Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

[ Edited ]

 

DUMBO is really nice, some of the best views in Brooklyn and some really great bars and restaurants too.   But I always wonder if people who live there feel any ill effects from the lack of sunlight since most of that neighborhood is in the shadow of the bridges.  I guess they can just go down to the waterfront whenever they want!

 

Kids in my neighborhood still play street games, baseball and football anyway and also the older kids often have cricket games going on this wierd little patch of concrete right in front of where the F train comes out of a tunnel and goes up onto the Culver Ramp.  It seems like it'd be really easy for them to accidentally get a ball onto the tracks or through the front/rear windows of a train or something but it's never happened.


And a lot of other areas of Brooklyn still seem pretty appropriate for kids to play on the streets.  On summer weekends especially it seems like practically every other block is roped off for a block party and kids playing all over the place.

 

Message Edited by Jon_B on 12-17-2008 07:52 AM
________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu2
Posts: 528
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.


Jon_B wrote:

 

DUMBO is really nice, some of the best views in Brooklyn and some really great bars and restaurants too.   But I always wonder if people who live there feel any ill effects from the lack of sunlight since most of that neighborhood is in the shadow of the bridges.  I guess they can just go down to the waterfront whenever they want!

 

Kids in my neighborhood still play street games, baseball and football anyway and also the older kids often have cricket games going on this wierd little patch of concrete right in front of where the F train comes out of a tunnel and goes up onto the Culver Ramp.  It seems like it'd be really easy for them to accidentally get a ball onto the tracks or through the front/rear windows of a train or something but it's never happened.


And a lot of other areas of Brooklyn still seem pretty appropriate for kids to play on the streets.  On summer weekends especially it seems like practically every other block is roped off for a block party and kids playing all over the place.

 

Message Edited by Jon_B on 12-17-2008 07:52 AM
 
 

I'm very vague about the names of neighborhoods and streets.  It sounds as though DUMBO can't be too far from Red Hook.  Red Hook was the neighborhood Arthur Miller wrote about in View from the Bridge.  But that was a neighborhood of brownstones, not factories and lofts.  When I was a kid we'd go "downtown" to shop.  That was the area filled with department stores like Abraham and Strauss, Martins, May's.   Junior's of cheesecake fame was (and I think still is) near there.   That was on Fulton and Schermahorn Sts.
 
Nice to know kids are still playing the old games, nothing like them! 

 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

DUMBO is kind of in the same general part of town as Red Hook (i.e. the northwest) but not that close. 

 

Red Hook is kind of on its own little peninsula, and it doesn't have any subway access.  It's been getting more popular in the last couple decades, a lot of artists have moved there, and now there's an IKEA there.  But it's still kind of a pain to get there because of the way the streets are laid out and because there are no subway stations in the neighbrhood. 

 

DUMBO on the other hand is very easy to get to.   There are a few apartment buildings and many converted lofts and such but it's not as residential of a neighborhood as Red Hook.

 

In any case, here's a map of Brookyln neighbhorhoods:


Brookyln nabes

 

 

 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

Great map, Jon.

Thanks!




Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.


Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu2
Posts: 528
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.


Jon_B wrote:

DUMBO is kind of in the same general part of town as Red Hook (i.e. the northwest) but not that close. 

 

Red Hook is kind of on its own little peninsula, and it doesn't have any subway access.  It's been getting more popular in the last couple decades, a lot of artists have moved there, and now there's an IKEA there.  But it's still kind of a pain to get there because of the way the streets are laid out and because there are no subway stations in the neighbrhood. 

 

DUMBO on the other hand is very easy to get to.   There are a few apartment buildings and many converted lofts and such but it's not as residential of a neighborhood as Red Hook.

 

In any case, here's a map of Brookyln neighbhorhoods:


Brookyln nabes

 

 

 

 



Jon_B wrote:

DUMBO is kind of in the same general part of town as Red Hook (i.e. the northwest) but not that close. 

 

Red Hook is kind of on its own little peninsula, and it doesn't have any subway access.  It's been getting more popular in the last couple decades, a lot of artists have moved there, and now there's an IKEA there.  But it's still kind of a pain to get there because of the way the streets are laid out and because there are no subway stations in the neighbrhood. 

 

DUMBO on the other hand is very easy to get to.   There are a few apartment buildings and many converted lofts and such but it's not as residential of a neighborhood as Red Hook.

 

In any case, here's a map of Brookyln neighbhorhoods:


Brookyln nabes

 

 

 

 Thanks Jon, so interesting.  Looks like Kensington is near Ocean parkway?  

I guess Red Hook isn't really under the bridge after all.  My father grew up in Williamsburg.  I lived in Crown Heights and then Flatbush.  Got married and moved to Gravesend-Sheepshead Bay.  My father was upset and wondered why I'd moved "so far away".  My husband grew up in Canarsie (after Paris, France).  My first boyfriend was from Red Hook and it was like a little Italian village at that time.  It did seem isolated.  The whole western part might as well have been Oklahoma.  With no car there was no reason or easy way to get there.  It sounds as though all of New York is filled with artists!   


 

 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.


Timbuktu2 wrote:

 

 Thanks Jon, so interesting.  Looks like Kensington is near Ocean parkway?  

 

 


 

Yup, Ocean Parkway runs right through the middle of Kensington.  And you can walk along it all the way to Coney Island.

 

Gravesend and Sheepshead Bay these days - along with Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Ditmas Park, and most of the rest of those southern neighborhoods - are very Russian, although there are small pockets of other ethnic groups scattered throughout.  I love the area because it has a very "old world" feel compared to the rest of NYC, it feels very hidden and strange, like there is always somethign surprising to find, and you can find just about everything. 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu2
Posts: 528
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.


Jon_B wrote:

Timbuktu2 wrote:

 

 Thanks Jon, so interesting.  Looks like Kensington is near Ocean parkway?  

 

 


 

Yup, Ocean Parkway runs right through the middle of Kensington.  And you can walk along it all the way to Coney Island.

 

Gravesend and Sheepshead Bay these days - along with Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Ditmas Park, and most of the rest of those southern neighborhoods - are very Russian, although there are small pockets of other ethnic groups scattered throughout.  I love the area because it has a very "old world" feel compared to the rest of NYC, it feels very hidden and strange, like there is always somethign surprising to find, and you can find just about everything. 

 


When we got married we lived on Crawford Ave, near Ave X and Coney Island ave.  At the time the neighborhood was entirely Italian.  I have been to Brighton Beach since it became Russian and I really loved it.  I imagine Odessa must have the same feel.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

I'm surprised, a bit, that you didn't know much about Chesterton.  Yes, he did exemplify excess both of the appetite and of literary production.  But some of his work is well worth reading.  I wouldn't go along with those who call him the greatest writer of the 20th century, but he certainly ranks up there with the best.

 


IlanaSimons wrote:

Not knowing much about Chesterton, I just had to google him.  He's a perfect example of this week's post.  I found out that he ate as much as he wrote--and did both in hordes.

 

This from Wikipedia:

 

"On [one] occasion [Cesterton] remarked to his friend George Bernard Shaw, 'To look at you, anyone would think there was a famine in England.' Shaw retorted, 'To look at you, anyone would think you caused it.'"  And: "Chesterton wrote around 80 books, several hundred poems, some 200 short stories, 4000 essays, and several plays."

 

Now that's a paradigm of consumption and production!

 


Everyman wrote:

I have tried to think of something interesting to add to this discussion, but I can't.  So just count me a lurker for this week. 

 

Other than the fact that we are reading Chesterton in Epics, and he was certainly of the, uh, full figured persuasion. 


 


 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

In reference to "Overindulgers" - Here's a little holiday cheer...sent to me by one of my partners in crime - Enjoy:

 

 Tequila Christmas Cake

 Ingredients:

 1 cup of water
 1 tsp baking soda
 1 cup of sugar
 1 tsp salt
 1 cup of brown sugar
 Lemon juice
 4 large eggs
 Nuts
 1 bottle tequila
 2 cups of dried fruit

 Sample the tequila to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the tequila
 again. To be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and
 drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a
 large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point
 it's best to make sure the tequila is still OK. Try another cup... just in
 case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and
 chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

 Pick the fruit up off floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried
 druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
 Sample the lequita to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt.
 Or something. Check the tequila. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your
 nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can
 find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall
 over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through
 the window. Finish the tequila and wipe counter with the cat.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

LOVE THIS!!

I'm cracking up laughing.

 

 

 


KathyS wrote:

In reference to "Overindulgers" - Here's a little holiday cheer...sent to me by one of my partners in crime - Enjoy:

 

 Tequila Christmas Cake

 Ingredients:

 1 cup of water
 1 tsp baking soda
 1 cup of sugar
 1 tsp salt
 1 cup of brown sugar
 Lemon juice
 4 large eggs
 Nuts
 1 bottle tequila
 2 cups of dried fruit

 Sample the tequila to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the tequila
 again. To be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and
 drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a
 large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point
 it's best to make sure the tequila is still OK. Try another cup... just in
 case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and
 chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

 Pick the fruit up off floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried
 druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
 Sample the lequita to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt.
 Or something. Check the tequila. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your
 nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can
 find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall
 over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through
 the window. Finish the tequila and wipe counter with the cat.


 




Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.


Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

Kathy that is exactly what I need during the crazy retail season! :smileyvery-happy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

Kathy that's hysterical! I am going to email it to everyone I know.

KathyS wrote:

In reference to "Overindulgers" - Here's a little holiday cheer...sent to me by one of my partners in crime - Enjoy:

 

 Tequila Christmas Cake

 Ingredients:

 1 cup of water
 1 tsp baking soda
 1 cup of sugar
 1 tsp salt
 1 cup of brown sugar
 Lemon juice
 4 large eggs
 Nuts
 1 bottle tequila
 2 cups of dried fruit

 Sample the tequila to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the tequila
 again. To be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and
 drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a
 large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point
 it's best to make sure the tequila is still OK. Try another cup... just in
 case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and
 chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

 Pick the fruit up off floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried
 druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
 Sample the lequita to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt.
 Or something. Check the tequila. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your
 nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can
 find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall
 over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through
 the window. Finish the tequila and wipe counter with the cat.


 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the laughter. 

I'm still smiling, or grinning, or chuckling over it.  I was thinking of making that cake, but before I do I'll have to see if I can borrow my neighbor's cat. 

:smileyhappy:

K.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

 

A Journal of

Indulgance:  What it feels like to be full

 

 

I pulled an all-nighter, indulging myself with thought.  Nights are the best.  I see inside of those dark halls, I have the ability to light them up.  I don't surpress my appitite. My skirting around an issue doesn't exist in these lighted rooms.  It's reality.  It's shocking to know what I indulge myself in.  It's the written words that I see.  I put them into forms. It's whom I am that I see. I mentioned that they live only in our minds - and until they're spoken, or reckoned with, do they become the real, as truth.  This board has a short circuit for me.  I can feel it.  This becomes the unreality.

 

I've used this board.  I indulge myself in this board.  I write words to try and satisfy my thirst, because I drink the reactions these words have on people. I'm probably no different than these vampires everyone seems to be so obsessed with. I play in everyone's minds. My drive was to find out who I am.  I've been obsessed. But, again, there becomes a short circuit in these connections to all of these feelings I am finding out about myself.  I have to express them in some form of art before that connection is welded together.

 

Every word I write about these feelings becomes a light switch to illuminate that room inside of my head.  I've never put a label to it until now.  The more you indulge; it becomes an obsession to overindulge.  This is what I've done on this board.  It's been a progression of eating everyone's words, until I've become so bloated from them; it's made me look at each feeling so intimately it hurts.  But this process is all necessary for me.  The word feeling, as I say I feel this way or that way, is just a word until you identify it in depth, and put a form to it.  I indulge myself until it becomes painful.

 

I don't think that most people want to feel that pain.  I can say I hurt, but what it means to me may be different to someone else.  The word obsession is not a word I like to use, knowing the reactions of people who hear it.  I use the VW thread to illuminate those painful obsessed feelings.  The unfortunate thing about this is, it does make me look a little (or a lot) crazy in this process.  I've lit up that room for all to see.  It's there in all of us, if you take the chance in yourself to explore those rooms, which contain those feelings.

 

Yes, I am an over indulger.  I indulge in my own feelings.  I test them as much as I can in writing about them.  I've shown them; I've gorged myself on them, until I've exposed all of these fat cells, whether ugly, or beautiful -  Until I, myself, want to throw up those feelings I'm so full with.  I'm finally seeing inside of those rooms that were once so dark.  I am satiated with knowing that person who was once a stranger.  Kathy.

Correspondent
momgee
Posts: 584
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Permiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

[ Edited ]
I have never posted on this board before ( that I can remember) but the title jumped out at me. I am assuming that Permiscuous is just a typo but I really wish people would not throw the word anorexics (should be anorectics) around lightly. If anyone thinks this is just a silly fancy for some young person, mainly girls, that they just want to be thin and they will grow out of it. Let me  dispel that notion right here. Anorexia is a serious, serious illness. It is not even about weight. It is a mental and emotional illness. The obsession with body weight is just one manifestation of the disease. The mortality rate for anorectics is 40%. Only 40% will be "cured" and the other 20% can manage to keep themselves out of the hospital and lead a somewhat normal life but they are still obsessed with weight. Until you have seen your teenage child in a hospital bed weighing 70 lbs and  on a heart monitor because their heart rate is down in 40 beats and the very real possibility of a heart attack or stroke is imminent, then maybe you will see how serious this is and not throw these terms around so lighty.  It takes years of therapy and behavior modification to help some of these girls. I can't write any more about this, my hands are shaking.
Message Edited by momgee on 02-27-2009 09:50 AM
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Week 77: To Anorexics and Promiscuous Overindulgers: Indulge Here. Art.

Hi momgee,

 

Thanks for the post.  And I did go ahead and correct "promiscuous" in the title.  Thanks for the cue-in.

 

I do know that anorexia is a serious disease, and I'm sorry that my post read as flip to you.  I do believe--as I sense you do too--that even when an illness is life-threatening, it does not fully define a person.  Creativity often coexists with the seriousness of the illness. 

Kafka was a writer whose tendency for solitude and anorexia were tightly linked to his creativity.  His "The Hunger Artist" was published the same year he died, of starvation complicated by tuberculosis--and the story has oodles to say about how his sense of self-deprivation was tied to his artistic vision. 

Illness is awful.  But I think that some of the demons that fuel our sickness also fuel our deep insights.

 

 


momgee wrote:
I have never posted on this board before ( that I can remember) but the title jumped out at me. I am assuming that Permiscuous is just a typo but I really wish people would not throw the word anorexics (should be anorectics) around lightly. If anyone thinks this is just a silly fancy for some young person, mainly girls, that they just want to be thin and they will grow out of it. Let me  dispel that notion right here. Anorexia is a serious, serious illness. It is not even about weight. It is a mental and emotional illness. The obsession with body weight is just one manifestation of the disease. The mortality rate for anorectics is 40%. Only 40% will be "cured" and the other 20% can manage to keep themselves out of the hospital and lead a somewhat normal life but they are still obsessed with weight. Until you have seen your teenage child in a hospital bed weighing 70 lbs and  on a heart monitor because their heart rate is down in 40 beats and the very real possibility of a heart attack or stroke is imminent, then maybe you will see how serious this is and not throw these terms around so lighty.  It takes years of therapy and behavior modification to help some of these girls. I can't write any more about this, my hands are shaking.

Message Edited by momgee on 02-27-2009 09:50 AM

 




Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.