Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome Marcie!  :smileyhappy:  If you "run into" Danielle (chadadanielleKR) she participates from France, too.
Marcie95 wrote:

Hello to all booklovers out there!    Bonjour from France!  I'm very glad to be joining you for the discussion on the short stories of Flannery O'Connor. 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

Re: Iowa, the sunshine state?

Hello.  I am Sarah, also from Iowa.  I must admit I am finally starting to read all of the Jane Austen books and other classics that I fell in love with years ago through the movies.    It is high time I did the reading as the books are always better.  Currently, I am reading Mansfield Park as part of a Jane Austen book club I am doing with my friends as a way to pass the Iowa winter away.  After that, I cannot wait to read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.  It is one of my favorite movies. 

Contributor
Jess_DM
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Jess I am 18 and finishing up my senior year of high school in Texas. In August I will be moving to New York City to attend Barnard College which I am very excited about. I have been a bibliophile for the majority of my life with a particular interest in classic literature; I'm looking forward to delving into a lovely discussion with all of you!

"I'm afraid of nothing except being bored." -Greta Garbo
Contributor
BookAholicInVT
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Erika. I am just ending my 9 year job of working for a bookstore. I love to read ( I call myself a Bookaholic). I will read just about any genre, but I am not much of a fan of non-ficiton. I was a history major in college and I think I had to read to many poorly written non-fiction books. I didn't read many of the classics in school so I am reading them now for fun. Oh, I should probably mention that I read at least one book a day.

Erika

You can never have to many books.
New User
bocce
0 Kudos

Hi all:

I am a former English major turned lawyer and am trying to get back to my literary roots.  I love to read the classics, especially by women authors.  Looking forward to the discussion.  This is my first time participating in a on-line book club, so it may take me some time to get used to how it works.  Thanks for your patience.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Jess -- congratulations!  You must have gotten early acceptance!

Hope you enjoy your sojourn on the Upper West Side of NYC!  

Look forward to your comments here.  Hope we can be a respite from study.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
Jess_DM
0 Kudos

Thanks Pepper! Yes I was accepted early decision. It feels so much better to have that worry relieved so much sooner so I can enjoy the rest of the year with less stress. I'm looking forward to getting started with you all on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!

Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

Reintroducing myself.... I'm AJ, in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.  I'm a food service manager with a huge history as a reader (including a BA, so all I had to do all day was sit around and read) and my new job gives me scheduled time off so I think I may be able to keep up with the schedule here!  I actually received A Tree Grows in Brooklyn off a wish list and haven't gotten to reread it yet, so I thought this would be good place to do so.

Happy to see some familiar "faces" and some new blood!

~ Happiness is a good book, a sleeping cat, and a glass of wine. ~
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, fellow I-wegian :)

Welcome, Sarah!  We are having quite a winter - lots of snow/ice/arctic temperature, bleah!

I'll be opening nominations for our next batch of selections in a few weeks.  Be sure to nominate North and South since it's not been discussed here since I became moderator three years ago.  (And I like the movie, too - Richard Armitage, yowza!)

MADIS wrote:

Hello.  I am Sarah, also from Iowa.  I must admit I am finally starting to read all of the Jane Austen books and other classics that I fell in love with years ago through the movies.    It is high time I did the reading as the books are always better.  Currently, I am reading Mansfield Park as part of a Jane Austen book club I am doing with my friends as a way to pass the Iowa winter away.  After that, I cannot wait to read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.  It is one of my favorite movies. 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome bibliocharm :smileyhappy:
bibliocharm wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I love reading wonderful books and decided to give this online book club a try. I have just found you so have not had a chance to buy the book yet but will pick it up tonight and start reading. I have not checked out the discussions on the book yet and am not sure how it all works but I am confident I will find out how to use your system. I love all good reads but I am very interested at this time in my life to read women's lit. I have reached the age of 57 when a woman is evaluating her life and where she wants to go from here and I think that is why I feel so drawn to the writings of other women at this point in my life. I look forward to sharing my thoughts with you and to learning from your insights as well.

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome and congratulations! :smileyvery-happy: 
Jess_DM wrote:

Thanks Pepper! Yes I was accepted early decision. It feels so much better to have that worry relieved so much sooner so I can enjoy the rest of the year with less stress. I'm looking forward to getting started with you all on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Erika!  We'll be starting A Tree Grows in Brooklyn on Monday.
BookAholicInVT wrote:

Hi! My name is Erika. I am just ending my 9 year job of working for a bookstore. I love to read ( I call myself a Bookaholic). I will read just about any genre, but I am not much of a fan of non-ficiton. I was a history major in college and I think I had to read to many poorly written non-fiction books. I didn't read many of the classics in school so I am reading them now for fun. Oh, I should probably mention that I read at least one book a day.

Erika

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, bocce! :smileyhappy:  The nice thing about an online bookclub is that the threads are always here, 24/7.  Each moderator here at BNBC runs things a little differently but in Literature by Women I have threads for each week of discussion, with the last week of discussion being an open thread for discussion of the entire book, spoilers and all.  Just post your thoughts or questions on the relevant thread and I or one of the other readers will respond...and off we go :smileyhappy:
bocce wrote:

Hi all:

I am a former English major turned lawyer and am trying to get back to my literary roots.  I love to read the classics, especially by women authors.  Looking forward to the discussion.  This is my first time participating in a on-line book club, so it may take me some time to get used to how it works.  Thanks for your patience.

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome back, AJ! :smileyhappy:
AJ981979 wrote:

Reintroducing myself.... I'm AJ, in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.  I'm a food service manager with a huge history as a reader (including a BA, so all I had to do all day was sit around and read) and my new job gives me scheduled time off so I think I may be able to keep up with the schedule here!  I actually received A Tree Grows in Brooklyn off a wish list and haven't gotten to reread it yet, so I thought this would be good place to do so.

Happy to see some familiar "faces" and some new blood!

Melissa W.
Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome, fellow I-wegian :)

Thanks for the welcome!  The weather continues to be lovely (as the snow starts falling...again).  Maybe I should watch a bit more Richard Armitage to keep me warm.  Hmmm...

Contributor
DesiDivine
0 Kudos

How do you do? HaHa I'm Des. I LOVE books, especially anything horror, mystery, or just plain weird. I am a freshman in college. What else is there to say....  Hmm... Yup that's all. Would love to make new friends and get some great book recommendations.

"Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear."
- John Lennon
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome, Des!

You might want to check out the mystery and paranormal boards as well if you haven't already:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/

Pepper

DesiDivine wrote:

How do you do? HaHa I'm Des. I LOVE books, especially anything horror, mystery, or just plain weird. I am a freshman in college. What else is there to say....  Hmm... Yup that's all. Would love to make new friends and get some great book recommendations.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
Jess_DM
0 Kudos

Welcome Des! This is my first month in this group and I am enjoying it very much; I hope you do too :smileyhappy:

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Des :smileyhappy:  This month we're reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and next month we will read The Poisonwood BibleI.
DesiDivine wrote:

Melissa W.
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

I am also reintroducing myself. I haven't been on the board in quite a while. I will pick up with The Poisonwood Bible. :smileyhappy: I haven't been able to finish a Kingsolver novel by myself. I am in a couple other clubs (First Look: The Poacher's Son and just signed into the mystery club) so I need to start reading right away.

It has snowed so much here in South Jersey this year that I don't think we will see grass again until May. Some snow has melted and we probably only have about 18 inches left on the ground. Coffee, hot chocolate, hot tea, and well any warm drink to keep us going.

I look forward to chatting with all of you.

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt