Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

Re: The Inner Self and the Inner Chamber

vivico1 wrote:
Lisa, I am surprised that you were surprised about the strong feelings on religion. Hey religion is always one of those volatile subjects, and we arent always respectful of another's religion and I am guilty of being on both sides of that too. But to me, why it shouldnt be surprising here that there were such strong feelings is because we are reading a book about a culture whose value of women is very hard to take, as a woman. We wanted to cry out for these woman and at times, like in the beginning, scream at some of these women because as we have said so many times, what we dont like in ourselves, or EVEN what we dont like in our society, we tend to take out on others. Many of us were mad at Peony's mother because we didnt understand in the beginning, we only saw with our eyes of today and Peony's young heart of yesterday. You as the writer, knew all about Peony's mother and her love so yeah, I bet you were biting your tongue and wondering too if we would ever change our views of her.

But why there should be no surprise at the high running feelings about religion in this book to me Lisa is, again, this is a book about how women are valued, or actually not valued, in a culture or often by each other and then when you put that in a setting of a book where 2/3s of it is about spiritual beliefs and practices and we see there that even in the afterlife women are still controlled, dependent on the living and yet controlling of the living, really strong feelings are going to come out. Heck we see that within religions even, if one part thinks women aren't treated equally as men and another part says they are but in a different way and the roles cant be the same. Its one of the biggest battlegrounds within the Christian communities. And I don't want to go there now, just saying. But in a book that makes women feel so much about our place in life, to hear some of the things about this cultures beliefs about a woman's place even in the afterlife? How could that not get really emotional about spiritual/religious beliefs? Some other book could have been set right in the middle of a particular religion but been about a different subject and it not get nearly as much discussion as here. Does any of this make sense? I am not sure if I am getting out what I mean about why it would be even more so in this book.

I want to say that altho Part II was really difficult for me and I was angry with Peony, I was angry with a system that would allow such things to happen to one after this life and keep such unhappy dead so tied to this world too (yes and happy but thats not so disturbing is it). I hated the idea that someone who had passed on could use me as a puppet. It may be a real religion, but its not one that I could handle. Don't get me wrong tho, I found it very fascinating and wouldn't mind knowing more about it, but I wouldnt want to be a part of it. I would LOVE to go to China and learn about the Buddhist religion there and visit in the temples if allowed as long as I didn't do anything that would offend their religion. And it made for a great backdrop for a story about women. Its a wonderful way to discover these aspects about women, using this life and the next. But yeah, it bothered me a lot. I really didnt know if i wanted to finish the book, it was just so depressing to me on this side and the other side of the veil. But I still felt I could learn something with this book, about me, about them and in this fascinating, entertaining way, so I stayed with it.

Lisa, by the end of part III I learned a lot. This will almost sound like my summing up of the book for me already and it may be, so i may refer everyone back to this note at the end of the month for my reactions :smileywink: . But I learned a lot about this culture, I learned about some really fascinating real women of this time period. I think the writers were incredible women. But you know what? I learned that so were these other women, who had led their lives in what at first hand is just everyday ways of the time and place. I never hated Peony's mother but I was angry at her over Peony's care BEFORE she got to the point where no one could help her. But by the end, I also found that what I thought must be there, that we werent seeing in her, was there and more. I think she and grandmother were incredible women and I found Peony starting to grown into one. By the end of the book, I found that I had read a really fascinating story told in a new and different way than I had ever read before and that I was so glad I finished it. I am glad it made me have strong feelings, about religion, including my own, and strong feelings again about injustices towards women, by culture, religion, societies and by as we talked about so much, or sure tried to, by other women. It was a book to entertain yes Lisa, but one that caused much thought and when the two can come together, hey to me, thats pretty awesome. If I would have stopped when I was really starting to get upset with what almost felt like hopelessness to me and that it wasnt going to change or go anywhere but to tell me more about that, I never would have learned these things or felt these things and I am glad I hung in and really really glad you have been here with us.

There was one book some of us read this past year, that was a pretty good story and a young girl going through some real growing pains and no one around that even seemed to see her and it was depressing but a well written story and so we (some are in here - the horse story ladies) kept reading thinking this girl was going to learn things tho, she was so smart and lets see what she does with it in the end. MAN were we wrong! This was the author's first book I believe but the ending, well there wasnt one, it stays with these very depressed people and her just looking at them at another time and you dont know what she is doing now as an adult, if shes ok, did she learn anything, is she another casualty or what! It was just like reading one more depressing chapter and THE END. Several of us ask the author about it, or mentioned that it just stopped, didnt seem to go anywhere. She said she was advised to change the ending (give it one I would hope) but she didnt want to change it. Now I totally can understand that feeling of not having anyone messing with your writing but sometimes some constructive criticism is a good thing if you want to do something for a living. She was a nice young woman and listened and wasnt upset with us at all and no one said anything in a mean way at all, heck we have said worse in here to each other LOL. But, see, this was not the case in this book. What for me, was interesting but seemed depressing and going to just stay there, actually took me on a journey (laborious at times cause I didnt understand a lot of the cultural things) with women and one of understanding, for Peony and for me and thats worth something. What I feel about the book on this end of it, is really different than going into it. The story was really very good and in the end, there was enlightenment about these women... about me. Thanks for that.

Are we summing up already? Yikes! The time has gone by very quickly. I'm not saying I shouldn't have been surprised, because I shouldn't have been for all the reasons you listed. Nevertheless, I was suprised. I don't consider that a bad thing. Quite the contrary! It was wonderful, because it showed me how connected people were to the story. What if people hadn't cared at all about Peony's mother? That would have been very sad to me, because it would have shown that people didn't have an emotional reaction. And people should have a strong reaction to a religion and tradition that is so harsh on women. I have more to say, but my computer's acting up. I have to shut down and reboot. Back soon.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

Are we summing up already? Yikes! The time has gone by very quickly. I'm not saying I shouldn't have been surprised, because I shouldn't have been for all the reasons you listed. Nevertheless, I was suprised. I don't consider that a bad thing. Quite the contrary! It was wonderful, because it showed me how connected people were to the story. What if people hadn't cared at all about Peony's mother? That would have been very sad to me, because it would have shown that people didn't have an emotional reaction. And people should have a strong reaction to a religion and tradition that is so harsh on women. I have more to say, but my computer's acting up. I have to shut down and reboot. Back soon.

Lisa, we got a whole week left and I knew when I got too much into this, thats how it was going to sound and thats why I said, when we get to the summing up, I will just refer people back here lol. I am sorry and I do apologize to everyone actually for getting so darn verbose about things. I wrote all this here just because here is where I thought about it. But I know I can bore people with so much writing in a bookclub post.

Anyway, no dont run off on us now Lisa, HEY, just pretend this was the END of the book and you read our first chapter and then SKIPPED to the last chapter and now we got to go back some LOL. I hope you have a good sense of humor, cause I am going to tease you about that now lol. :smileywink: The weekends are usually slow in the clubs but we do have all of next week and hopefully everyone will be done and we can discuss things as a whole. Well, Ok, so i already did...I will read. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
seagate
0 Kudos

LIsa is keeping this discussion alive. I just browsed through some other groups, checking the dates of the postings. Some died in August and early Sept. To enter this discussion we have purchased the book. The fact that Lisa See continues to discuss it with us is not to enhance sales but because she appreciates her readers and wants us to enjoy the book to the fullest.We are lucky to have her with us. Thanks so much, Lisa..
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

No, no, no! We're not wrapping up yet! We're not letting you go that quickly. We just want to let you know how much we appreciate you and your book and your unexpected moderating skills. We've got more to say and more to ask.
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

seagate wrote:
LIsa is keeping this discussion alive. I just browsed through some other groups, checking the dates of the postings. Some died in August and early Sept. To enter this discussion we have purchased the book. The fact that Lisa See continues to discuss it with us is not to enhance sales but because she appreciates her readers and wants us to enjoy the book to the fullest.We are lucky to have her with us. Thanks so much, Lisa..

It surely can't be to enhance sales, because there aren't very many of us here! But I have to say I've enjoyed having a smaller group. We've been able to get into some things in real depth.

For our last week, what shall we all talk about?

Hey, by the way, these last couple of days I've been up in Colorado with my husband. We thought we'd sneak away for the fall colors. But it's hard to predict these things. This weekened things are still pretty green. But boy oh boy, it's nice to be away for a few days.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

seagate wrote:

It surely can't be to enhance sales, because there aren't very many of us here! But I have to say I've enjoyed having a smaller group. We've been able to get into some things in real depth.

Hey, by the way, these last couple of days I've been up in Colorado with my husband. We thought we'd sneak away for the fall colors. But it's hard to predict these things. This weekened things are still pretty green. But boy oh boy, it's nice to be away for a few days.

Good for you..I just spent some time on another mini vacation after a long trip to the Northwest. I am going to get back to reading Peony this last week..so I am trying to stay away from the discussions for now. So I hope you are still around and are not "wrapping up" so soon.

I bet that there are a few folks still catching up like myself.

Thanks again for everything to date (you have been a most active moderator)and as I complete my reading I can reread some of your comments/responses to questions that were asked. Being in the middle of reading multiple books has taken me some time getting caught up and I didn't want to rush my reading of your fine novel.

Appreciate very much your time and your interest.

Regards,

Bentley
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

seagate wrote:

Oh man I would love to be up there with you in Colorado! I grew up in Northern New Mexico and Az. I love the country up there. One time for a small family vacation, we just took out a map of Colorado and my mother just stuck her finger right down on it. It was on a little tiny town in the SW part in the mountains with only one road in. We called the Chamber of Commerce to see if there was anything to do there and man, it turned out to be the best place! I would love to go back there again with someone during any Aug. It was over 100 here that year but we had light jackets on up there in the middle of the afternoon when we went fishing. Then it would rain softly each day for only about 1/2 an hour and nothing smells like the air in the mountains after a rain!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
seagate
0 Kudos

We are Colorado bound in Oct. when our new grandson arrives.There is somethng so spectacular about that state. I have to keep reminding myself as we drive that the Mts. are real and not a painted back drop . Enjoy your trip. Lisa.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

wow! it is so beautiful, Colorado. Two summers ago I visited there for almost a month. It was fabulous. The mountains are simply to die for the view. Denver is a cool city also. I want to go back some day. The weather is so awesome. Humidity is a killer here in Va. but up there its awesome with out it. Snowcapped mountains in the summer. Ohhh! so beautiful.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

When I was 18, I bought an acre and a half of land at the bottom of Wolf Creek Pass, on the outskirts of Alamosa Colorado. I went to see it in the Summer and it was great weather and yes you could see snow up on the pass. I had planned on putting a little trailer on the land when I got enough money, and moving there and going to college at the University there. But, that summer, while I was working to get money for school, I was at an intersection at a red light when I got rearended at 50 miles an hour. Luckily there was no one in the intersection because it threw me through it and up into a motel parking lot. The cops said that its a good thing my trunk was completely lined with books (I was moving to a little hole in the wall to live) because all those PAPER books, helped absorb the blow and kept this guys truck from coming up into the car on me. While getting well from severe whiplash and pain I could barely handle, I was off work for 2 1/2 months that I got behind on my payments on the land. I told them to please be patient with me, I was going to be getting a settlement check any day now from the accident. (It was only enough to cover my doctor bills, not even help with another car or bills) Anyway, I got the check two days after I got a check in the mail from the land company I was buying it from for $1 and a letter telling me, it had been 3 months to the day and the land was theirs again. They really didnt want to work with me because the land had gone up to three times what I was paying for it in just one year. They wanted the land to resale.

So, lost my land, no money for college, lost work and my car, BUT I got two things to say...seeeee BOOKS ARE A GOOD THING!! lol and the other...well, whenever I had moved before I had always put my books in boxes of course, but when I went to move this time, something kept telling me, dont put them in boxes, pack all of them into every inch of your trunk loose. It was a strong prompting and one of those that I know is for a reason and had already come to recognize that fact, so I did just that. That is what created my buffer of life. Like I tell everyone now, never put off a prompting!
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
When I was 18, I bought an acre and a half of land at the bottom of Wolf Creek Pass, on the outskirts of Alamosa Colorado. I went to see it in the Summer and it was great weather and yes you could see snow up on the pass. I had planned on putting a little trailer on the land when I got enough money, and moving there and going to college at the University there. But, that summer, while I was working to get money for school, I was at an intersection at a red light when I got rearended at 50 miles an hour. Luckily there was no one in the intersection because it threw me through it and up into a motel parking lot. The cops said that its a good thing my trunk was completely lined with books (I was moving to a little hole in the wall to live) because all those PAPER books, helped absorb the blow and kept this guys truck from coming up into the car on me. While getting well from severe whiplash and pain I could barely handle, I was off work for 2 1/2 months that I got behind on my payments on the land. I told them to please be patient with me, I was going to be getting a settlement check any day now from the accident. (It was only enough to cover my doctor bills, not even help with another car or bills) Anyway, I got the check two days after I got a check in the mail from the land company I was buying it from for $1 and a letter telling me, it had been 3 months to the day and the land was theirs again. They really didnt want to work with me because the land had gone up to three times what I was paying for it in just one year. They wanted the land to resale.

So, lost my land, no money for college, lost work and my car, BUT I got two things to say...seeeee BOOKS ARE A GOOD THING!! lol and the other...well, whenever I had moved before I had always put my books in boxes of course, but when I went to move this time, something kept telling me, dont put them in boxes, pack all of them into every inch of your trunk loose. It was a strong prompting and one of those that I know is for a reason and had already come to recognize that fact, so I did just that. That is what created my buffer of life. Like I tell everyone now, never put off a prompting!

Vivico..I think you should write a novel about your life with everything that you have gone through. Your books saved your life.

Take care and I hope things are a lot better for you now.

Regards,

Bentley
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Vivico..I think you should write a novel about your life with everything that you have gone through. Your books saved your life.

Regards,

Bentley

Thank you Bentley. I have been told my life is a soap opera LOL. Its a good life, lonely at times but good. I wouldnt change anything in the past, but I wouldnt want to relive a ton of it either :smileywink: I will share with you a little prayer I said one day, I had found out I had cervical cancer in my early 30s, and this after a disc fusion in my back, both knees operated on,had developed agoraphobia and a severe panic disorder which at that time (some what today but not AS bad) left me totally homebound for 8 years..and anyway you get the picture...I was standing in my living room, looking out my window and crying, scared, tired and all those things and then a prayer came to my heart. I said, "Heavenly Father, if I have to go through this too now, let me learn what it is I am suppose to learn from this so that I do not waste why this is truly happening." I say that prayer a lot now when I go through hard trials because see, I believe all troubles and trials we go through are experiences for us to further grow and learn from. You may not want to take the lesson and you sure hope you only have to take it once, but there is nothing we go through that we can not learn something from that can help us grow. And trust me, I am not one of these Lifetime Movie type people who goes through some ordeals soooo magnificently. It ain't like that with me :smileywink: . Sometimes I go kicking and screaming but then a moment will come, when I feel that prayer and then thats what I want the most, to just learn what it is I can learn from this particular life experience. Sometimes, for me, that's learning how to just plain ask for help.

I think thats been a big lesson for me in my life because I have basically been raising myself since i was a little girl and I considered myself on my own at 16, and my family moved away before I graduated High School but I stayed alone and finished. I told the counselors there, that if I ever came in to get a slip to get back into classes because I had been gone the day before, they were just going to have to trust me that it was because I was sick cause I was the only one who could vouch for me. They understood and agreed and I think I only had to do that once anyway lol.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Regards,

Bentley

Thank you Bentley. I have been told my life is a soap opera LOL. Its a good life, lonely at times but good. I wouldnt change anything in the past, but I wouldnt want to relive a ton of it either :smileywink: I will share with you a little prayer I said one day, I had found out I had cervical cancer in my early 30s, and this after a disc fusion in my back, both knees operated on,had developed agoraphobia and a severe panic disorder which at that time (some what today but not AS bad) left me totally homebound for 8 years..and anyway you get the picture...I was standing in my living room, looking out my window and crying, scared, tired and all those things and then a prayer came to my heart. I said, "Heavenly Father, if I have to go through this too now, let me learn what it is I am suppose to learn from this so that I do not waste why this is truly happening." I say that prayer a lot now when I go through hard trials because see, I believe all troubles and trials we go through are experiences for us to further grow and learn from. You may not want to take the lesson and you sure hope you only have to take it once, but there is nothing we go through that we can not learn something from that can help us grow. And trust me, I am not one of these Lifetime Movie type people who goes through some ordeals soooo magnificently. It ain't like that with me :smileywink: . Sometimes I go kicking and screaming but then a moment will come, when I feel that prayer and then thats what I want the most, to just learn what it is I can learn from this particular life experience. Sometimes, for me, that's learning how to just plain ask for help.

I think thats been a big lesson for me in my life because I have basically been raising myself since i was a little girl and I considered myself on my own at 16, and my family moved away before I graduated High School but I stayed alone and finished. I told the counselors there, that if I ever came in to get a slip to get back into classes because I had been gone the day before, they were just going to have to trust me that it was because I was sick cause I was the only one who could vouch for me. They understood and agreed and I think I only had to do that once anyway lol.

Pretty amazing vivico..and thank you for sharing the prayer. You are now not so homebound I trust. Take care.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:I was standing in my living room, looking out my window and crying, scared, tired and all those things and then a prayer came to my heart. I said, "Heavenly Father, if I have to go through this too now, let me learn what it is I am suppose to learn from this so that I do not waste why this is truly happening." I say that prayer a lot now when I go through hard trials because see, I believe all troubles and trials we go through are experiences for us to further grow and learn from. You may not want to take the lesson and you sure hope you only have to take it once, but there is nothing we go through that we can not learn something from that can help us grow. And trust me, I am not one of these Lifetime Movie type people who goes through some ordeals soooo magnificently. It ain't like that with me :smileywink: . Sometimes I go kicking and screaming but then a moment will come, when I feel that prayer and then thats what I want the most, to just learn what it is I can learn from this particular life experience. Sometimes, for me, that's learning how to just plain ask for help.

Pretty amazing vivico..and thank you for sharing the prayer. You are now not so homebound I trust. Take care.

You're right Viv. And when things get tough in my family, and we've had some tough times, I always try to remember that it could be worse. It might not be easy, but it could definitely be worse. I try to always be grateful for the blessings I do have.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

I hope you've enjoyed Colorado Lisa. My brother lived near Denver for 5 years and I got to visit him twice. It was beautiful to see the mountains and it was growing like crazy there. They sold their house at just the right time. We had great visits and it was so different from the green hills and valleys of New York state.
Seagate, have a nice trip and congrats on the new grandson on the way. That new baby smell and those tiny feet are the best!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:I was standing in my living room, looking out my window and crying, scared, tired and all those things and then a prayer came to my heart. I said, "Heavenly Father, if I have to go through this too now, let me learn what it is I am suppose to learn from this so that I do not waste why this is truly happening." I say that prayer a lot now when I go through hard trials because see, I believe all troubles and trials we go through are experiences for us to further grow and learn from. You may not want to take the lesson and you sure hope you only have to take it once, but there is nothing we go through that we can not learn something from that can help us grow. And trust me, I am not one of these Lifetime Movie type people who goes through some ordeals soooo magnificently. It ain't like that with me :smileywink: . Sometimes I go kicking and screaming but then a moment will come, when I feel that prayer and then thats what I want the most, to just learn what it is I can learn from this particular life experience. Sometimes, for me, that's learning how to just plain ask for help.

You're right Viv. And when things get tough in my family, and we've had some tough times, I always try to remember that it could be worse. It might not be easy, but it could definitely be worse. I try to always be grateful for the blessings I do have.

The thing is too, if your not a religious person, its still something you can say to yourself, ok, if i have to go through this, let me learn what it is I am to learn from this, so nothing is wasted. I dont believe in coincidences, so I always want to learn what I can from what happens in life.
Vivian
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

seagate wrote:
We are Colorado bound in Oct. when our new grandson arrives.There is somethng so spectacular about that state. I have to keep reminding myself as we drive that the Mts. are real and not a painted back drop . Enjoy your trip. Lisa.

Sometimes it truly does seem like a back drop. A postcard at least. It seems unbelievable that a place can look so perfect.
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

What a story! If it weren't for books, you wouldn't be here chatting with us today!
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Regards,

Bentley

Remember when I said somewhere in here that life is stranger than fiction. Your life, Vivico, truly is stranger than fiction. And this brings me to a new topic that I thought of in the middle of the night. It's something I'd like to write about in my next book, which I told everyone about recently. What's the difference between fate, destiny, and fortune? It seems like all of those have played a role in your life, V. Anyway, I throw out the question to everyone...
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

LisaSee wrote:

I hope you've enjoyed Colorado Lisa. My brother lived near Denver for 5 years and I got to visit him twice. It was beautiful to see the mountains and it was growing like crazy there. They sold their house at just the right time. We had great visits and it was so different from the green hills and valleys of New York state.
Seagate, have a nice trip and congrats on the new grandson on the way. That new baby smell and those tiny feet are the best!

I forgot to say congratulations to Seagate too. Chinese would say that you've just taken another step on the great ladder of life. To be a grandma. Wow!!!
Users Online
Currently online:23 members 320 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: