Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

EMMA: Discussion Schedule April 2009

Austen readily admitted her titular heroine was really a heroine only she could love.  Love her, hate her, want to shake her, or anything else, Emma sparkles as only an Austen heroine and novel can.

Discussion schedule:

Week 1, March 30 - April 5:  Volume 1, Chapters I - XIV

Week 2, April 6 - April 12:  Volume 1, Chapters XV - XVIII, & Volume 2, Chapters I - X

Week 3, April 13 - April 19:  Volume 2, Chapters XI - XVIII, & Volume 3, Chapters I - VI

Week 4, April 20 - April 26:  Volume 3, Chapters VII - XIX, and the Whole Novel

(the trick here is to divide a three-volume novel into four parts; if anyone's edition has an aberration in chapter numbering let me know and I'll try and sort you out)

I'll be using the Barnes and Noble Classics trade paper edition (available also in hardcover and mass market paperback) and here are some other available editions:

Complete Jane Austen 8-in-1 volume (and in hardcover)

Dover Thrift Edition paperback

Everyman hardcover

Norton Critical Edition paperback

Oxford World's Classics paperback (new edition and old edition)

Penguin Classics paperback

Modern Library paperback

Random House Vintage Classics paperback

Knopf Vintage Classics paperback

Bedford/St. Martin's paperback

Longman Cultural Edition paperback

Cambridge paperback

Broadview Literary Text paperback

Cengage paperback, edited by Lionel Trilling

Headline Book paperback (rather cloying cover)

Dodo Press paperback

Signet mass market paperback

Bantam mass market paperback

Enriched Classic mass market paperback

Large-print hardcover

Bibliolife hardcover (and paperback)

Audio versions (CD unless specified):

A very nicely priced, unabridged 3-in-1 audio

unabridged, read by Prunella Scales (cassette version)

unabridged, read by Nadia May (also an eBook, too, I think)

unabridged, read by Wanda McCaddon

unabridged, performed by Angharad Rees

cassettes, unabridged, read by Michael Page (Mp3 on CD and unabridged CD)

Guides:

Sparknotes (PDF and paperback) Literature Guide

Emma has also been adapted a number of times for the screen:

1948 - BBC miniseries starring Judy Campbell

1960 - BBC miniseries starring Diana Fairfax

1972 - BBC miniseries starring Doren Godwin (B&N product page)

1996 - motion picture starring Gwyneth Paltrow (B&N product page)

1996 - A&E miniseries starring Kate Beckinsale (B&N product page)

2009 - BBC miniseries, in production, no cast listed on IMDB; this project was originially slated for 1995, but was shelved due to the large number of Austen adaptations already in production

And, of course, there's Clueless.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
Laurel

Re: EMMA: Discussion Schedule April 2009

Oh, Emma! I'll be listening to this one:

The MP3 is an MP3 CD, not an e-book. It is the audio all crushed together on one or two CDs, with little loss to quality but usually quite a bit cheaper than a set of regular CDs. It can be played on a computer, a DVD player, and on many newer CD players.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Thanks, Laurel!  The description on that one was a little strange since it talked about Adobe Acrobat....

Speaking of electronic things, I downloaded Fictionwise's new beta-version eReader for BlackBerry - one of the ebooks available for free was Emma.  It has 2916 pages in the BlackBerry version (only about 20 lines at a time display - so that's a page); I wouldn't want to read for hours and hours using my BlackBerry but it does work nicely for the crowded bus when it's hard to hold a book and pen :smileyvery-happy:

Laurel wrote:

Oh, Emma! I'll be listening to this one:

The MP3 is an MP3 CD, not an e-book. It is the audio all crushed together on one or two CDs, with little loss to quality but usually quite a bit cheaper than a set of regular CDs. It can be played on a computer, a DVD player, and on many newer CD players.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Oh my eyes and fingers! (I forget who said something like that in what book. A Dickens, I think.)

pedsphleb wrote:

Thanks, Laurel!  The description on that one was a little strange since it talked about Adobe Acrobat....

Speaking of electronic things, I downloaded Fictionwise's new beta-version eReader for BlackBerry - one of the ebooks available for free was Emma.  It has 2916 pages in the BlackBerry version (only about 20 lines at a time display - so that's a page); I wouldn't want to read for hours and hours using my BlackBerry but it does work nicely for the crowded bus when it's hard to hold a book and pen :smileyvery-happy:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton