Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

FRANKENSTEIN: Discussion Schedule September 2009

Frankenstein was one of the first books discussed at BNBC under the capable direction of Ilana (the board is archived here).  It is fitting, then, that we revisit Mary Shelley's creature and creator as BNBC nears it's third birthday :smileyhappy:  I will be using the 1831 text (which is the text found in most modern editions) for our discussion.

Week 1, August 31 - September 6: 1831 Introduction, 1818 Preface, Letters I - IV, and Chapters I - IV

Week 2, September 7 - September 13: Chapters V - X

Week 3, September 14 - September 20: Chapters XI - XVII

Week 4, September 21 - September 27: Chapters XVIII - XXIV and the Novel as a Whole

I have the Barnes and Noble trade paperback and new Oxford World's Classics editions (new Oxford World's Classic with the 1818 text and old Oxford 1818).

Other bound editions (all 1831 text unless otherwise indicated):

Barnes and Noble mass market paperback and hardcover

Penguin Classics trade paperback

Modern Library trade paperback

OneWorld Classics trade paperback

Bantam Classics mass market paperback

Signet Classics mass market paperback

Vintage Classics (new edition comparing Mary's original texts and Percy's additions, due out September 8)

Dover Large Print edition

Enriched Classic Series mass market paperback

Norton Critical Edition (1818 text) 

Broadview Literary Texts edition

Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism edition

Longman Cultural Edition

Spanish-lanuage edition translated by Diana Gibson, also in audio here and here

and the Kaplan SAT Score Raising Edition

Audio books:

Penguin Audio read by Richard Pasco (abridged) (also in digital mp3 format)

Digital mp3 read by Fabio Camero (abridged)

Digital mp3 read by Chris Larkin, Daniel Philpott, and Jonathan Oliver (abridged)

The Classic Collection read by Tom Casaletto (unabridged) 

Classic Thrillers, Dracula/Frankenstein with multiple readers (abridged)

Digital mp3 read by Ralph Cosham (unabridged)

Digital mp3 read by David Rintoul (abridged)

Digital mp3 read by David Case and Rhonda McCaddon (unabridged)

Digital mp3 read by Kenneth Branagh

YA/Children's classics editions:

Classic Starts series

Sterling Unabridged Classics series

Dover Children's Thrift Classics series

Classics Illustrated Deluxe Graphic Novels series series

Puffin Graphic Classic series

Great Illustrated Classics hardcover

Stepping Stones series

Anthologies: 

Signet Classics: Frankenstein, Dracula, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Penguin Three Gothic Novels: The Castle of Otranto, Frankenstein, and Vathek 

The Mary Shelley Reader

eBooks:

Barnes and Noble Classics

Penguin Classics

Enriched Classics

Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism

Broadview Literary Texts

Unknown publisher

Frankenstein has been the basis for numerous film adaptations, too - from Boris Karloff and Abbott and Costello to Mel Brooks and Kenneth Branagh.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Re: FRANKENSTEIN: Discussion Schedule September 2009

Thank you for the Frankenstein schedule and also for the advance listing of works to read for the months ahead. I wish the schedule for all book clubs for the month of September would be posted so we could get our books in advance since online purchasing  has a time element involved.  Yvonne

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

You're welcome.  I asked about a September schedule and I guess they were waiting on a few selections.....I prefer to at least appear to be on top of things :smileyvery-happy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Melissa, you not only APPEAR, but you MOST DEFINITELY ARE, on top of things.

Thank you. Having the schedule up is very helpful.

I'm starting "Frankenstein" now, and I look forward to sharing insights with others into this classic next month.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I appreciate having a schedule ahead of time. In fact I bought the Frankenstein book with a coupon Barnes and Noble had for their classic books earlier this month. And I do purchase online also (hate when I couldn't order before discussion begins). I keep checking for the September schedule. Several boards have posted what they are reading. But I do like the one post I can print to know what is coming up.

I am looking forward to the Frankenstein discussion.

pen21

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

From my Britannica email for the day:

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, born this day (August 30) in 1797, was the English Romantic novelist best known as the author of Frankenstein (1818), which recounts the consequences that arise after a scientist builds a human being.

Only one other work than Frankenstein  is much read today according to the notes in my copy of Frankenstein:

The Last Man  

With the death of her husband at an early age, Mary put considerable effort into supporting her family and preserving his legacy.  She was very young when Frankenstein was written -- about twenty.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I'm just now downloading the Ralph Cosham audio to listen to on the train tomorrow, and then I'll try to join in with you all.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton