Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

Re: Please introduce yourself!

vivico1 wrote:
So I was wondering, do you have bookplates that you send out? Some of us in this club with you this month would really enjoy that if you do.

I do have bookplates and I'd be happy to sign some for you. I'm sure you don't want to put your address here in such a public place, but please feel free to write to me through my web site, which is www.LisaSee.com. There's a place there where you can write to me directly. I'm the only one who sees those e-mails, so you don't have to worry about anyone else seeing your address.
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

ladybug wrote:
Hi, I am from California and have become a Lisa See addict. I used to teach California history, and On Gold Mountain was an incredible story of California "immigrants". I thought Snow Flower would be a hard one to follow, but Peony in Love is an outstanding read. I absolutely loved the character development. I am planning a trip to China in December, and Lisa's books give me such a wonderful perspective of the culture (much different than what is in the press right now). I also love your mysteries Lisa! Thank you for writing such compelling books.

Where are you going in China? Winter can be sooooooo cold! (Especially if you're from California. We're so pathetic when it comes to really cold weather.)
New User
read4me
0 Kudos

Hi I'm someone who loves to be part of book club discussions and came across this book on the B&N website so I decided to join in on the fun. I read an excerpt of the book and wanted to keep reading it! I love learning about cultures and the lives of women and what was available to them/us in years past and this book captured me. I am a big fan of Amy Tan and Joy Luck Club is my favorite novel - thus far anyway :smileyhappy: I am looking for some book gal pals to chat with and look forward to interacting with you. And, it's very cool to hear from the author too!
We know what we are, but not what we may be. `Shakespeare
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

read4me wrote:
Hi I'm someone who loves to be part of book club discussions and came across this book on the B&N website so I decided to join in on the fun. I read an excerpt of the book and wanted to keep reading it! I love learning about cultures and the lives of women and what was available to them/us in years past and this book captured me. I am a big fan of Amy Tan and Joy Luck Club is my favorite novel - thus far anyway :smileyhappy: I am looking for some book gal pals to chat with and look forward to interacting with you. And, it's very cool to hear from the author too!

Welcome! It's nice to have you.

Amy is not only a wonderful writer, but she's also a terrific woman and friend. I love her!
Reader 2
Zenpony
0 Kudos

Re: beauty

Hello everyone. I am Nancy from New York and I am so happy to find this Book Club site today. I have taught some sessions for Barnes and Noble On-line University classes in the past.Since I only found it late in the session, time only allowed for a fast scan of all the posts.
My interest in Lisa's books came from studies in some connected Chinese arts; Feng Shui, Taiji, Qi-Gung. I was lucky enough to have visited West Lake in China a few years ago. Our trip was very much tourist guided and I did not have a chance to really talk with many local people.

I was horrified by the descriptions of the foot binding. As a very young girl I would look at photos of women in there tiny shoes and never gave a thought as to how they got so small. I wear a size 9 so you can imagine how dainty those small shoes looked. This year I was treated for breast cancer and am now in the process of treatment. I am more than horrified, actually there is no word to describe how I am upset by some of what I have seen and heard in the treatment rooms, support groups and so called Women's Health Forums. Some meetings that were billed as Women's Health, were nothing more than advertisements for Breast "Reconstruction", most focused on making Perky, Young Looking, Better than before the disease. Some advocated doing surgery on the Healthy side so it would look as good as the new, Reconstruction. Very little was said about Health, finding a cure, or what was best for the patient. In addition, many young girls are being advised to have a double mastectomy and massive surgical reconstruction in case they get inherited cancer.

I have read all of Lisa's books and am awaiting the next. I also am hoping that in the future she will have the time to write about some of the stories of woman in the Western world. They are not that different from the ancient stories of the Chinese woman.

I would also like to urge everyone to attend Lisa's book signings when she is in your area, as she is a powerful, wonderful speaker.

Most Sincerely,
Nancy
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 656 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: