Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome Susan!  Come on in, the water's fine :smileyhappy:

(oh, and Netflix is too, too much fun :smileyvery-happy: )

SusanHG wrote:

Hello Everyone,

My name is Susan and I am a full-time mom from upstate NY.  I am coming over from Classics, but still immersed in reading Little Dorrit.  I would love to join in for Wives and Daughters and will start reading as soon as I can.  I have never read it, but it has been on my list to be read.  I have also tried to locate the film by Andrew Davies in our public library system. I think someone mentioned Netflix, so maybe we'll join.  I am usually a sporadic contributor to the book clubs depending on how busy I am with my family, so please bear with me.

I love literature and hope to be surrounded by it in a career someday. I studied English at university and will be returning to graduate school in the Fall to finish. Barnes and Noble Book Clubs definitely keep me going! 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
janeite4
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Jessica and I live in Minnesota with my cat and my boyfriend. I love reading 18th and 19th century British Lit., and my favorite authors are Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. I am also a member of JASNA. This is my first book club and I look forward to getting to know everyone and discussing some great books! At the moment I am reading Jane Austen: A Life by Claire Tomalin.
Nobody minds having what is too good for them.-Emma
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jessica!  Don't forget to stop by Classics, too, since Connie is finishing up a spring full of Dickens (ending with an encore of Perusasion).

janeite4 wrote:
Hi! My name is Jessica and I live in Minnesota with my cat and my boyfriend. I love reading 18th and 19th century British Lit., and my favorite authors are Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. I am also a member of JASNA. This is my first book club and I look forward to getting to know everyone and discussing some great books! At the moment I am reading Jane Austen: A Life by Claire Tomalin.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The title of this thread has been bugging me a bit, since it seems so familiar and yet I couldn't place it, but I think I finally have it!

It's from the Disney movie of Alice in Wonderland, isn't it?  I think it's a song by Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee, when they meet Alice.  The longer line is "Say 'How do you do' and shake hands, and state your name and business!" (as far as I can recall - I had the record album from the movie when I was little).

Edit:  I just went back and read the first post, Melissa, and I guess you did give some indication of the source - sorry!  I had forgotten, and in my head it just seemed that the line should go on longer, but I couldn't get the rest of it.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 04-24-2009 10:25 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Yup!  Alice it is.  I was trying to think of a fun way to get people to introduce themselves.  Not exactly a women's lit author, but Alice is quite fun :smileyhappy:

dulcinea3 wrote:

The title of this thread has been bugging me a bit, since it seems so familiar and yet I couldn't place it, but I think I finally have it!

It's from the Disney movie of Alice in Wonderland, isn't it?  I think it's a song by Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee, when they meet Alice.  The longer line is "Say 'How do you do' and shake hands, and state your name and business!" (as far as I can recall - I had the record album from the movie when I was little).

Edit:  I just went back and read the first post, Melissa, and I guess you did give some indication of the source - sorry!  I had forgotten, and in my head it just seemed that the line should go on longer, but I couldn't get the rest of it.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 04-24-2009 10:25 AM

Melissa W.
New User
jessicaRK
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I am new to book clubs as well as forums in general so please excuse me if I do things incorrectly! :smileywink:

Could someone tell me how I will know what book we will read next, as well as when to start reading/ when chapters will be discussed?

Thank you so much!

-JessicaRK

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, JessicaRK!  I have to apologize for being a little discombobulated right now but quickly this is the overall schedule for the LitbyWomen group (Jon_B always posts the monthly schedule for the BNBC as a whole in the "Announcements" board); our June selection is Dorothy Sayers's The Nine Tailors (I hope to get a reading schedule thread up shortly) and we'll start next Monday, June 1.

jessicaRK wrote:

Hi everyone!

I am new to book clubs as well as forums in general so please excuse me if I do things incorrectly! :smileywink:

Could someone tell me how I will know what book we will read next, as well as when to start reading/ when chapters will be discussed?

Thank you so much!

-JessicaRK

Melissa W.
New User
Labyrynth
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Jessica.  I live in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.  I am new to this whole BN book club thing.  I have been wanting to join a book club for the longest time but haven't been able to find one.  So, I hope this all works out.  Please feel free to write to me or whatever.  I hope to get to know some of you! 

Thanks!

Jessica

*It's my turn to be brave*
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jessica!

We are "all online, all the time" (particularly those of us - like moi - who are slightly internet addicted :smileyvery-happy: ) so feel free to come and go as you please.  Our selection for June is Dorothy Sayers's The Nine Tailors (we're only about 60 pages in); we'll read Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House in July and The Pick-up by Nadine Gordimer in August.  I'll probably hold nominations/voting for the next round of titles at the end of July/beginning of August.

Labyrynth wrote:

Hello,

My name is Jessica.  I live in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.  I am new to this whole BN book club thing.  I have been wanting to join a book club for the longest time but haven't been able to find one.  So, I hope this all works out.  Please feel free to write to me or whatever.  I hope to get to know some of you! 

Thanks!

Jessica

Melissa W.
Distinguished Correspondent
Taylor-Marie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, my name is Taylor =)

I'm new to this section of the board but I've read a lot of literature by women and I did read a few pages of The Nine Tailors so I decided to check this place out. Basically I'm from Southern California and I'm 18, just graduated from high school on June 16. I love classics but I read a fair amount of new literature, such as The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. And now I'm hoping I'll have some good conversations about books now that I have a summer off from school and no one to talk to about them, haha. (the tragicness of being the only bibliophile in your group of friends)

Message Edited by Taylor-Marie on 06-22-2009 11:35 AM
-------------------
My teachers tell me I daydream too much....I tell them they work too much.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Taylor! :smileyhappy:  Jump in whenever you like.

Taylor-Marie wrote:

Hi, my name is Taylor =)

I'm new to this section of the board but I've read a lot of literature by women and I did read a few pages of The Nine Tailors so I decided to check this place out. Basically I'm from Southern California and I'm 18, just graduated from high school on June 16. I love classics but I read a fair amount of new literature, such as The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. And now I'm hoping I'll have some good conversations about books now that I have a summer off from school and no one to talk to about them, haha. (the tragicness of being the only bibliophile in your group of friends)

Message Edited by Taylor-Marie on 06-22-2009 11:35 AM

Melissa W.
Reader 4
AnneSR
0 Kudos

I have never participated in an online book club before.  I read the first three chapters in The Haunting of Hill House yesterday and I'm hooked!   I'm looking forward to the holiday-shortened week with a great book to read.

I have enjoyed reading a lot of the comments about previous selections.  It gives me some great ideas to add to my "Must Read Someday" list.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Anne! :smileyhappy:

AnneSR wrote:

I have never participated in an online book club before.  I read the first three chapters in The Haunting of Hill House yesterday and I'm hooked!   I'm looking forward to the holiday-shortened week with a great book to read.

I have enjoyed reading a lot of the comments about previous selections.  It gives me some great ideas to add to my "Must Read Someday" list.

Melissa W.
Contributor
DylanMeeks
0 Kudos

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Dylan and I'm a freelance writer. I'm excited to be a part of the group!

DM

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Dylan!

DylanMeeks wrote:

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Dylan and I'm a freelance writer. I'm excited to be a part of the group!

DM

Melissa W.
New User
laceyjane
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Lacey! I am 18 years old, and I graduated from high school at the beginning of June. I live in central California, in a small town that nobody has ever heard of, haha. I'm currently employed as an intern at the local newspaper we have here. I've written four stories for the paper so far, which is great practice for me, as I will be majoring in journalism in college. I start college in late August, and am hoping to take a women's literature class if I have room in my schedule amongst all of my journalism classes, which is why I've decided to join this book club :smileyhappy:. It will be great to discuss all of the wonderful novels out there that have been written by women!

I tend to be very busy a lot of the time, but I will jump in whenever I can!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Welcome, Lacey!  Look forward to your comments. 

If you do take an Women's Lit class, would be interested to hear what your "texts" are.

Congrats and good luck on your intended career path!

Pepper

PS -- do join in the recommendation and election of our next set of readings when the time comes.

laceyjane wrote:

Hello, my name is Lacey! I am 18 years old, and I graduated from high school at the beginning of June. I live in central California, in a small town that nobody has ever heard of, haha. I'm currently employed as an intern at the local newspaper we have here. I've written four stories for the paper so far, which is great practice for me, as I will be majoring in journalism in college. I start college in late August, and am hoping to take a women's literature class if I have room in my schedule amongst all of my journalism classes, which is why I've decided to join this book club :smileyhappy:. It will be great to discuss all of the wonderful novels out there that have been written by women!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Lacey! :smileyhappy:

laceyjane wrote:

Melissa W.
New User
beathunderstorm
0 Kudos

Hey all I'm Erin from Connecticut. I am currently a college student working on a degree in English and Elementary Education. Currently i'm enjoying my summer working as a head lifeguard at a town pool and looking forward to student teaching in the fall! :smileyhappy:
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Erin :smileyhappy:

beathunderstorm wrote:
Hey all I'm Erin from Connecticut. I am currently a college student working on a degree in English and Elementary Education. Currently i'm enjoying my summer working as a head lifeguard at a town pool and looking forward to student teaching in the fall! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.