Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
0 Kudos

Any good books on life?

Hello everyone.  John here, aka. MrBooks.  I'm looking for a good book on life; i'm new to the B&N book club scene, and it's good the be here. 
Get me a book and ship em' to me :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

Re: Any good books on life?

John, if you're looking for books on life :smileyhappy:, you may want to try these if you don't have them already.  I think everyone pretty much has them anyway, but if not, you do not want to miss the reading on some of these here below ... the things these authors say about life in these books is mind-boggling ...  If-I-Only-Knew-Then, Exposing-the-Hidden-Things, and The-Tipping-Point.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Mrbooks wrote:
Hello everyone.  John here, aka. MrBooks.  I'm looking for a good book on life; i'm new to the B&N book club scene, and it's good the be here. 

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "a good book on life."   In the past, for questions like yours, these boards have been known to elicit responses like "the Bible" -- not for its "religion," but for its stories and how people cope, or virtually any of the classics that have survived for three or more generations of reading.  If a book doesn't deal with "life" in some way that could be categorized as "good", it probably hasn't survived being read and therefore being still in print.

If you are leaning towards the "self-help" side when you ask the question, I will suggest a favorite of mine:

How to Live in the World and Still Be Happy 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
0 Kudos

Good one Peppermill.   Any other good books on life in general?...

Frequent Contributor
WestchesterRFranks
0 Kudos

I've got a good one on life here...

'Mysteries of the Unknown'

Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

Peppermill, how many times have you read 'How to Live in the World and Still Be Happy 

Is it mind-boggling like that other books that I've read?

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Mrbooks wrote:

I have a huge list of great books.  These are a few of my favorites:

The Art of Happiness 

Life's Little How To Book 

The Wise Heart  

Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung? 

I hope you like these!  Enjoy!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
0 Kudos

I'm pretty big on inspiration books.  Are there any books that you recommend over the others blkeyesuzi ?
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Necessary Losses 

About the things we all have to let go of if we're going to grow.

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
0 Kudos

katnit, as far as life books go, i'm pretty sure it's possibe. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
0 Kudos

Can you tell me a little bit more about your experience with Necessary Losses katnit?  Is it a book that I should add to my bookshelf right away as well?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Get me a book and ship em' to me:smileyhappy:

Mrbooks:  Check out http://bookmooch.com/

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Mrbooks wrote:
I'm pretty big on inspiration books.  Are there any books that you recommend over the others blkeyesuzi ?

Well, one of my all-time favorites is A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle.  I really enjoyed that one and I continue to go back to it on an almost regular basis.

Next, I'd have to say is the Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama.  I first read it about 15 years ago and it was a HUGE inspiration to me and continues to be.

Another book that I go back to is The Prophet by Kahil Gibran.  I've given this little book as a gift countless times.  I really love this book.

I have so many inspirational books and to really choose a favorite is kind of like choosing a favorite child (impossible).  Each of them has spoken to me for different reasons and each has enlightened me even if it's in a small way. 

I'm sure I'll think of more all-time favorites once I"ve posted this...it always happens that way! LOL

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
0 Kudos

Ah, a more than 'once' reader..nice :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Mrbooks
0 Kudos

Any good books on metaphysics?
Contributor
Bachanon
0 Kudos

www.droppingalmonds.com

A book on life, a perspective of upper level/executive leadership, and how Corporate America has elected to abandon values, integrity, and the truth for greed, corruption, and dishonesty.

You'll like it!

Dropping Almonds  

Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

Are you the author Bachanon?
The one and only book worm :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

Try Wonderful World by Javier Calvo, Mara Faye Lethem .  This one is crazy.  :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

The rest of the title says it better than I could:

The Loves, Illusions, Dependencies, and Impossible Expectations That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Grow

Basically, it teaches how to regard and handle the losses that are inevitable, beginning with the fact that mother and infant are separate beings and moving through the life span. Losing is the price we pay for living, but it is also the stimulus for growth and gain.

Well written and thought provoking, worth keeping for future reference.

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

No two persons ever read the same book at the same time...same words...word for word...exactly...:smileysurprised:
The one and only book worm :smileyhappy: