Reply
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

Please use this thread for discussion of Chapters 14 through 26.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

I was very suprised when Sandoz wanted to leave the Jesuit order, and start a new life.( Not that I blame him) I just think he is not ready to lead a life in the world yet. So much of who he was as a Jesuit definds him. Even the Pope credits Sandoz for helping him as a child in the war torn Sudan, and because of the kindness Sandoz showed him as a child. He wanted to serve God in the Church too. Sandoz influence has changed lives while he was gone on Rakhat. But he still only sees the pain and loss and humilation he suffered on Ratket. I also think that his killing Aksama by accident, and eating Runa meat after he was captured figure in his not being able to forget the nightmares. I think this is his anger towards God. 

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

When Sofia starts to talk with Supaari for the first time since the Runa village was wiped out. He is amazed that she is alive. He tells her he is sorry he would have looked for her. At that time all she had were the Runa and her computer tablet, that Kanchay brought to her a few weeks after the village was wiped out. On pg 50 Chap 4. Sofia is using the tablet to access the Stella Maris library to down load data  on child birth and using it like a diary. She thinks of it like a connection to earth. So her info gets put into memory and she knows one day it will reach Earth.  

 

When Supaari tells her Sandoz was sent back in the Stella Maris by other people from another ship, and are still on Rakhat but are missing. She is shocked. I can just imagine how she must feel, she thought she was the only human left on Rakhat. She finds out what happened to Sandoz & Mark. And she now knows the Magelln crew may have suffered the same fate as Sandoz. On pg.158 -159 Chap 14. Supaari tells her he may have " created a Market" It dawns on Sofia then what happened to them and she says " Oh my God ! you created a market"  

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

Looks like Sandoz is not only leaving the Jesuit order, he is also getting married. Chap.16 pg.167. Sandoz asks Gina if " She will object to a civil ceremony?"  This is how he tells her he wants to marry her ? Not very romantic. Gina is divorced from Carlo(Mafia Don) and this wasn't a match made in heaven either.I just thought about how she met Carlo.  Gina knew he was married and she is working in a clinic as Carlo's ( Mistress) is getting an abortion. Some how Gina thought he was a "Good catch" when Carlo left his wife for Gina.Yikes! Then she divorces Carlo for cheating on her. I can't help but feeling her marrige to Sandoz will be a difficult one too. I feel that they care for each other, but Sandoz is still so angry. She left Carlo and ran straight into Sandoz. I feel they are both running from violence in their past. 

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

The Author put so much into the "Sparrow", But also alot more into "Children of God" every chapter is packed with some new situation to ponder.

 

A another ship is going to Rakhat. The "Giordano Bruno"  named after a Florentine Priest in 1600. He was burned at the stake.On pg170 Chap15. For suggesting there might be other planets where life could exist. So this is the second ship the Jesuits are taking to Rakhat. Funded by Carlo the son of a Mafia Don. At first I thought this was crazy. However after I thought about it, this is 2061 space travel is big business. So yes the Mafia would be interested in owning a ship.Just so happens Carlo's uncle and the Pope want to  have a Jesiut Mission return to Rakhat. To restore the lost faith of Father Sandoz and they believe this is what God wants them to do.  

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

On Chap.15pg180. Sandoz finds the last transmitions that Sofia sent the Stella Maris, 18yrs. ago. He is shocked but says" Not even for her, I won't go back". 

 

Chap.17pg.190. Gina tells Sandoz " You should go back to find Sofia" She also tells him"You should rescue her, she needs you,  you loved her". Sandoz tells Gina "She was alive in 2047. The Bruno ship will take 17yrs. to reach Rakhat. The probability of finding her alive having survived on Rakhat alone to the age of 71 is about 0%". Then he tells her," he will never leave her like Carlo did". 

 

So Sandoz is taken aganst his will, and is on the Bruno ship going to Rakhat with Carlo. Yes the Author has a wicked sense of humor.   

Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


optic_i wrote:

I was very suprised when Sandoz wanted to leave the Jesuit order, and start a new life.( Not that I blame him) I just think he is not ready to lead a life in the world yet. So much of who he was as a Jesuit definds him. Even the Pope credits Sandoz for helping him as a child in the war torn Sudan, and because of the kindness Sandoz showed him as a child. He wanted to serve God in the Church too. Sandoz influence has changed lives while he was gone on Rakhat. But he still only sees the pain and loss and humilation he suffered on Ratket. I also think that his killing Aksama by accident, and eating Runa meat after he was captured figure in his not being able to forget the nightmares. I think this is his anger towards God. 


I was surprised too.  I think he feels abandoned by God.  I also think he is angry because of the abandonment.  It didn't seem that a potential relationship with Gina influenced his decision.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


optic_i wrote:

When Sofia starts to talk with Supaari for the first time since the Runa village was wiped out. He is amazed that she is alive. He tells her he is sorry he would have looked for her. At that time all she had were the Runa and her computer tablet, that Kanchay brought to her a few weeks after the village was wiped out. On pg 50 Chap 4. Sofia is using the tablet to access the Stella Maris library to down load data  on child birth and using it like a diary. She thinks of it like a connection to earth. So her info gets put into memory and she knows one day it will reach Earth.  

 

When Supaari tells her Sandoz was sent back in the Stella Maris by other people from another ship, and are still on Rakhat but are missing. She is shocked. I can just imagine how she must feel, she thought she was the only human left on Rakhat. She finds out what happened to Sandoz & Mark. And she now knows the Magelln crew may have suffered the same fate as Sandoz. On pg.158 -159 Chap 14. Supaari tells her he may have " created a Market" It dawns on Sofia then what happened to them and she says " Oh my God ! you created a market"  


I am glad you included the chapter reference because the page numbers of my library hardcover are 10 pages off from yours at just 150 pages into the book!

 

Anyway, excitement, panic, and hope all at once was how I thought Sophia must have felt.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


optic_i wrote:

Looks like Sandoz is not only leaving the Jesuit order, he is also getting married. Chap.16 pg.167. Sandoz asks Gina if " She will object to a civil ceremony?"  This is how he tells her he wants to marry her ? Not very romantic. Gina is divorced from Carlo(Mafia Don) and this wasn't a match made in heaven either.I just thought about how she met Carlo.  Gina knew he was married and she is working in a clinic as Carlo's ( Mistress) is getting an abortion. Some how Gina thought he was a "Good catch" when Carlo left his wife for Gina.Yikes! Then she divorces Carlo for cheating on her. I can't help but feeling her marrige to Sandoz will be a difficult one too. I feel that they care for each other, but Sandoz is still so angry. She left Carlo and ran straight into Sandoz. I feel they are both running from violence in their past. 


The way that Gina met Carlo was under horrific circumstances.  I truly don't know how she could have wanted to go out with him.  The only thing she could attribute her decision to was his charm.  I just can't imagine though...

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


optic_i wrote:

On Chap.15pg180. Sandoz finds the last transmitions that Sofia sent the Stella Maris, 18yrs. ago. He is shocked but says" Not even for her, I won't go back". 

 

Chap.17pg.190. Gina tells Sandoz " You should go back to find Sofia" She also tells him"You should rescue her, she needs you,  you loved her". Sandoz tells Gina "She was alive in 2047. The Bruno ship will take 17yrs. to reach Rakhat. The probability of finding her alive having survived on Rakhat alone to the age of 71 is about 0%". Then he tells her," he will never leave her like Carlo did". 

 

So Sandoz is taken aganst his will, and is on the Bruno ship going to Rakhat with Carlo. Yes the Author has a wicked sense of humor.   


I literally said, "No!" out loud as I read the last sentance of Chapter 17!  Wow!  Shocker!  And now we will try to understand "the whole of it."

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

You just never know what is going to happen in this book!  Truthfully, I am not enjoying it as much as The Sparrow, but the author threw in a section of a chapter which peaked my interest again --- a section in Chapter 24 where we find out that Daniel Iron Horse and John Candotti talk to Sophia on Rakhat!  Wow!  How do they meet up?!?

 

And they conversation they have is so cryptic --- seems like Isaac has done something bad.  Hmmm…genetics…

 

This section of reading ended with Isaac leaving the group, so maybe this is the beginning of the end, so to speak.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

I am not sure I have absorbed all that is going on with Hlavin Kitheri.  We find out that his voice was heard for less than a year after Sandoz left Rakhat, and then never again  (Ch. 20).  Then in Chapter 21, we learned that except for evening chants, Hlavin himself had not sung in years, but found his way back to poetry and music.  He let women and children sing.  It seems he is trying to make things equal for everyone, like third borns and women and children.  I assume this will all become clearer.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26

The end of Chapter 22 was very interesting.  It seems that Supaari has determined that his people are like parasites to the Runa, taking from them but not offering anything in return. 

 

“And what,” he asked her softly, “must we do to rid ourselves of parasites?”

“Kill them,” she said as softly and as certainly.  “Kill them, one by one --- until they trouble us no longer.”

 

Sounds like war!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

I was very suprised when Sandoz wanted to leave the Jesuit order, and start a new life.( Not that I blame him) I just think he is not ready to lead a life in the world yet. So much of who he was as a Jesuit definds him. Even the Pope credits Sandoz for helping him as a child in the war torn Sudan, and because of the kindness Sandoz showed him as a child. He wanted to serve God in the Church too. Sandoz influence has changed lives while he was gone on Rakhat. But he still only sees the pain and loss and humilation he suffered on Ratket. I also think that his killing Aksama by accident, and eating Runa meat after he was captured figure in his not being able to forget the nightmares. I think this is his anger towards God. 


I was surprised too.  I think he feels abandoned by God.  I also think he is angry because of the abandonment.  It didn't seem that a potential relationship with Gina influenced his decision.


I agree, He still has nightmares, not good for 5 yr. old Celestina to hear at night. That would scare her for sure. He needs time to work through those first. I would think.  Yes he feels abandoned by God. 

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

When Sofia starts to talk with Supaari for the first time since the Runa village was wiped out. He is amazed that she is alive. He tells her he is sorry he would have looked for her. At that time all she had were the Runa and her computer tablet, that Kanchay brought to her a few weeks after the village was wiped out. On pg 50 Chap 4. Sofia is using the tablet to access the Stella Maris library to down load data  on child birth and using it like a diary. She thinks of it like a connection to earth. So her info gets put into memory and she knows one day it will reach Earth.  

 

When Supaari tells her Sandoz was sent back in the Stella Maris by other people from another ship, and are still on Rakhat but are missing. She is shocked. I can just imagine how she must feel, she thought she was the only human left on Rakhat. She finds out what happened to Sandoz & Mark. And she now knows the Magelln crew may have suffered the same fate as Sandoz. On pg.158 -159 Chap 14. Supaari tells her he may have " created a Market" It dawns on Sofia then what happened to them and she says " Oh my God ! you created a market"  


I am glad you included the chapter reference because the page numbers of my library hardcover are 10 pages off from yours at just 150 pages into the book!

 

Anyway, excitement, panic, and hope all at once was how I thought Sophia must have felt.


 Oh boy,I would I be lost without hi-lites in this book & the sparrow. My Nook is starting to develope a bug. So I had to switch to another tablet. Plus I don't have spell check with "Opera" my browser does not work with B&N spell check.  So Iam glad you told me  the Chapters are a help to you.   

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Looks like Sandoz is not only leaving the Jesuit order, he is also getting married. Chap.16 pg.167. Sandoz asks Gina if " She will object to a civil ceremony?"  This is how he tells her he wants to marry her ? Not very romantic. Gina is divorced from Carlo(Mafia Don) and this wasn't a match made in heaven either.I just thought about how she met Carlo.  Gina knew he was married and she is working in a clinic as Carlo's ( Mistress) is getting an abortion. Some how Gina thought he was a "Good catch" when Carlo left his wife for Gina.Yikes! Then she divorces Carlo for cheating on her. I can't help but feeling her marrige to Sandoz will be a difficult one too. I feel that they care for each other, but Sandoz is still so angry. She left Carlo and ran straight into Sandoz. I feel they are both running from violence in their past. 


The way that Gina met Carlo was under horrific circumstances.  I truly don't know how she could have wanted to go out with him.  The only thing she could attribute her decision to was his charm.  I just can't imagine though...


Yes that must have been why she went out with him. Plus he is very handsome and rich. So she just tuned out what she didn't want to see.

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

On Chap.15pg180. Sandoz finds the last transmitions that Sofia sent the Stella Maris, 18yrs. ago. He is shocked but says" Not even for her, I won't go back". 

 

Chap.17pg.190. Gina tells Sandoz " You should go back to find Sofia" She also tells him"You should rescue her, she needs you,  you loved her". Sandoz tells Gina "She was alive in 2047. The Bruno ship will take 17yrs. to reach Rakhat. The probability of finding her alive having survived on Rakhat alone to the age of 71 is about 0%". Then he tells her," he will never leave her like Carlo did". 

 

So Sandoz is taken aganst his will, and is on the Bruno ship going to Rakhat with Carlo. Yes the Author has a wicked sense of humor.   


I literally said, "No!" out loud as I read the last sentance of Chapter 17!  Wow!  Shocker!  And now we will try to understand "the whole of it."


I Thought What are they doing! They can't make him go against his will.So much for trying distance himself. I am trying to look at the bigger picture too.

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


Fozzie wrote:

You just never know what is going to happen in this book!  Truthfully, I am not enjoying it as much as The Sparrow, but the author threw in a section of a chapter which peaked my interest again --- a section in Chapter 24 where we find out that Daniel Iron Horse and John Candotti talk to Sophia on Rakhat!  Wow!  How do they meet up?!?

 

And they conversation they have is so cryptic --- seems like Isaac has done something bad.  Hmmm…genetics…

 

This section of reading ended with Isaac leaving the group, so maybe this is the beginning of the end, so to speak.


I like the Sparrow better too. I thought it was just me. I think I understood it better. But the best parts of Children of God is what is going on with Sofia & Supaari. She seems to be the stronger person. She lost an eye and has 3 terrible claw marks across her face.So she has been disfigured too. She not only lost her husband and gave birth on another planet. She knew others came and didn't find her only Sandoz, and they saved him and sent him home. Then they also disapeared. Supaari loves his daughter and saved her. I don't think any Jan'aata has ever done that. They would never have risked losing status to break with tradition.  

 

I agree Isaac is very interesting too. I wonder what he is up too? Looking forward to the second landing too.  

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


Fozzie wrote:

I am not sure I have absorbed all that is going on with Hlavin Kitheri.  We find out that his voice was heard for less than a year after Sandoz left Rakhat, and then never again  (Ch. 20).  Then in Chapter 21, we learned that except for evening chants, Hlavin himself had not sung in years, but found his way back to poetry and music.  He let women and children sing.  It seems he is trying to make things equal for everyone, like third borns and women and children.  I assume this will all become clearer.


That makes sense, He wouldn't be thinking of the Runa's. But it does look like he is trying to bring his people back to the land of their ancestors.He seems to see that the problems are, bordom for the men, and the women shut up in towers without knowlege of their own enviorment or the freedom to walk around without men.As far as Runa's he just wants to breed them to have more fight in them so they are more fun to hunt. Although I he may regret that. 

 

This is ironic since his own people think he was the worst offender.

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Chapters 14 through 26


Fozzie wrote:

The end of Chapter 22 was very interesting.  It seems that Supaari has determined that his people are like parasites to the Runa, taking from them but not offering anything in return. 

 

“And what,” he asked her softly, “must we do to rid ourselves of parasites?”

“Kill them,” she said as softly and as certainly.  “Kill them, one by one --- until they trouble us no longer.”

 

Sounds like war!


Yes it does. Sofia has been through war before as a child. She lost her parents. So this is what she feels towards any enemy. The jan'aata also killed infants with culling. and her husband and freinds and she is sure that they would kill her and Isaac.Also many of her Runa freinds. For both Supaari and Sofia  this is war.