Reply
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

I'm still here, only with a new pen name!

I had to change my pen name due to some new improvements occuring around the Book Clubs and brick-and-mortar booksellers who cross-channel.

 

Henceforth, "pedsphleb" is now "Melissa_W" which makes waaaaayyy more sense ("pedsphleb" being a holdover from the old BNU that I was trying to figure out how to change anyway).

 

And Paul has already effected this change which means I need to update some links elsewhere.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
Beck029
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hello!

 My name is Rebecca (though I'm going by Beck029 on the boards) and I am in Oregon. I am a stay at home mom and also a student (majoring in English). I am an avid reader and die hard book lover. I don't have one favorite author, but many. Besides reading I love anything where I can be with my family and friends, trips to the coast, movies, music, and video gaming (xbox360). Am excited to be joining the group and to see what everyone enjoys reading!

Happy Friday!

Inspired Contributor
bartzturkeymom
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎07-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hi! I'm Sue Barton - not a nurse of any kind, student or otherwise. I recently discovered the book clubs and though I don't want to jump into your current book. I'm game for whatever is next.
There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. - Edith Wharton
Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

The heroine of my childhood, and now I discover she's not really a nurse!

bartzturkeymom wrote:
Hi! I'm Sue Barton - not a nurse of any kind, student or otherwise. I recently discovered the book clubs and though I don't want to jump into your current book. I'm game for whatever is next.

 

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome Sue!


bartzturkeymom wrote:
Hi! I'm Sue Barton - not a nurse of any kind, student or otherwise. I recently discovered the book clubs and though I don't want to jump into your current book. I'm game for whatever is next.


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
TheTrueBookAddict
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎08-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

I posted this originally in the wrong thread...oops!

 

Hi, I'm Michelle.  I met Melissa (and many others on here) over on Twitter.  I used to take the Barnes & Noble Univ. courses way back when and I knew about the book clubs here, but it had been a while and I didn't know B & N had built such a great community! And the new profile thing...I love it! I'm looking so forward to joining in, as I love, love, love to read and talk about books!

 

Thanks Melissa!

Medicine for the soul. ~inscription over the door of the library at Thebes

thetruebookaddict.blogspot.com

http://castlemacabre.blogspot.com/
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome back :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!


TheTrueBookAddict wrote [ed.]:
Hi, I'm Michelle.  I met Melissa (and many others on here) over on Twitter.  I used to take the Barnes & Noble Univ. courses way back when and I knew about the book clubs here, but it had been a while and I didn't know B & N had built such a great community! And the new profile thing...I love it! I'm looking so forward to joining in, as I love, love, love to read and talk about books!

 

Thanks Melissa!


I like your tag line.  I didn't know that.  Look forward to your posts, Michelle.

 

Medicine for the soul. ~ inscription over the door of the library at Thebes

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
Darcy2163
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hi all - I'm Daphne, a 45 year old working mom living in NYC.  I am new to the boards and have been getting my feet wet in the Classics Club this month with Madame Bovary.  It is truly like attending a free literature class with the amount I have learned from the posts over the last two weeks here!  This just brings an added dimension to my beloved hobby of reading.

 

I was delighted with the list of books proposed for the coming months and was surprised and happy to find this morning that all four of my candidates were chosen (Shelley, Eliot, Christie and O'Connor).  Not only that, but we have seven months of great reading ahead of us.  I was torn on what to vote for and almost voted for A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. 

 

It is a pleasure to meet and greet you all.

Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome Darcy :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
TheTrueBookAddict
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎08-10-2009
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!


Peppermill wrote:

TheTrueBookAddict wrote [ed.]:
Hi, I'm Michelle.  I met Melissa (and many others on here) over on Twitter.  I used to take the Barnes & Noble Univ. courses way back when and I knew about the book clubs here, but it had been a while and I didn't know B & N had built such a great community! And the new profile thing...I love it! I'm looking so forward to joining in, as I love, love, love to read and talk about books!

 

Thanks Melissa!


I like your tag line.  I didn't know that.  Look forward to your posts, Michelle.

 

Medicine for the soul. ~ inscription over the door of the library at Thebes


 

Thanks! I can't remember where I got it...it was off one of the online quote pages.  I love it! It's my motto :smileyhappy:
Medicine for the soul. ~inscription over the door of the library at Thebes

thetruebookaddict.blogspot.com

http://castlemacabre.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hey! I am Luanne. I am reading Frankenstein for the discussion coming up next week.

I thought inviting us in to vote on selections was a great way to involve everyone.

One of my favorite books "And Then There Were None" will be coming up in November.

pen21

B&N Bookseller
elise_m
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-24-2009
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hi everyone!

 

I'm Elise, a bookseller in sunny and smoky California. Yes, it is as exciting as it sounds. I'm just getting started, and this seems like as good a place as any! Maybe better, as I've realized fairly recently that almost all I read are lady authors. Looking forward to joing in some of the conversations!

When the end comes, when the ice caps melt and the seas boil and the sky falls, I won't want to be hiding in some stranger's bathroom.
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome Luanne :smileyhappy: 

 


pen21 wrote:

Hey! I am Luanne. I am reading Frankenstein for the discussion coming up next week.

I thought inviting us in to vote on selections was a great way to involve everyone.

One of my favorite books "And Then There Were None" will be coming up in November.

pen21


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome Elise (from one bookseller to another :smileyhappy: )
elise_m wrote:

Hi everyone!

 

I'm Elise, a bookseller in sunny and smoky California. Yes, it is as exciting as it sounds. I'm just getting started, and this seems like as good a place as any! Maybe better, as I've realized fairly recently that almost all I read are lady authors. Looking forward to joing in some of the conversations!


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
Posts: 160
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hi, I am new here at LBW. Melissa posted about the voting of books to read and I became involved; happily envolved.

I live in Northern California with my cat Bridget. I am a 60 year old widow and not sure if I will marry again after spending the last 19 years with a wonderful husband who spoiled me completely.

I am fairly new to reading and writing. It all came about when I had a neck injury, surgery and now am disabled. I found reading a pleasure and journaling rewarding. I have now advanced with the help of the wonderful world of cyberspace to practicing writing fiction. :smileyvery-happy:

 

I do have a question--First Look has a reading schedule,  Is there a monthly reading schedule to keep discussion on track so we do not spoil the ending of the book  for those not done reading it or do we get the book read before discussion starts??

 

Thank you for any help and look forward to October, The Mill on the Floss

Cora  

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Cora -- welcome!

 

You can get a sense of how Melissa moderates this board by looking at the threads she has posted.  For example, she has one with the overall schedule for Frankenstein, then individual ones for each week of the month, as well as threads for the author and for other media.  As readers, we can read at whatever pace suits our lives, but postings should respect readers who have read only to the section indicated.  (Sometimes a moderator will post a thread for those who are re-reading or who have already read a book and who want to not be concerned about spoilers.   Such a thread will usually be so indicated so others can ignore it if they choose.)

 

Look forward to hearing from you!

 

Pepper


Coral50 wrote:

Hi, I am new here at LBW. Melissa posted about the voting of books to read and I became involved; happily envolved.

I live in Northern California with my cat Bridget. I am a 60 year old widow and not sure if I will marry again after spending the last 19 years with a wonderful husband who spoiled me completely.

I am fairly new to reading and writing. It all came about when I had a neck injury, surgery and now am disabled. I found reading a pleasure and journaling rewarding. I have now advanced with the help of the wonderful world of cyberspace to practicing writing fiction. :smileyvery-happy:

 

I do have a question--First Look has a reading schedule,  Is there a monthly reading schedule to keep discussion on track so we do not spoil the ending of the book  for those not done reading it or do we get the book read before discussion starts??

 

Thank you for any help and look forward to October, The Mill on the Floss

Cora  


 

 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
Posts: 160
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Thank you Peppermill...I will be ready.

Cora

 

 


Peppermill wrote:

Cora -- welcome!

 

You can get a sense of how Melissa moderates this board by looking at the threads she has posted.  For example, she has one with the overall schedule for Frankenstein, then individual ones for each week of the month, as well as threads for the author and for other media.  As readers, we can read at whatever pace suits our lives, but postings should respect readers who have read only to the section indicated.  (Sometimes a moderator will post a thread for those who are re-reading or who have already read a book and who want to not be concerned about spoilers.   Such a thread will usually be so indicated so others can ignore it if they choose.)

 

Look forward to hearing from you!

 

Pepper


Coral50 wrote:

Hi, I am new here at LBW. Melissa posted about the voting of books to read and I became involved; happily envolved.

I live in Northern California with my cat Bridget. I am a 60 year old widow and not sure if I will marry again after spending the last 19 years with a wonderful husband who spoiled me completely.

I am fairly new to reading and writing. It all came about when I had a neck injury, surgery and now am disabled. I found reading a pleasure and journaling rewarding. I have now advanced with the help of the wonderful world of cyberspace to practicing writing fiction. :smileyvery-happy:

 

I do have a question--First Look has a reading schedule,  Is there a monthly reading schedule to keep discussion on track so we do not spoil the ending of the book  for those not done reading it or do we get the book read before discussion starts??

 

Thank you for any help and look forward to October, The Mill on the Floss

Cora  


 

 


 

Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome Coral! :smileyhappy:

 

I usually post a schedule for the group with the reading broken up into weeks and then there is a thread for each week.  Generally the last thread is a "whole novel" thread as well.  You can look through the current Frankenstein threads to see how everything lays out.

 

We also have a Community thread (THE BOOK NOOK) for people to post about whatever they like, too.


Coral50 wrote:

Hi, I am new here at LBW. Melissa posted about the voting of books to read and I became involved; happily envolved.

I live in Northern California with my cat Bridget. I am a 60 year old widow and not sure if I will marry again after spending the last 19 years with a wonderful husband who spoiled me completely.

I am fairly new to reading and writing. It all came about when I had a neck injury, surgery and now am disabled. I found reading a pleasure and journaling rewarding. I have now advanced with the help of the wonderful world of cyberspace to practicing writing fiction. :smileyvery-happy:

 

I do have a question--First Look has a reading schedule,  Is there a monthly reading schedule to keep discussion on track so we do not spoil the ending of the book  for those not done reading it or do we get the book read before discussion starts??

 

Thank you for any help and look forward to October, The Mill on the Floss

Cora  


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
Posts: 160
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Thank you Melissa. I will watch for October, The Mill & The Floss schedule. And I have found The Book Nook; so I will be busy with these, FL and my TBR list. This will be good for now, my reading is getting better from these groups, I am not going to overload it "though it would be easy :smileyhappy: "  I do expect great improvements with my comprehension in the coming year. 

Cora


Melissa_W wrote:

Welcome Coral! :smileyhappy:

 

I usually post a schedule for the group with the reading broken up into weeks and then there is a thread for each week.  Generally the last thread is a "whole novel" thread as well.  You can look through the current Frankenstein threads to see how everything lays out.

 

We also have a Community thread (THE BOOK NOOK) for people to post about whatever they like, too.


Coral50 wrote:

Hi, I am new here at LBW. Melissa posted about the voting of books to read and I became involved; happily envolved.

I live in Northern California with my cat Bridget. I am a 60 year old widow and not sure if I will marry again after spending the last 19 years with a wonderful husband who spoiled me completely.

I am fairly new to reading and writing. It all came about when I had a neck injury, surgery and now am disabled. I found reading a pleasure and journaling rewarding. I have now advanced with the help of the wonderful world of cyberspace to practicing writing fiction. :smileyvery-happy:

 

I do have a question--First Look has a reading schedule,  Is there a monthly reading schedule to keep discussion on track so we do not spoil the ending of the book  for those not done reading it or do we get the book read before discussion starts??

 

Thank you for any help and look forward to October, The Mill on the Floss

Cora