Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

CHILDREN OF GOD: Prelude through Chapter 13

Please use this thread for discussion of the Prelude through Chapter 13.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Prelude through Chapter 13

[ Edited ]

So far this is more like an explanation of what happened in " The Sparrow" But with a new twist. Sofia has survived and she is going to have her baby soon. Being in hiding with the Runa. She had them to help her. While Sandoz was with the Jana'ata at first with Suppari and then he was traded for slavery. Sofia had it much better with the Runa.  

I keep thinking that if Sandoz ended up with the Runa in hiding instead of Sofia. And Sofia was traded to the Jana'ata for slavery while she was pregnant, then she & her baby would be dead. I think Sandoz would rather it was him that ended up with the Jana'ata even though he suffered he would want it to happen to him instead of them.  I am very interested in what Sadoz's reaction will be when he finds out Sofia is alive on Rakhat.  

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

This book fills in alot of the things we didn't know about in the Sparrow. Like what was happenig to Sofia when Father Sandoz was captured and later freed and sent back to earth by the Magellen Party. Also what Jana'ata life was like for Supaari. How the social stucture was set and stagnant. The only frame of reference I can come up with that would have similar circumstances, would be the worst of the ancient Roman Emperor's. Caligula and Nero. The Jana'ata Aristrocrate Hlavin Kitheri who bought Sandoz seems to be of that same cruel mind set. Everything he does is for entertainment and he strives to set the bar higher and higher. 

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

The author has expanded on more things, like what happened to Sandoz's hands, and Father Mark who was also captured with Sandoz by the patrols. I now understand that Supaari did not intend to harm them with the ( hasta'akala) it was done to sponser them and make them dependents. He thought he was protecting them from being killed. As their sponser they would become his property and he would house and feed them. He also never knew that when he cut their hands that it could kill them. Mark never recovered and died. And Sandoz will always feel the pain in his hands. As Supaari starts to understand by talking with Sofia. The seeds of change are starting to happen. With both Sandoz on earth and Supaari on Rakhat.   

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hlavin Kitheri and Supaari have fateful falling out. Supaari has a baby girl with Kitheri's sister. And she is the start of his( founding family) the very thing he traded Sandoz into slavery for. Although Supaari misunderstood what Sandoz meant by serving men for God. Kitheri told Supaari the baby was deformed and must be dystroyed as is the custom. Supaari is torn and goes to see her for the first time and finds that Kitheri has lied to him.Even Supaari's wife dosn't want the child. I was very happy when Supaari takes the baby and flees. It's what he always wanted, and he sees how evil the Jana'ata are. No love even for family. This is in stark comparison to the way the Runa love Sofia and her strange son. They accept him as they accept everything. With love and support. 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I just started the book last night.  

I almost literally starts where the last one ended.  That surprised me.

I was also interested to read in the prelude that telling his story didn't rid Sandoz of the nightmares as it was hoped.

I haven't read any other comments yet.  I'll be back once I read more.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Laura, I am still reading this part of the book. So much going on in this book. Yes I was sad to know Sandoz was still haveing nightmares too. Sofia's story will be told also. I like her and really wanted to know  what happened to her.  Looking forward to see what you think too.  

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Sofia's story is heart breaking but uplifting at the same time. I think her history prepared her for what she faced on Rakhat. She suffered the same loss of family & friends on earth. So in her mind she is ready to accept loss. I felt so bad for her, and the only connection to earth was a tablet she has that can only send messages to the ship that is still in orbit around Rakhat. That is her hope until Sandoz is sent home in it. She didn't know Sandoz was alive on Rakhat. So she just knew she lost contact with the ship. How sad to be left alone like that. I also thought it was a good thing she didn't know,at the time why she lost contact. For her to know that she was left behind, I think would have much worse . 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

So far this is more like an explanation of what happened in " The Sparrow" But with a new twist. Sofia has survived and she is going to have her baby soon. Being in hiding with the Runa. She had them to help her. While Sandoz was with the Jana'ata at first with Suppari and then he was traded for slavery. Sofia had it much better with the Runa.  

I keep thinking that if Sandoz ended up with the Runa in hiding instead of Sofia. And Sofia was traded to the Jana'ata for slavery while she was pregnant, then she & her baby would be dead. I think Sandoz would rather it was him that ended up with the Jana'ata even though he suffered he would want it to happen to him instead of them.  I am very interested in what Sadoz's reaction will be when he finds out Sofia is alive on Rakhat.  

I was shocked to find out that Sofia was still alive!  I hadn't thought about what Sandoz would think when he found out.  I am not entirely convinced that he is going back to Rakhat and will find out.

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

The author has expanded on more things, like what happened to Sandoz's hands, and Father Mark who was also captured with Sandoz by the patrols. I now understand that Supaari did not intend to harm them with the ( hasta'akala) it was done to sponser them and make them dependents. He thought he was protecting them from being killed. As their sponser they would become his property and he would house and feed them. He also never knew that when he cut their hands that it could kill them. Mark never recovered and died. And Sandoz will always feel the pain in his hands. As Supaari starts to understand by talking with Sofia. The seeds of change are starting to happen. With both Sandoz on earth and Supaari on Rakhat.   

I thought this was very interesting, too, that Supaari didn't intend to hurt Mark and Emilio.  When reading The Sparrow, I remember being shocked at the situation Supaari left them to, but now it makes more sense.

I am always amazed that authors can think up these stories!

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hlavin Kitheri and Supaari have fateful falling out. Supaari has a baby girl with Kitheri's sister. And she is the start of his( founding family) the very thing he traded Sandoz into slavery for. Although Supaari misunderstood what Sandoz meant by serving men for God. Kitheri told Supaari the baby was deformed and must be dystroyed as is the custom. Supaari is torn and goes to see her for the first time and finds that Kitheri has lied to him.Even Supaari's wife dosn't want the child. I was very happy when Supaari takes the baby and flees. It's what he always wanted, and he sees how evil the Jana'ata are. No love even for family. This is in stark comparison to the way the Runa love Sofia and her strange son. They accept him as they accept everything. With love and support. 

I struggled to understand what was going on with Supaari and his relatives.  I had to reread and reread to finally understand what was going on.  I do not like fantasy or science fiction and some of the chapters in this section of reading were almost too much for me.  Hopefully, now that we understand the background of what happened with Supaari and Hlavin, things will flow more smoothly for me, like they did in The Sparrow.

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Sofia's story is heart breaking but uplifting at the same time. I think her history prepared her for what she faced on Rakhat. She suffered the same loss of family & friends on earth. So in her mind she is ready to accept loss. I felt so bad for her, and the only connection to earth was a tablet she has that can only send messages to the ship that is still in orbit around Rakhat. That is her hope until Sandoz is sent home in it. She didn't know Sandoz was alive on Rakhat. So she just knew she lost contact with the ship. How sad to be left alone like that. I also thought it was a good thing she didn't know,at the time why she lost contact. For her to know that she was left behind, I think would have much worse . 

I have not been paying as close of attantion to the time periods as you have.  I didn't realize that Sofia's story, so far, takes place while Sandoz is still on Rakhat.  I thought she thought she was the only human still on the planet.

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

While I am enjoying the story thread about Emilio and Gina and Celestina, I am not sure that I find it believable.  LOL!  What a comment about a book that takes place in the future with humans travelling to another planet and interacting with aliens.  Hopefully, you understand what I mean.  Could and would their relationship really have happened?  I am not sure.  However, I am happy to end this section on a positive note, with Emilio doing so much better physically and emotionally.

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

While I am enjoying the story thread about Emilio and Gina and Celestina, I am not sure that I find it believable.  LOL!  What a comment about a book that takes place in the future with humans travelling to another planet and interacting with aliens.  Hopefully, you understand what I mean.  Could and would their relationship really have happened?  I am not sure.  However, I am happy to end this section on a positive note, with Emilio doing so much better physically and emotionally.

And did you  notice Gina's last name?  Giuliani, the same as the Father General of the Jesuit group, with maifa connections.  So Gina's ex-husband is somehow related to the Jesuit boss and the mafia?  Hmmm...I wonder where that is going.

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

The author seems to be setting up an ethical conflict with regards to procreation/breeding. 

On page 68, Supaari muses, “Of all the things he had learned of the foreigners’ customs, the most incomprehensible, the most unethical was the notion that anyone could breed, even those known to carry traits that would damage their own offspring.”  Supaari subsequently saves his own daughter, who was falsely rumored to be crippled.

At some point in this section, the Jesuits going on the next mission (I think) were talking about how it was immoral for one species to control another’s right to procreate.  The idea was that the next mission to Rakhat would try to educate and influence the species of Rakhat to change this behavior.  Hmmm…Could be a tough sell --- and it could lead to a lot of trouble.

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

I was shocked to find out that Sofia was still alive!  I hadn't thought about what Sandoz would think when he found out.  I am not entirely convinced that he is going back to Rakhat and will find out.

Your right , I don't get that feeling anymore either. I think Sandoz just wants to move on with his life, and wants to put Rakhat out of his mind. However I don't think he will be able to. Just too much has happened . But he does seem determined to try.     

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

I thought this was very interesting, too, that Supaari didn't intend to hurt Mark and Emilio.  When reading The Sparrow, I remember being shocked at the situation Supaari left them to, but now it makes more sense.

I am always amazed that authors can think up these stories!

Lol, I keep thinking the same thing, How did she she come up with this story !  

The "Children Of God" does seem to try to explain what was going on in the "Sparrow" like Supaari not understanding what he has done to Mark & Sandoz's hands. It makes me see Supaari in a better light. I have noticed that the Author is revealing to the reader, that not everything is what it seems in the first book. Which makes me wonder, did she know when she wrote the Sparrow that it would be followed by a sequel? If not she did an amazing job putting it all together. 

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

I struggled to understand what was going on with Supaari and his relatives.  I had to reread and reread to finally understand what was going on.  I do not like fantasy or science fiction and some of the chapters in this section of reading were almost too much for me.  Hopefully, now that we understand the background of what happened with Supaari and Hlavin, things will flow more smoothly for me, like they did in The Sparrow.

This is very hard to understand for me too. I re-read it many times and still am not sure what happened. Supaari I can understand why he left with his daughter. Hlavin I am still stumped over. What is his purpose ? I thought he had some kind of epiphany. After Supaari left with his daughter. First he kills his family and Runa staff. Then declares himself (King) and blames Supaari for the murders. Now Supaari is an outlaw to the Jan'aata. Ok that makes sense he found a scape goat. But what he does next still is confusing to me. He wants to change the jan'aata way of life now that he controls things. But what he does looks to me like he set up some kind of ( Royal hunt club) ? He makes small changes where females can sing with the males. They may be trying to be like their ancestors, but it has no effect on eating Runas. Or using them as slaves. I just thought what is he trying to accomplish ?   

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Lol, I keep thinking the same thing, How did she she come up with this story !  

The "Children Of God" does seem to try to explain what was going on in the "Sparrow" like Supaari not understanding what he has done to Mark & Sandoz's hands. It makes me see Supaari in a better light. I have noticed that the Author is revealing to the reader, that not everything is what it seems in the first book. Which makes me wonder, did she know when she wrote the Sparrow that it would be followed by a sequel? If not she did an amazing job putting it all together. 

Good question!  I am wondering the same thing.  I will have to look for interviews with her once I have finished the book.

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

This is very hard to understand for me too. I re-read it many times and still am not sure what happened. Supaari I can understand why he left with his daughter. Hlavin I am still stumped over. What is his purpose ? I thought he had some kind of epiphany. After Supaari left with his daughter. First he kills his family and Runa staff. Then declares himself (King) and blames Supaari for the murders. Now Supaari is an outlaw to the Jan'aata. Ok that makes sense he found a scape goat. But what he does next still is confusing to me. He wants to change the jan'aata way of life now that he controls things. But what he does looks to me like he set up some kind of ( Royal hunt club) ? He makes small changes where females can sing with the males. They may be trying to be like their ancestors, but it has no effect on eating Runas. Or using them as slaves. I just thought what is he trying to accomplish ?   

I missed the whole part in bold!  What page is this?  Did you mark it?

Laura