Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: CHILDREN OF GOD: Prelude through Chapter 13

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Sofia's story is heart breaking but uplifting at the same time. I think her history prepared her for what she faced on Rakhat. She suffered the same loss of family & friends on earth. So in her mind she is ready to accept loss. I felt so bad for her, and the only connection to earth was a tablet she has that can only send messages to the ship that is still in orbit around Rakhat. That is her hope until Sandoz is sent home in it. She didn't know Sandoz was alive on Rakhat. So she just knew she lost contact with the ship. How sad to be left alone like that. I also thought it was a good thing she didn't know,at the time why she lost contact. For her to know that she was left behind, I think would have much worse . 

I have not been paying as close of attantion to the time periods as you have.  I didn't realize that Sofia's story, so far, takes place while Sandoz is still on Rakhat.  I thought she thought she was the only human still on the planet.

Your right Laura, the time periods are so confusing. I am haveing a hard time keeping them straight too. Between what we know happened in the Sparrow and hearing accounts of Supaari and Sandoz and now Sofia. Very confusing, I keep looking at the dates of this book and trying to remember that it takes so long to travel in light years. While Sandoz has made the round trip every one else has not. The Magellen  party or (Crew)  found Sandoz 18 mns after Mark & Sandoz were captured, Mark was dead but Sandoz was in bad shape almost dead. They sent him back alone with a program that Sofia wrote to guide the ship home. He never knew that Sofia was alive. He was too sick to check for messages on the ship. If he had he would have seen her messages from Rakhat. But why didn't the Magellen crew see them when they boarded the Stella Maris ? Sofia's messages should have been there. And what happened to the guys from the magellen crew ? They never came back either. Lots of questions.   

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

While I am enjoying the story thread about Emilio and Gina and Celestina, I am not sure that I find it believable.  LOL!  What a comment about a book that takes place in the future with humans travelling to another planet and interacting with aliens.  Hopefully, you understand what I mean.  Could and would their relationship really have happened?  I am not sure.  However, I am happy to end this section on a positive note, with Emilio doing so much better physically and emotionally.

And did you  notice Gina's last name?  Giuliani, the same as the Father General of the Jesuit group, with maifa connections.  So Gina's ex-husband is somehow related to the Jesuit boss and the mafia?  Hmmm...I wonder where that is going.

Yes this is a new twist in a very complicated story already. I just couldn't see Sandoz getting into a relationship. It's interesting that Celestina is just as chatty and has taken a special interest in Sandoz as Auksama had. I thought perhaps that had something to do with it. 

Gina Giulani is related to Father Giuliani by marrige. Her husband Carlo is connected to the Mafia side of the family by his father. Perhaps father Giuliani is Carlo's uncle, I think.? 

Also when Sandoz returns to earth he hasn't aged much so he looks in his forties. I though about how Celestina asks Sandoz to marry him, he says he is too old. He tells her his on his Birthday he will be 80, ( in earth years)  

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

The author seems to be setting up an ethical conflict with regards to procreation/breeding. 

On page 68, Supaari muses, “Of all the things he had learned of the foreigners’ customs, the most incomprehensible, the most unethical was the notion that anyone could breed, even those known to carry traits that would damage their own offspring.”  Supaari subsequently saves his own daughter, who was falsely rumored to be crippled.

At some point in this section, the Jesuits going on the next mission (I think) were talking about how it was immoral for one species to control another’s right to procreate.  The idea was that the next mission to Rakhat would try to educate and influence the species of Rakhat to change this behavior.  Hmmm…Could be a tough sell --- and it could lead to a lot of trouble.

I agree. After what happened on the last 2 missions. Including the Magellan mission, is that alot can go wrong. 

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

This is very hard to understand for me too. I re-read it many times and still am not sure what happened. Supaari I can understand why he left with his daughter. Hlavin I am still stumped over. What is his purpose ? I thought he had some kind of epiphany. After Supaari left with his daughter. First he kills his family and Runa staff. Then declares himself (King) and blames Supaari for the murders. Now Supaari is an outlaw to the Jan'aata. Ok that makes sense he found a scape goat. But what he does next still is confusing to me. He wants to change the jan'aata way of life now that he controls things. But what he does looks to me like he set up some kind of ( Royal hunt club) ? He makes small changes where females can sing with the males. They may be trying to be like their ancestors, but it has no effect on eating Runas. Or using them as slaves. I just thought what is he trying to accomplish ?   

I missed the whole part in bold!  What page is this?  Did you mark it?

I started to answer the second part of the story this morning. So I mixed up the second part of this discussion with this one. Whats in( bold ) is part of the next section. Sorry. In my mind I put them together in this one. But I still don't understand what Kitheri is doing or why.Maybe you can shed some light on it when you read it next. Looking forward to what you make of him too.  This is one charecter that I just don't understand. 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

I have not been paying as close of attantion to the time periods as you have.  I didn't realize that Sofia's story, so far, takes place while Sandoz is still on Rakhat.  I thought she thought she was the only human still on the planet.

Your right Laura, the time periods are so confusing. I am haveing a hard time keeping them straight too. Between what we know happened in the Sparrow and hearing accounts of Supaari and Sandoz and now Sofia. Very confusing, I keep looking at the dates of this book and trying to remember that it takes so long to travel in light years. While Sandoz has made the round trip every one else has not. The Magellen  party or (Crew)  found Sandoz 18 mns after Mark & Sandoz were captured, Mark was dead but Sandoz was in bad shape almost dead. They sent him back alone with a program that Sofia wrote to guide the ship home. He never knew that Sofia was alive. He was too sick to check for messages on the ship. If he had he would have seen her messages from Rakhat. But why didn't the Magellen crew see them when they boarded the Stella Maris ? Sofia's messages should have been there. And what happened to the guys from the magellen crew ? They never came back either. Lots of questions.   

The beginning of the second section of reading does make the time periods/order of things more clear, which is good.

I wonder if we will find out what happened to the Magellen crew?  Yes, so many questions...

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

While I am enjoying the story thread about Emilio and Gina and Celestina, I am not sure that I find it believable.  LOL!  What a comment about a book that takes place in the future with humans travelling to another planet and interacting with aliens.  Hopefully, you understand what I mean.  Could and would their relationship really have happened?  I am not sure.  However, I am happy to end this section on a positive note, with Emilio doing so much better physically and emotionally.

And did you  notice Gina's last name?  Giuliani, the same as the Father General of the Jesuit group, with maifa connections.  So Gina's ex-husband is somehow related to the Jesuit boss and the mafia?  Hmmm...I wonder where that is going.

Yes this is a new twist in a very complicated story already. I just couldn't see Sandoz getting into a relationship. It's interesting that Celestina is just as chatty and has taken a special interest in Sandoz as Auksama had. I thought perhaps that had something to do with it. 

Gina Giulani is related to Father Giuliani by marrige. Her husband Carlo is connected to the Mafia side of the family by his father. Perhaps father Giuliani is Carlo's uncle, I think.? 

Also when Sandoz returns to earth he hasn't aged much so he looks in his forties. I though about how Celestina asks Sandoz to marry him, he says he is too old. He tells her his on his Birthday he will be 80, ( in earth years)  

I hadn't thought to compare Celestina to Aksama, but it makes sense.

I would also make sense for Fr. Guiliani to be Carlo's uncle.

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

This is very hard to understand for me too. I re-read it many times and still am not sure what happened. Supaari I can understand why he left with his daughter. Hlavin I am still stumped over. What is his purpose ? I thought he had some kind of epiphany. After Supaari left with his daughter. First he kills his family and Runa staff. Then declares himself (King) and blames Supaari for the murders. Now Supaari is an outlaw to the Jan'aata. Ok that makes sense he found a scape goat. But what he does next still is confusing to me. He wants to change the jan'aata way of life now that he controls things. But what he does looks to me like he set up some kind of ( Royal hunt club) ? He makes small changes where females can sing with the males. They may be trying to be like their ancestors, but it has no effect on eating Runas. Or using them as slaves. I just thought what is he trying to accomplish ?   

I started to answer the second part of the story this morning. So I mixed up the second part of this discussion with this one. Whats in( bold ) is part of the next section. Sorry. In my mind I put them together in this one. But I still don't understand what Kitheri is doing or why.Maybe you can shed some light on it when you read it next. Looking forward to what you make of him too.  This is one charecter that I just don't understand. 

Oh, OK, good!  I will try to figure out what he is up to!

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Oh, OK, good!  I will try to figure out what he is up to!

Thanks Laura  :smileyhappy: