Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Maire - Cats. (Off topic.)

As we speak there is a Siamese tabby standing on my lap/purring/ walking on the desk/walking over the keyblfjla;jls;a;

Choisya wrote:
LOL - that party sounds so much fun that it is worth repeating! I am 75 next year and expect my 4 children (boy girl boy girl) to give me a shindig of some peculiar kind:smileysurprised:.

Cleo was very much overshadowed by the larger and very loving Cagney and is coming into her own as a fussy cat only now, so perhaps she is pleased and not mourning at all:smileyhappy: If you get cats, tabbies are a good choice because they have a very 'laid back' temperament. If you can get one crossed with a Siamese, go for it as that is a good cross and makes for affection plus a lot of talking - Siamese are very talkative:smileyhappy:. Black cats tend to be aloof and independent, which is a trait that I like in cats. It must be their former association with witches!

If there is a Chat thread on Ilana's board we had better move to it or start talking about Emotions or Virginia Woolf or....

maire wrote:
hey choisya...

i am enjoying my last day of being 65 by remembering the fiasco of the party my boys threw for me last year...my wholly dysfunctional family of origin attended and wreaked drunken havoc for 9 hours INDOORS due to rainstorm...my boys continued to barbecue outside throughout,btw,laughing their heads off... knowing that this will not happen this year fills me with sighs of relief...

interesting about the CRACK word also meaning CHAT...however,i am a solitary woman and so far,here,in madoc,prefer it...i chat away to myself,always have,2 way conversations...

i am sorry to hear abt. cagney...such a lovely cat from photos and descriptions...cleo must be in mourning...by the end of this summer i am going to adopt 2 tabbies,i hope tabbies,from the local shelter...have been w/o for too long...3 years now...lots of mice in the house,too,which shd. make for some rollicking/frollicking adventures...lots of ants,too,this spring...do cats hunt ants? well, maybe i have to get an anteater,too...luckily,there is a gaggle of them living in the forest nearby...

Choisya wrote:
Have a good birthday Maire! I can just about give you a decade!

'Crack' is also an Irish word for a chat so I hope you have converted your house to a 'talking shop' now, or are you fairly solitary? I love living alone and am a very merry widow:smileyhappy:

This new BN website does not support our photographs but if and when you get a digital camera, please email some to me. I love my digi camera and take lots of photos of my garden. I bought a new garden 'flag' from the US last week - it is of a Tabby cat and is in commemoration of my lovely old cat, Cagney, who died in March:smileysad:. She is sadly missed by myself and her half-sister Cleo.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: WELCOME Maire, and happy birthday!

Choisya, there is that possibility we had met. It's hard to know who I'm talking to these days, with all of these different log-in names. :smileywink: Maire writes in such an unmistakeable style, I was almost certain we hadn't met before now.....there goes the short term memory loss...along with the long term! LOL... Had I met you before TTT? When it was BNU, I had never ventured out of contemporary literary fiction.

Kathy S.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Choisya, you're still in the introduction section, so I think you're safe! LOL...this cat conversation is too funny...emotions, huh? How many emotions can you pick out, by looking at a cat's face? Now, Laurel's cat looks pretty intelligent to me, it can type! Bye the way, do Anteaters come in gaggles? :smileywink:

Kathy S.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

maire wrote:hey, i think we have the bases covered,eh wot?

you do, of course. Just try to keep the focus on books.

about the Woolfs: They liked dogs more than cats, and got one as a gift from Woolf's lover, Vita Sackville-West, called Pinker.
Leonard, Virginia's Husband, was almost pathologically in love with his little marmoset (monkey) called Mitz. It used to ride around on his shoulder.
Virignia also wrote a biography of Elizabeth Barret Browning's dog, called Flush: A Biography.
They weren't cat people so much. but, well. dogs. monkeys. stuff.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 06-05-200709:31 AM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
maire
0 Kudos

re:relating lived life to life in books...

so...does this mean there is no chat room now,in this new format?

what abt. talking abt. rock and roll in this space?

i think VW wd. have been a rocker...along the lines of patti smith,perhaps...

or maybe stevie nicks...she dresses kinda victorian...

there is a famous canadian group called LIGHTHOUSE,but alas, no women in it......relating lived life to life in books...
Frequent Contributor
maire
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from Ilana

just occurred to me to ask you...

how long has this discussion been going on?

when does it end?

how do i find out what comes next?

is there a place where i can read ALL the profiles at once?

will you be doing this again? when?

i think this is a terrific idea,this LITERATURE AND LIFE group and shd. ALWAYS be offered...and you shd. ALWAYS be the moderator...oh oh...i may be getting a tad grandiose here...better check my meds...
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
As we speak there is a Siamese tabby standing on my lap/purring/ walking on the desk/walking over the keyblfjla;jls;a;

And is he/she talkative Laurel? At cat shows over here Siamese are judged first because they kick up such a racket! Cagney's mother was a pedigree Siamese who got loose one night and met the local tabby...:smileyvery-happy: She was my 13th cat (Cleo is the 14th) and the most affectionate and gentle one I have ever known. There appear to have been many writers who like cats, perhaps because they are less demanding of your time than dogs who need 'walkies':smileyhappy:.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_cats

http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Animals/Cats-In-Literature-and-History-2865.html
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Each Friday here, I post some real-world wisdom I get from a classic, and we're free to discuss related ideas thru the week. We should (as you already hinted in this thread), keep the topic close to that one thing: the life insights we get from books.

About your post right before this one: I actually think V Woolf would have really connected with Patti Smith. I know some friends who remind me of both women at once. There's some common link there--buck authority, love women, do it without dogma, etc..

maire wrote:
just occurred to me to ask you...

how long has this discussion been going on?

when does it end?

Ilana

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Laurel wrote:

And is he/she talkative Laurel? At cat shows over here Siamese are judged first because they kick up such a racket! Cagney's mother was a pedigree Siamese who got loose one night and met the local tabby...:smileyvery-happy:

Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm reading a book, Precious sits on the book and purrs. If I'm reading the newspaper, she rubs her face all over the page (can't resist the smell of newsprint). If I'm writing, she licks my words (can't resist the taste of ink). If I'm eating broccoli, she sits quietly and begs. (Riley, the tabby, on the other hand, only begs for asparagus.) If I'm sleeping, she brings me her "mousies" one at a time and announces such with her loudest YOWWWWL. If I'm ready to take her to the vet, she's in the closet. (Sorry, strayed from books at the end.) Both Precious and Riley were street cats who found me in Florida and moved with me to Washington State.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
New User
apooz
0 Kudos

sure we'll write a book... i'm in INDIA... and a bit of free time on my hand... it'll be a real challenge collaborating online... can offer to do the needful... you're not kidding r you?
New User
apooz
0 Kudos

How the hell does one communicate real-time? Don't have your email, MSN ID, Yahoo ID or Google Talk ID? Surely, you'll need to show the way...
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Glad to hear back from you. Didn't know if you'd given up on us here. India? How fantastic. Where? For how long?
But: Let's not really write this book online, apooz. We can talk rhetoric and people here can collaborate. Otherwise, tell me how india is?

apooz wrote:
How the hell does one communicate real-time? Don't have your email, MSN ID, Yahoo ID or Google Talk ID? Surely, you'll need to show the way...

Ilana

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Well, Ilana, your first three journal entries have certainly provoked interesting discussions. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with for future weeks!
0 Kudos

That's nice of you to say. Your really good post today on factual vs. emotional political discussion kind of "scooped" what I had planned...so I know you'll really be able to deepen tomorrow's related post.

Everyman wrote:
Well, Ilana, your first three journal entries have certainly provoked interesting discussions. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with for future weeks!

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Gosh, I am agreeing with you again!:smileysurprised: I wonder if I am sickening for something??:smileyvery-happy:

Everyman wrote:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Gosh, I am agreeing with you again!:smileysurprised: I wonder if I am sickening for something??

Run -- don't walk, run -- to your doctor's office. This could be something really serious. :smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos

No, Everyman, Choisya's just *love* sick!!:smileyvery-happy:

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:
Gosh, I am agreeing with you again!:smileysurprised: I wonder if I am sickening for something??

Run -- don't walk, run -- to your doctor's office. This could be something really serious. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
No, Everyman, Choisya's just *love* sick!!:smileyvery-happy:

I'm not going to touch that one!
0 Kudos

Hi, Ilana,

Just joined the clubs. I was wandering around the B&N site and saw a discussion of Plato and Wittgenstein. Wow! No resemblance to the real-life book club I mistakenly joined a year ago, which has since died. When no one understood the book we were reading except me, I knew it wouldn't last long.

So I'm a newbie here. Do you moderate all the groups yourself?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Contributor
ianbradleym
0 Kudos

Ilana,

I'm new to the site, but I must say that Michael Cunningham is a real influence to my outlook and my writing. I especially like what I've read of Specimen Days but was turned off by the alien story. The Hours was excellent, and I attempted to get him to write alongside my efforts with what I had finished on my first novel after being told that it didn't have enough narration. I can be reached at ianbradley@hotmail.com. I enjoy the Barnes & Noble book clubs and what I've seen these past two nights being here.