Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

Re: Hello from a woman who is an author and a reader

I take that as a no.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from a woman who is an author and a reader

Melissa_W wrote:

I take that as a no.

:smileywink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Reader
mzjackson
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hello, every one calls me "Jack". I have been reading since I was 2 years old. ( granted it was "The cat in the hat". Growing up I was never seen without a book in my hand. Now it is my E-reader. I have a new found love of lietrature by women. I hope to meet you all very soon.
Reading is an escape. When the dishwasher, washer and dryer are all going. I am sitting by a pool reading.
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hi Jack, I'm GS.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jack. :smileyhappy:  We'll be reading The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai in January.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Frequent Contributor
PrincessJazz
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I'm PrincessJazz and I'm an avid reader! I love books--my room looks like a secondhand bookstore---so much! I'm interested to know more about your particular genre. I must admit that I've never thought about literature written by women specifically. I mean, I have heard of Stephenie Meyer, Sarah Dessen, Meg Cabot---all women who write for a teenager/young adult audience. I'm guessing this group will lean toward the classics as well as the contemporary reads for older women. I took a peek at your reading schedule and have started The Inheritance of Loss. I'm excited to read something different for a chance. So it's great to meet everybody and hopefully we can have some discussions about the book after the new year~

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hey there! How is the book club? I'm not joining next months read but maybe some othere time.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jazz :smileyhappy:  Our group leans specifically toward classic and/or critically-acclaimed books written by women.  We stay mostly in fic/lit but have branched out into SF/Fantasy, Mystery, etc., on occasion.

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
PrincessJazz
0 Kudos

Great! I can't wait to be open to more books and widen my interests!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Reader 4
coffeeprincess
0 Kudos

Hello all!

My name for intents and purposes is coffeeprincess. I'm a 20-year old journalism student in Chicago who doesn't get to read recreational as much as I would like to. Since I bought my NC I've used it mostly to read for school purposes, but hopefully through a book club I can relax and start reading books I have a stronger interest in.

Although I'm a big fan of young adult authors/books I'm hoping through this club that I can expand my interest and become more well-read.

Looking forward to chatting with you all :cathappy:

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, coffeeprincess :smileyhappy:  We're just finishing Eleanor Brown's novel The Weird Sisters and will be starting on some Jane Austen short pieces in May. 

We're also working out our schedule for June and July if you have any suggestions.  Happy reading!

coffeeprincess wrote:

Hello all!

My name for intents and purposes is coffeeprincess. I'm a 20-year old journalism student in Chicago who doesn't get to read recreational as much as I would like to. Since I bought my NC I've used it mostly to read for school purposes, but hopefully through a book club I can relax and start reading books I have a stronger interest in.

Although I'm a big fan of young adult authors/books I'm hoping through this club that I can expand my interest and become more well-read.

Looking forward to chatting with you all :cathappy:

Melissa W.
New User
Major_Anne
0 Kudos

Hi! I just joined, and I am looking forward to discussions on literature by women. As if you couldn't tell by my pen name, I mostly am interested in military and adventure writing by women. Recently I finished Titanic: Legacy fo Betrayal  (I recommend it); I stopped reading Black Wings (too depressing and too true to my own experiences); and I just started Eye's Right (good so far).

What is the community reading and discussing right now?

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Anne :smileyhappy:

We've just started The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich for this month and then we'll read Anne McCaffrey's The Girl Who Heard Dragons in August.

Major_Anne wrote:

Hi! I just joined, and I am looking forward to discussions on literature by women. As if you couldn't tell by my pen name, I mostly am interested in military and adventure writing by women. Recently I finished Titanic: Legacy fo Betrayal  (I recommend it); I stopped reading Black Wings (too depressing and too true to my own experiences); and I just started Eye's Right (good so far).

What is the community reading and discussing right now?

Melissa W.
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

Hi again--I hope to be back taking part with the next selection. I have a copy of the Sparrow ordered.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome back! :smileyhappy:  We'll be starting next Monday.

streamsong wrote:

Hi again--I hope to be back taking part with the next selection. I have a copy of the Sparrow ordered.

Melissa W.
Author
Ruth_Harris
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I've been a reader since I was 3, my parents were both avid readers & the library one of my favorite places. I'm also a woman who writes about women, our personal & professional lives set against the tumultuous social and cultural changes of the 20th Century.

I'm a million-copy NYT bestseller who's been compared to Nora Ephron & Joan Didion. My critically-acclaimed women's fiction has been called "brilliant," "steamy," "stylishly written," "richly plotted," "first-class entertainment" and "a sure thing." The books comprise the Park Avenue Series and are: Decades, Husbands and Lovers, Love and Money, Modern Women, The Last Romantics.

I'm so happy to find a board devoted to women's fiction & look forward to hearing what others like & look for in this genre.

Park Avenue Series

New User
wiltingdragonfly
0 Kudos

wiltingdragonfly wrote: wow thanks for the list. I am only good with pointing out African American Authors and the typical classical literature women that are excluded from the canon. I am searching myself for the obscure woman's literature that is just as delicious but not well known. I guess I will just have to keep stumbling upon it blindly like I have been doing.

WDF -- If you read African American female authors, I presume your list includes (?):

Toni Morrison -- dean of them all with her Nobel prize

Zora Neale Huston -- of course, Their Eyes Are Watching God is her classic; Jonah's Gourd Vine (1934) is one recently brought to my attention, I believe by a Silas House interview, although I can't seem to confirm that right now.

Ann Petry -- her The Street  is a "favorite" of mine.

Bebe Moore Campbell

Terry MacMillan - Waiting to Exhale  

Do suggest others of whom we should be aware.

If you want to play with "stumbling blindly" in finding female authors, some sources I use are:

Wiki's list of novelists by nationality -- you do have to figure out who is female (as for the others here).

Pulitzer Prize winners

Man Booker Prize contenders -- the entire site can bear browsing for ideas on writers and books.

Neustadt Prize winners

Nobel Prize in Literature

Michael Dirda's Classics for Pleasure  

I also like to fiddle with lists of 100 "best" novels for reading ideas.

Wiki does have other lists as well -- sometimes one has to play, i.e., stumble blindly, to find one that works for what one wants at the moment.

Since it has been more than a year. yes iam familiar with those except for Anne Street. also harriet jacobs, nella larson, edwidge danticat to name a few and of corse alice walker. j california cooper. beverly jenkins is more historical romance. thanks for the suggestions