Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ClaireRundle
0 Kudos

I'm looking for some good self help books

I have been trying to improve myself this year by reading some self help and self enlightenment books. Anyone have any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: I'm looking for some good self help books

I'm not really into self-help books as such, but perhaps the best self-help book of all time is the Bible. Not, I hasten to say, for its religious teachings per se; I'm not suggesting reading it in order to become converted to either Judaism or Christianity.  But a careful reading of the Bible raises so many, many issues of the self, and contains such deep wisdom about living a good life, that one I think cannot read it with any care and not emerge with some significant insights into how to help oneself become a more moral person. 

In the old Barnes and Noble University there was a course on Reading the Bible as Literature.   I never got a chance to particate in it much, and the bit I did the topic was overwhelmed by those who insisted on infusing the discussion with their religious beliefs, but the concept of the course, that there is much secular wisdom about life and living hidden in those ages, was, I though, quite correct.

ClaireRundle wrote:
I have been trying to improve myself this year by reading some self help and self enlightenment books. Anyone have any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Claire -- I quite agree with Eman on his suggestion -- from exactly the perspective he suggests.

You might also include Montaigne's Essays in your reading stack -- not all at once, but to dabble in periodically.  He thinks well and deeply on life and living.

My third suggestion is to try to find the list of 200+ works Stephen Covey claims to have read in preparing The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Finally (from me), a lighter hearted favorite is Hugh Prather's How to Live in the World and Still Be Happy .

Everyman wrote:

I'm not really into self-help books as such, but perhaps the best self-help book of all time is the Bible. Not, I hasten to say, for its religious teachings per se; I'm not suggesting reading it in order to become converted to either Judaism or Christianity.  But a careful reading of the Bible raises so many, many issues of the self, and contains such deep wisdom about living a good life, that one I think cannot read it with any care and not emerge with some significant insights into how to help oneself become a more moral person. 

In the old Barnes and Noble University there was a course on Reading the Bible as Literature.   I never got a chance to particate in it much, and the bit I did the topic was overwhelmed by those who insisted on infusing the discussion with their religious beliefs, but the concept of the course, that there is much secular wisdom about life and living hidden in those ages, was, I though, quite correct.

ClaireRundle wrote:

P.S. -- I have not used either of these enough to be totally conversant with their usefulness, but if you do tackle the Bible, you may find a commentary like Leland Rykan's How to Read the Bible as Literature  useful, or perhaps James Kugel's How to Read the Bible , although don't let either get in the way of the "real thing."  (I have used each enough to respect the work of the authors.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
JLTaylor
0 Kudos

A book I recently read that fits into this category is Boundaries by Cloud and Townshend.  It is a Christian self-help book so I don't know if you will find it useful, however, the principles are sound without being overly religious.  It takes the outline of showing how we need to learn to set proper boundaries with people, and realizing that it isn't always the Christian thing to do to never say no to others.
New User
LLLos
0 Kudos

I would highly recommend my book Streams In The Wasteland.  It is a book on codependency.  It is in cartoon format therefore very easy to read and grasp.  Here is one of my reviews by a professional colleague of mine.  “Many fine tracts have been written examining the issues of relationship codependency and enablement in the field of alcohol and drug addiction. Few works are as concise, unaffected and accessible to the general public as Lavonne Los’s ‘Streams in the Wasteland.’ With a sure knowledge of her subject, Ms. Los has constructed an insightful volume, free of textual complications and designed to provide a useful, easily understandable explanation of this ubiquitous and bewildering condition that plagues untold millions. The presentation is unique: illustrated story-boards tell the universal tales of the emotionally imprisoned victims of codependency and enablement and gently instruct in the ways of coping and healing. To my patients and all who seek help, education and information about this painful and perplexing subject, I strongly recommend this book.” Richard W. Hilger, MA, CSAC Also, please visit my website at www.recoveryou.com.  Best wishes.  LaVonne
New User
nuee
0 Kudos

Read lots of fiction, classic and contemporary. Watching the characters, especially the bad, the foolish and the doomed, you can make notes for your own self help list. Learning what NOT to do, or feel or say goes far in helping the self.

Be it Hamlet, Madame Bovary or Valley of the Dolls, the reader can always conclude,"That might have been handled differently."

And you never feel preached to.

Book lovers never go to bed alone.     -Anon.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Are you looking for any particular kind of help?
twj
ClaireRundle wrote:

Contributor
KathleenVitale
0 Kudos

My favorite self-help book is The Power of Now by Eckert Tolle, completely changed my life for the better!
New User
Yarpub
0 Kudos

If I may suggest something new and life-changing to you?

Watch the DVD of "Hear God Speak" or View-On-Demand.

Go to:  http://www.HearGodSpeak.net

It definitely changed my life!  Good luck and God bless!

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Yes, The Power of Now by Eckert Tolle :smileyhappy: