Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
megan_g7

Looking for a good book to read

Hi everyone, I am looking for a good book to read. Something that is exciting, a page turner. If you have any suggestions please let me know. :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

M.

Frequent Contributor
Fiction4Sale
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for a good book to read

Gone With The Wind, Margaret Mitchell

The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula LeGuin

Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury

The House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros

Getting To Know You, Jim Stallings

megan_g7 wrote:

Hi everyone, I am looking for a good book to read. Something that is exciting, a page turner. If you have any suggestions please let me know. :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

M.

Jim Stallings: (Peruse published fiction ):
http://www.jimstallings.com

All books available through B&N also.
"Literature is humanity's deep gossip."
New User
EmmaL
0 Kudos

The Kite Runner is a book that is a must read for everyone. Please try it.
Contributor
clau
0 Kudos

If you're looking for fast paced drama, you might try Edna Buchannan (Miami, it's Murder), James Lee Burke (Black Cherry Blues) or for a touch of silliness, Donna Andrews (Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon).
Reader
Nanikj
0 Kudos

Hi Megan,

If you like a book that is true, makes you laugh, cry, and encourage you, try, "Looking Up When Your Circumstances Have You Down."  KJ Jacobs is a new writer and this is her story. Nanikj

New User
Lily1512
0 Kudos

Hi Megan,

Kite runner by Khaled Hosseini

Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho

Snow by Orhan Pamuk

Cry, the beloved country Alan Paton

I have a big list :smileyhappy: i hope you like these and let me know if u want some more!!

Cheers

Lily!!

Contributor
TheEvilQueen
0 Kudos

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor. I know it will sound funny, but I heard of this book first, while reading a bio on Marilyn Monroe who loved it, so I gave it a try.

I don't know why exactly, but Russian literature has always intimidated me. Which of the classics would you say is the best one to start with? I'm thinking Anna Karenina.

Though no one of the Karamazov brothers (or their father, for that matter) grips me the way the character of Raskolnikov does, I would still say The Brothers Karamazov has a depth of thought and philosophy that ranges beyond the scope of ideas in Crime and Punishment.

It is interesting to note the progression of ideas and complexity from Notes from the Underground through C & P to TBK. He just kept getting better and better.

All Hail... the Evil Queen

"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever."
â Walt Disney
Contributor
Genryu
0 Kudos

Intensity - Dean Koontz
Inspired Contributor
MadamedeChevreuse
0 Kudos

I highly recommend Finding Nouf by Zoe Ferraris. It is very fast paced and well written, and a fantastic story!
A book is like a mirror: If an idiot peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out.
New User
PathsinClay
0 Kudos

I think you should read the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. 

But of course I need to tell you about my novel,

Paths in Clay.  here I am looking for ways to promote my book so that it will be read by people who love characters, story and other places to escape to.... 

Paths in Clay is a coming of age story about friendship, love, self-awareness, and the humble pursuit of the sublime through the exploration of ceramic arts.

My book is available online, in fact on barnesandnoble.com.  Please give it a chance.  To learn more about it go to www.pathsinclay.blogspot.com

“Go now and take to your paths. Someday, when the time is right, you will return here.”

Dear Readers and Writers:

Thank you.

New User
cslewis48
0 Kudos

Hello, Try "When Will There Be Good News?" by Kate Atkinson (on sale right now at B&N), and "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Steig Larrson.  Fun, great characters and I think just what you are looking for.  Of course, anything by Kate is terrific.
New User
dmusyc2
0 Kudos

Russian lit can be intimidating at first but it is worth pursuing.  Anna Karenina was

good - very thought provoking.  

Other good reads - 

The Memoirs of Cleopatria by Margaret George

The Kite Runner

Crime and Punishment

Pride and Prejudice

Reading Lolita in Tehran

"In the end it is not the words of our enemies we
remember, it is the silence of our friends"
New User
emilyMD
0 Kudos

Try The Emperor of Ocean Park, or The God of Small Things, both unforgettable!
New User
cooldiv16
0 Kudos

Let's see..

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

A Thousand Splendid Suns/Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Twilight Saga (Stephenie Meyer)

And a lot more that I can't think of.. but I think a lot of us have suggested the Kite Runner.. so give it a try! :smileyhappy:

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

Sarah's Key  

This book was recommended to me by  co-worker and it is fantastic.  Hard to put down too.

With purpose and on purpose
New User
trizzuti
0 Kudos

Try The Second Tour. It might surprise you.
Contributor
queenm07
0 Kudos

I don't know if you've every read Aesop's Fables but its a great book. I recently picked it up from Barnes and Noble this weekend and fell in love right away.
I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.----Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice
Contributor
snowflakeinannapolis
0 Kudos

Kite Runner is a GREAT book - but from a slightly different perspective, I would suggest that A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author is even better.

For a lighter read that is a bit mystery and definitely a page turner try The Thirteenth Tale.  It's a wonderful book especially for a first attempt.

We the Living by Ayn Rand is absolutely engrossing.  Her characters are captivating and the book spoke to me on some many levels.  If you are interested in something that is thought provoking, this is a wonderful work.

If chick lit is your thing, give Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner a try.  It's not a Pulitzer contender, but it has it's own appeal and the characters are endearing and real.

Unless you are into romance novels pass on the Twilight series. 

Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

Anything Stephenie Meyer
Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

Put nice, short, and sweet :smileyhappy:
The one and only book worm :smileyhappy: