Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

All the Old Posts: An Index of Blog Entries from Weeks 31-63

[ Edited ]

Below are the titles and first sentences from the blog entries from weeks 31-63.  Click on the title to see that week's blog and discussion:

Week 31: Michael Pollan, Fasting, and a Clean Colon
One of the bestsellers this month is Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food.

Week 32: Nietzsche and Wilde: Do People Make, or Discover, Beauty?
I’m teaching a class on Friedrich Nietzsche these days.

Week 33: Albert Camus and Buddhism: Please Turn off the Brain
There’s a style of therapy that takes its cue from Buddhist meditation.

Week 34: Your Bookshelf is Your Soul Fingerprint

I was at a party last night. Being an introvert, I don’t make small talk well at parties, and I often end up looking at the host’s bookshelf rather than at other people.  

Week 35: Teach Me About Emily Dickinson

I’m a novice when it comes to Emily Dickinson.  

Week 36: Do Injured Artists Have the Biggest Breakthroughs?

A lot of artists have breakthroughs because of personal deficits.  

Week 37: Sympathy for Margaret Seltzer: The Life of the False Memoir

Some things are wonderful about our uber-capitalist culture.  

Week 38: Dr. Seuss and Racial Anger

You’ve probably heard about the Dr. Seuss movie that came out this week, Horton Hears a Who! I haven’t seen the movie—but I vaguely remember enjoying the book as a kid.  

Week 39: Carlos Castaneda and Furniture for the Brain

Different books have meant things to me at different stages.   

Week 40: Jude the Obscure; How Important is Your Privacy?

How important is your privacy?   

Week 41: I Was Awful in the Deli at Midnight; Dickens Again

Charles Dickens’ main theme was charity.   

Week 42: Now I Want to Reject the Pulitzer, Thank You

Lots of writers have turned down big prizes.   

Week 43: Shelley, Keats, and Fantasies about Love

There’s a chance that Percy Shelley would have loved the TV show The Bachelor—that reality show in which prospective fiancées fight for a man at the center.   

Week 44: Langston Hughes, Barack Obama, and the Festering Sore

The American writer Langston Hughes wrote that when people are excluded from the American Dream, they get bitter.   

Week 45: Shakespeare, and What's the Definition of Genius? 

Mark Rylance, the first Artistic Director of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, who held the post from 1995 to 2005, lost his job partly because he doesn’t believe in “Shakespeare.” 

Week 46: Moscow, Alcohol, and Variations on the Episode 

I’m reading a book, Moscow to the End of the Line, whose episodes are driven by drink.  

Week 47: My Month in Kyoto: Possessed by Haruki Murakami 

Three summers ago, the Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami was my favorite mind, and I read everything he’d written.   

Week 48: (Not Much About Literature Here) Wow: The World is Filling Up with Twins

This week I spent a lot of time with my friend and her one-year-old twins.   

Week 49: Test: Are You in the Sigmund Freud or the Lucian Freud Camp?

Sigmund Freud and Lucian Freud were grandfather and grandson— huge minds who saw the world radically differently.   

Week 50: Leslie Feinberg and the Death of Femininty and Masculinity

I recently read bits of Stone Butch Blues, a 1993 novel by Leslie Feinberg.   

Week 51: Ian Frazier, Baseball Caps in Fancy Places, and Kicking Cliche

I recently saw comedic writer Ian Frazier interviewed by Leonard Lopate at the 92nd Street Y, a venue for events in NYC.   

Week 52: Beckett Says Your Consciousness is Sorely Limited

There might be no better critic of consciousness than the whacky Samuel Beckett.   

Week 53: Faulkner and The Most Productive Alcoholism One Can Muster  

You guys have good discussions when I’m out of town.

Week 54: Zunshine and Theory of Mind

Literary theorists value books for different functions: Some theorists see books as invaluable political expressions; some love books for sharing psychological truths; some like literature because it’s its own medium for art.    

Week 55: "Private Appreciation" and Things Fall Apart

One of my favorite moments in books is something I could call “private appreciation.”  

Week 56: Looking Back at Week 55

This week’s blog needs to be about our bookclub rather than about a book. 

Week 57: Psychotherapy and Literature as Practices in Observation

A friend of mine who thinks psychoanalysis is useless asked me why I was training to be a clinical therapist.   

Week 58: Robert Creeley and The Formation of Identity

Identity is strange, because what we say and do represent just a bit of our potential—or what really feels like “me.”  

Week 59: Graff, Birkenstein, and My Return to School in 2 Weeks 

I go back to work in two weeks, to teach college freshman essay writing.

Week 60: From Wedding Announcements to the 18th Century Tatler

I enjoy a guilty pleasure every Sunday morning when—around 11 am—I log onto newyorktimes.com to see the wedding video of the week. 

Week 61: Aristotle, Shadenfreude, and Us Weekly

In Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics, he defines epikhairekakia as one type of pride.

Week 62: Is Nietzsche a Petulant Adolescent or a Wiseman?

Friedrich Nietzsche was a fantastic prose stylist. 

Week 63: Proust Loves Insomnia

If you’re an insomniac, you’re not alone. 

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 09-22-2008 07:58 PM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.