Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Yay!  Welcome back Deb :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

hi my name is sara and im from iowa. i have a dog name buddy who i love very much.anyway i just got done reading a very good book by womens author OCTAVIA E. BUTLER. its  called KINDRED its about this modern black woman who gets transported back and forth time and  again to the antebellum south of the 1800s. she goes  to this plantation where she is summmoned to save the life of the son of the white plantation owner.and every time hes in trouble she goes back. her name which is dana finds out first hand what it means to be a slave. also she is married to a white man. i thought it was much better than the time  travelers wife. i really liked this story of time traveling.:smileyhappy::smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Hi Sara! I have a greyhound named Buddy. He is kept company by three felines named Erin, Oscar, and Bandit. Kindred sounds interesting. I have yet to read The Time Travelers Wife.

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone-

I have been following this board for a little while and decided to go ahead and join in.  I read the Poisonwood Bible about a year ago.  I probably won't be saying much about it yet, I will wait and see what others are saying as they get into it.

I really want to join in on the April selection North and South, so I have requested the book from my library. 

I have participated in a couple of the other boards- First Look and Sneak Peak.  I live in a Northern Virginia suburb NW of DC. I am also a member of a ladies book club that meets about every 4-6 weeks.  

It has been a good winter for staying inside and reading!!

coffee_luvr

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome coffee_luvr.  Feel free to jump in as much/as little/lurk as you like :smileyvery-happy:

coffee_luvr wrote:

Hello Everyone-

I have been following this board for a little while and decided to go ahead and join in.  I read the Poisonwood Bible about a year ago.  I probably won't be saying much about it yet, I will wait and see what others are saying as they get into it.

I really want to join in on the April selection North and South, so I have requested the book from my library. 

I have participated in a couple of the other boards- First Look and Sneak Peak.  I live in a Northern Virginia suburb NW of DC. I am also a member of a ladies book club that meets about every 4-6 weeks.  

It has been a good winter for staying inside and reading!!

coffee_luvr

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Contributor
DesiDivine
0 Kudos

Welcome coffee_luvr! I love coffee too in fact im addicted. Drop in often!

"Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear."
- John Lennon
Contributor
nhbookfan
0 Kudos

Hi - my name is Alison and I live in Southwestern NH with my husband and cat. I love to read in my spare time. I always say I will read just about anything, just don't give me a Steve King book or a trashy romance novel. I have read a few Danielle Steel books, but after a while they all seem to be the same. I think my favorite female writer is probably Jodi Picoult. I've read a few of her books, but every now and then I need to shake things up a bit!

I am currently reading The Piano Teacher, and have a few books in the wings, as I tend to buy books faster than I read them. My husband thinks I have an addiction, and constantly tells me that it would just be cheaper to go get a library card, but I love to wander around a book store, and very rarely do I leave empty handed!!!

I have added to this board before, but just thought I should introduce myself!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nhbookfan wrote:

Hi - my name is Alison and I live in Southwestern NH with my husband and cat. I love to read in my spare time. I always say I will read just about anything, just don't give me a Steve King book or a trashy romance novel. I have read a few Danielle Steel books, but after a while they all seem to be the same. I think my favorite female writer is probably Jodi Picoult. I've read a few of her books, but every now and then I need to shake things up a bit!

I am currently reading The Piano Teacher, and have a few books in the wings, as I tend to buy books faster than I read them. My husband thinks I have an addiction, and constantly tells me that it would just be cheaper to go get a library card, but I love to wander around a book store, and very rarely do I leave empty handed!!!

Alison -- hope we continue to hear from you!

Have you (or others on these boards) read either of these other books entitled Piano Teacher or Piano Tuner:

The Piano Teacher  by Elfriede Jelinek (Nobel Prize, 2004)  (I found this a difficult book that I was unwilling to finish and that has probably put me off on reading anything with that title or is another by Jelinek -- an unfortunate statement to make about a writer with gifts that have commanded international respect and prestige.)

The Piano Tuner  by Daniel Mason

"Daniel Mason's debut novel, The Piano Tuner, is the mesmerizing story of Edgar Drake, commissioned by the British War Office in 1886 to travel to hostile Burma to repair a rare Erard grand piano vital to the Crown's strategic interests. Eccentric Surgeon-Major Anthony Carroll has brokered peace with local warlords primarily through music, a free medical clinic, and the 'powers' of common scientific instruments, much to the dismay of warmongering officers suspect of such unorthodox methods. Drake is an introspective, well-mannered soul who, once there, falls in love with Burma and stays long past the piano-fixing to aid Carroll's political agenda."  Excerpt from Michael Ferch.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Alison, jump in anytime you want :smileyhappy:

nhbookfan wrote:

Melissa W.
Reader 4
thedawn
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I just joined the club and, I'm so excited!

I live in a suburb of Milwaukee, WI with my husband, two kids, and my beloved water snail, FloJo.  I'm an adult student at a career-focused university and full-time every term.  I love to own books, love to read books, love the bookstores...I have to make it work between my textbooks and the books for the club.  How?  I've never done this before but, I think I'll try Melissa's strategy of reading a multitude of books simultaneously.

"When I give, I give myself." -- Walt Whitman

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Dawn!  I wouldn't recommend quite so many books at once - it can become crazy after a while (speaks from experience) :smileyvery-happy:

thedawn wrote:

I live in a suburb of Milwaukee, WI with my husband, two kids, and my beloved water snail, FloJo.  I'm an adult student at a career-focused university and full-time every term.  I love to own books, love to read books, love the bookstores...I have to make it work between my textbooks and the books for the club.  How?  I've never done this before but, I think I'll try Melissa's strategy of reading a multitude of books simultaneously.

Melissa W.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

thedawn wrote:

Cool a water snail. How big is FloJo? I've seen one 4" across by width once.

New User
AdrienneTX
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Adrienne, and I live in Houston, TX.  I am a research librarian working for the oil land gas industry.  I have a wonderful hubby and a 10 year old daughter, who is also an avid reader.  I majored in Philosophy and have a master's degree in Library Science.

I have been looking for an online book forum for awhile now and am happy to have found this one. 

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome!  I see you've already made yourself at home :smileyvery-happy:

AdrienneTX wrote:

Hi!  My name is Adrienne, and I live in Houston, TX.  I am a research librarian working for the oil land gas industry.  I have a wonderful hubby and a 10 year old daughter, who is also an avid reader.  I majored in Philosophy and have a master's degree in Library Science.

I have been looking for an online book forum for awhile now and am happy to have found this one. 

Melissa W.
Contributor
nhbookfan
0 Kudos

I just got my copy of North and South in the mail from B&N.com. I can't wait to start reading it for April's book discussion!

Inspired Contributor
Marek_S
0 Kudos

I'm excited to join in on Runaway with you!  I should get my copy soon!

Marek
New User
ananef79
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new here so I figured I'd just pop in and introduce myself. My name is Farrah and I live in York, U.K.

I am a romance novel buff, but I do occassionally read 'serious books'. A  few of my favourite books by female authors are:

Half of a yellow sun by Chimamanda Adichie

Perfect by Judith McNaught

Here and now by Alice Hoffman

Definition of a miracle by Farida Bedwei

The Kitchen God's wife by Amy Tan

I highly recommend them all...

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Farrah :smileyhappy:  We are finishing North and South this week and will start Alice Munro's Runaway on Monday.

If you're a romance novel buff be sure to stop by Melanie's board - Romantic Reads - to say Hi. 

ananef79 wrote:

Hi,

I am new here so I figured I'd just pop in and introduce myself. My name is Farrah and I live in York, U.K.

I am a romance novel buff, but I do occassionally read 'serious books'. A  few of my favourite books by female authors are:

Half of a yellow sun by Chimamanda Adichie

Perfect by Judith McNaught

Here and now by Alice Hoffman

Definition of a miracle by Farida Bedwei

The Kitchen God's wife by Amy Tan

I highly recommend them all...

Melissa W.
New User
Lynne_LaRochelle
0 Kudos

Hi - My name is Lynne.  I tend to favor female authors because I appreciate a well-drawn female character.  A reading group would be nice for me because I sometimes miss sub-text and would like to train that part of my mind.  My brain is pretty analytical in other areas (I'm a chemist and former teacher) but I tend to take fiction at face value, missing a world of meaning I've been told!  Plus, it's just darn nice to discuss books with people who read!

My other interests are dogs, hiking/backpacking, yoga, crafts in general, and knitting in particular.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Lynne -- welcome here!

Look forward to your posts!

This can be a delightful place with lots of learning.

Pepper

Lynne_LaRochelle wrote:

Hi - My name is Lynne.  I tend to favor female authors because I appreciate a well-drawn female character.  A reading group would be nice for me because I sometimes miss sub-text and would like to train that part of my mind.  My brain is pretty analytical in other areas (I'm a chemist and former teacher) but I tend to take fiction at face value, missing a world of meaning I've been told!  Plus, it's just darn nice to discuss books with people who read!

My other interests are dogs, hiking/backpacking, yoga, crafts in general, and knitting in particular.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy