Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapter 27 through Coda

Please use this thread for discussion of Chapter 27 through Coda.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapter 27 through Coda

The tide is turning against the Jan'aata, thanks to the help that Sofia has given the Runa. She has helped them with the aid of satellites that were installled by the Stella Maris crew . This makes a hugh difference in warfare. The Runa built radios and had comunications all over the Jan'aata citys. They also had GPS and were able to track Jan'aata troops. All this plus the greater Runa populations gave the Runa victorys in gaining control of Jan'aata citys. Now it is the Jan'aata who are fleeing and bands of refugees are looking for sanctuary. 

Now we see Rukuei, The fostered son of Kitheri. Who would have been next in line after his fathers death. I just couldn't tell where Rukuei would stand. He seemed spoiled but is still young. I wonder if he will follow  Shetri Laaks way of life. 

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

In Chap. 32. John wakes up Sandoz, and tells him that they have Sofia on the radio. They are still in orbit around Rakhat on the Bruno ship. John says "Sofia is still alive and has been wating 40yrs. to hear from him." and Sofia says to Sandoz" I am glad I have lived to speak to you again. Everything is different the Runa are free now. You were right, Sandoz. You were right all along. God meant for us to come here"  

Wow, I can't imagine what that must feel like to Sandoz. It's ironic that it was Sofia who is the one to tell him. He thought she was dead twice. Once on Rakhat and then back on earth. 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

In Chap. 32. John wakes up Sandoz, and tells him that they have Sofia on the radio. They are still in orbit around Rakhat on the Bruno ship. John says "Sofia is still alive and has been wating 40yrs. to hear from him." and Sofia says to Sandoz" I am glad I have lived to speak to you again. Everything is different the Runa are free now. You were right, Sandoz. You were right all along. God meant for us to come here"  

Wow, I can't imagine what that must feel like to Sandoz. It's ironic that it was Sofia who is the one to tell him. He thought she was dead twice. Once on Rakhat and then back on earth. 

Yes!  Loved that part!  What a turning point for Emilio!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

The title of the book was mentioned in Chapter 33.  “Know that if we are children of one God, we can make ourselves one family in time.”  I do think that is main point of the book --- how societies can learn to live together in harmony.

I have to admit, however, that I thought the book did get a bit too politically correct / Kumbaya-ish at times. 

The book was a worthwhile read for me because it tied into The Sparrow, but I don’t think I would have finished it if I was reading it as a stand alone book.

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fozzie wrote:

The title of the book was mentioned in Chapter 33.  “Know that if we are children of one God, we can make ourselves one family in time.”  I do think that is main point of the book --- how societies can learn to live together in harmony.

I have to admit, however, that I thought the book did get a bit too politically correct / Kumbaya-ish at times. 

The book was a worthwhile read for me because it tied into The Sparrow, but I don’t think I would have finished it if I was reading it as a stand alone book.

I agree Laura, that was the feeling I had as well. The main points were one family of God. We are all his creation therefore his children. What his children do to one and other. As a father he greives with us. He wants us to protect and love one and other. The author brought so many points of veiw I didn't know what she was trying to convey. Or perhaps that was the point. We need time to make sense of things. 

This was what I have been thinking as I tried to read " The Children of God" while in the mist of the news in my home state CT. during the heartbreaking tragic stootings here last friday. I live 80 miles from Newtown.My husband used to work in Sandy Hook. So I tried to find solace in prayer and friends and family. In the end it all takes time to heal. As a Nation and a World and a Universe we are all Children of God.  

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

I agree Laura, that was the feeling I had as well. The main points were one family of God. We are all his creation therefore his children. What his children do to one and other. As a father he greives with us. He wants us to protect and love one and other. The author brought so many points of veiw I didn't know what she was trying to convey. Or perhaps that was the point. We need time to make sense of things. 

This was what I have been thinking as I tried to read " The Children of God" while in the mist of the news in my home state CT. during the heartbreaking tragic stootings here last friday. I live 80 miles from Newtown.My husband used to work in Sandy Hook. So I tried to find solace in prayer and friends and family. In the end it all takes time to heal. As a Nation and a World and a Universe we are all Children of God.  

Oh my goodness!  That tragedy hit too close to home for your family, didn't it?  

I was thinking of the wars and ethnic cleansing around the world as I finished the book.

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Oh my goodness!  That tragedy hit too close to home for your family, didn't it?  

I was thinking of the wars and ethnic cleansing around the world as I finished the book.

Yes, but no one we knew was directly effected. Just feeling the effects like everyone else.

Thats a good point about the wars and ethnic cleansing. 

Another point that is made in the book was starvation. When Han'aala had lost babies due to lack of  food. I remembered that Mother Theresa,once was asked, "what is the worst thing you have seen?" She said starvation was the worst.  She gave her life to serving God just like the Jesuits.  

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Another point that is made in the book was starvation. When Han'aala had lost babies due to lack of  food. I remembered that Mother Theresa,once was asked, "what is the worst thing you have seen?" She said starvation was the worst.  She gave her life to serving God just like the Jesuits.  

Thank you for mentioning this point.  I had not heard that Mother Theresa thought starvation was the worst thing she had seen.  

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

This video I thought was appropriate since Children of God and the Sparrow started with a song . . .

Walking On Air

This video features a series of time lapse sequences photographed by the Expedition 30 crew aboard the International Space Station. Set to the song “Walking in the Air,” by Howard Blake, the video takes viewers around the world, through auroras, and over dazzling lightning displays.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=141042671

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

This video I thought was appropriate since Children of God and the Sparrow started with a song . . .

Walking On Air

This video features a series of time lapse sequences photographed by the Expedition 30 crew aboard the International Space Station. Set to the song “Walking in the Air,” by Howard Blake, the video takes viewers around the world, through auroras, and over dazzling lightning displays.

Beautiful!

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Walking On Air

Beautiful!

Thanks Laura,  There really is no place like home. I love seeing our planet from space. It's so amazing to see what it looks like from above. I also loved seeing the" comet Love Joy"  what a great name for a comet. :smileyhappy: 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Thanks Laura,  There really is no place like home. I love seeing our planet from space. It's so amazing to see what it looks like from above. I also loved seeing the" comet Love Joy"  what a great name for a comet. :smileyhappy: 

I love the aurora borealis.  We have seen it while living here in Maine.  It is amazing!

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

I love the aurora borealis.  We have seen it while living here in Maine.  It is amazing!

Oh that must be awesome !  You live in a beautiful place. :smileyhappy:

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

AMC to adapt THE SPARROW/CHILDREN OF GOD

Mary Doria Russell announced on her blog that AMC picked up the rights to adapt The Sparrow and Children of God as a series.

http://www.marydoriarussell.net/2013/02/01/the-sparrow-will-the-third-time-be-the-charm/

Thoughts?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Scribe
optic_i

Re: AMC to adapt THE SPARROW/CHILDREN OF GOD

That is intereting Melissa,  Some how I keep thinking of Game of Thrones with aliens. I would like to watch it. :smileyhappy: 

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

You know, I had not thought of GOT in comparison to The Sparrow but it is apt with all the politicking and factions and the difficulties in knowing/telling "truth".  If the production goes through I'd at least give it a shot, just to see how the script adaptation worked if nothing else.

optic_i wrote:

That is intereting Melissa,  Some how I keep thinking of Game of Thrones with aliens. I would like to watch it. :smileyhappy: 

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I think it could make an interesting series.  I don't watch drama on TV, just comedies, but I would check it out.

Laura