Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Lisa See - possible spoilers

* Possible Spoilers *

Lisa,

I have some questions for you. Please forgive me if they've already been explained here and I've missed them. My first question is about ghosts not being able to turn sharp corners. I know that the zig zag bridges are meant to deter them but why are they unable to do so?

I have another question from Part II page 168. When the doctor comes to visit Tan Ze he asks Wu Ren about "clouds and rain". He stresses that it is important to cure her lovesickness.

"Have you" - and here the doctor hesitated before going on - "been giving her your vital essence? A woman must take this internally to maintain good health. You cannot just spend it between the scented softness of her bound feet."

After reading this book I know that the bound feet are a privilege and the woman's pride and joy. The smaller the better. If I recall correctly they are a gift to be presented to a husband on their wedding night. After reading this passage I was wondering if this merely erotic or is it also a form of birth control?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
* Possible Spoilers *

Lisa,

I have some questions for you. Please forgive me if they've already been explained here and I've missed them. My first question is about ghosts not being able to turn sharp corners. I know that the zig zag bridges are meant to deter them but why are they unable to do so?

I have another question from Part II page 168. When the doctor comes to visit Tan Ze he asks Wu Ren about "clouds and rain". He stresses that it is important to cure her lovesickness.

"Have you" - and here the doctor hesitated before going on - "been giving her your vital essence? A woman must take this internally to maintain good health. You cannot just spend it between the scented softness of her bound feet."

After reading this book I know that the bound feet are a privilege and the woman's pride and joy. The smaller the better. If I recall correctly they are a gift to be presented to a husband on their wedding night. After reading this passage I was wondering if this merely erotic or is it also a form of birth control?

wow Wrighty what an interesting question! You know I read that too and was going to ask something about it , but then forgot. Was the feet during sex thing basically an erotic thing that some men liked and the doctor knew this or was it a common practice and why? I hadnt thought about it as birth control, there are so many ways to do that but good question now that you mention it. Along those lines too, did it hurt the women to have their feet unbound or someone messing with them? And yeah wrighty, I asked before about the zigzag thing with ghost,why couldnt ghost make sharp corners? I dont think it was answered or I, like you missed the answer on that one. So please help us out on this one Lisa, even if its again ok? :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
* Possible Spoilers *

Lisa,

I don't know why ghosts can't turn corners, but I don't know why vampires don't like garlic either. Sometimes these things are just arbitrary. Why would a fern frond be harmful to anyone -- especially a ghost? Just because it is, which isn't much of a reason.

I had never thought about bound feet as a means of birth control. That's such a fascinating idea. I'm going to have to do some research on that to see if that's true.
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:
* Possible Spoilers *

Lisa,

wow Wrighty what an interesting question! You know I read that too and was going to ask something about it , but then forgot. Was the feet during sex thing basically an erotic thing that some men liked and the doctor knew this or was it a common practice and why? I hadnt thought about it as birth control, there are so many ways to do that but good question now that you mention it. Along those lines too, did it hurt the women to have their feet unbound or someone messing with them? And yeah wrighty, I asked before about the zigzag thing with ghost,why couldnt ghost make sharp corners? I dont think it was answered or I, like you missed the answer on that one. So please help us out on this one Lisa, even if its again ok? :smileywink:

Women never unbound their feet except in the privacy of their own rooms. Bound feet were a woman's most private parts. Men never saw them naked.

And once feet were bound they couldn't be unbound. Women would remove their bindings to wash and care for their feet, and then they would wrap them up again.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ROFLLLL, dont make a woman with bronchitis laugh or giggle so hard! I loved this line MOM! lol lol. Sounds like what my mom used to say when I would bug her to death about something she didn't know hehehe. Lets hear this one again:

LisaSee wrote:
I don't know why ghosts can't turn corners, but I don't know why vampires don't like garlic either. Sometimes these things are just arbitrary. Why would a fern frond be harmful to anyone -- especially a ghost? Just because it is,"

Now you probably didnt mean that as funny as it sounds, but I am still laughing at a MOM answering the "but why is the sky blue??" question of a child :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:
* Possible Spoilers *

Lisa,

Women never unbound their feet except in the privacy of their own rooms. Bound feet were a woman's most private parts. Men never saw them naked.

And once feet were bound they couldn't be unbound. Women would remove their bindings to wash and care for their feet, and then they would wrap them up again.

But Lisa, a few of us are trying to understand this line, without sounding like pervs or something, what was this all about??

"You cannot just spend it between the scented softness of her bound feet." Now you wrote that line in there, the doc is asking him something sexual about his essence being spent on here feet. You cant write that and then not explain.:smileytongue:
Vivian
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

LisaSee wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:
* Possible Spoilers *

Lisa,

But Lisa, a few of us are trying to understand this line, without sounding like pervs or something, what was this all about??

"You cannot just spend it between the scented softness of her bound feet." Now you wrote that line in there, the doc is asking him something sexual about his essence being spent on here feet. You cant write that and then not explain.:smileytongue:

That line means exactly what it says. Men used those feet for all kinds of things. I don't think the B&N folks would like me to get too graphic about it, but whatever you might imagine a man might do with those bound feet, he did.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:
That line means exactly what it says. Men used those feet for all kinds of things. I don't think the B&N folks would like me to get too graphic about it, but whatever you might imagine a man might do with those bound feet, he did.

Thanks for your reply Lisa. That's pretty much all I was looking for. I wanted to know if that was a common form of, ah, "recreation". :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
seagate
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Lisa See?

Please tell us about your next book. What flower is in the title and have you started it as yet?
While you are taking your well deserved rest from book discussion here , do you think you could entice your mother to join us ? Since "THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU " is coming out in paperback and sounds like a great book for discussion , it would be fun for us to join her here. What a talented mother- dAUghter combo!
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

seagate wrote:
Please tell us about your next book. What flower is in the title and have you started it as yet?
While you are taking your well deserved rest from book discussion here , do you think you could entice your mother to join us ? Since "THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU " is coming out in paperback and sounds like a great book for discussion , it would be fun for us to join her here. What a talented mother- dAUghter combo!

The new book doesn't have a flower in the title. First, I thought that would be too many flowers. I don't want to be known as the flower lady. (Or think of Sue Grafton. She's still slogging her way through the alphabet.) But second, I really love the title "Shanghai Girls."

The book starts in Shanghai in 1937 with two sisters, who are models for advertisments? (Have any of you ever seen these Chinese poster girls from that time? They sold everything from soap to bug spray to cigarettes.) They come to Los Angeles in arranged marriages. Most people don't know that the US had and still has a lot of arranged marriages. We had a lot of them on the Chinese side of my family. They'll live in one of the four Chinatowns in Los Angeles at that time. This one was called China City. It was one square block surrounded by a miniature Great Wall. Inside it was built from the leftover sets from the filimg of The Good Earth.

Anyway, they will have lots of adventures and misadventures -- all based on historical events. But mainly this is the story of two sisters. A sister is the person who's know you your entire life, who should stand by you and loveyou no matter, but she is also the one person who knows exactly where to drive the knife to hurt you the most.

As for my mom, she's the BEST!!! But I don't think she can enter this discussion. It would be great if B & N did a book club with her though. She is so funny and witty. She'd be far more entertaining than I have been.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Your new book sounds good. I will keep an eye out for it. As for bringing your mother in here, why wouldn't B&N let her do one with you? For that matter, ask for the same moderator and who would know! :smileyvery-happy: hehehe. Or if nothing else, have her join in the discussion as a participant. In the last club I was in, this one woman popped up and we found out from her and the author, she was the woman one of the characters was named after in the book and a very good friend of the author. So much so, we learned all kinds of things from his scuba diving friend who wound up in his book about him LOL. Was rather amusing.

Hey, along those lines, something I KNOW we would like to know if you can tell us. The way they do these clubs now, we dont know until a couple of weeks before the club what the new ones are going to be, not the 1-3 months before that we used to and sometimes thats why not everyone gets through a book before OR during the bookclubs now. We need more time to know, so we can plan too, since most of us are doing at least one every month. If you plan to do another B&N bookclub, could you post it on your website ahead, when you know for sure your going to? We could watch for it there. We just dont know here anymore.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

seagate wrote:

The new book doesn't have a flower in the title. First, I thought that would be too many flowers. I don't want to be known as the flower lady. (Or think of Sue Grafton. She's still slogging her way through the alphabet.) But second, I really love the title "Shanghai Girls."

The book starts in Shanghai in 1937 with two sisters, who are models for advertisments? (Have any of you ever seen these Chinese poster girls from that time? They sold everything from soap to bug spray to cigarettes.) They come to Los Angeles in arranged marriages. Most people don't know that the US had and still has a lot of arranged marriages. We had a lot of them on the Chinese side of my family. They'll live in one of the four Chinatowns in Los Angeles at that time. This one was called China City. It was one square block surrounded by a miniature Great Wall. Inside it was built from the leftover sets from the filimg of The Good Earth.

Anyway, they will have lots of adventures and misadventures -- all based on historical events. But mainly this is the story of two sisters. A sister is the person who's know you your entire life, who should stand by you and loveyou no matter, but she is also the one person who knows exactly where to drive the knife to hurt you the most.

As for my mom, she's the BEST!!! But I don't think she can enter this discussion. It would be great if B & N did a book club with her though. She is so funny and witty. She'd be far more entertaining than I have been.

Your new book sounds great. And anybody can join so maybe your Mom can join incognito.

Tried to look for what these girls looked like and only came up with the url below:

http://www.hinkyimport.com/chshgiadpo1.html

The above looks like only one of the girls..LOL
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Your new book sounds good. I will keep an eye out for it. As for bringing your mother in here, why wouldn't B&N let her do one with you? For that matter, ask for the same moderator and who would know! :smileyvery-happy: hehehe. Or if nothing else, have her join in the discussion as a participant. In the last club I was in, this one woman popped up and we found out from her and the author, she was the woman one of the characters was named after in the book and a very good friend of the author. So much so, we learned all kinds of things from his scuba diving friend who wound up in his book about him LOL. Was rather amusing.

Hey, along those lines, something I KNOW we would like to know if you can tell us. The way they do these clubs now, we dont know until a couple of weeks before the club what the new ones are going to be, not the 1-3 months before that we used to and sometimes thats why not everyone gets through a book before OR during the bookclubs now. We need more time to know, so we can plan too, since most of us are doing at least one every month. If you plan to do another B&N bookclub, could you post it on your website ahead, when you know for sure your going to? We could watch for it there. We just dont know here anymore.

That's a great idea. I will definitely post it on my web site the next time, if they ask me back. You never know what will happen.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

That's a great idea. I will definitely post it on my web site the next time, if they ask me back. You never know what will happen.

thanks Lisa, that would be a great help! And I bet they will ask you back too.
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 256 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: