Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Welcome Lynne!  You'll find no shortage of female authors and well-realized female characters here :smileyhappy:  This month we're reading Alice Munro's story collection Runaway and next month we will read Assia Djebar's Children of the New World.

Lynne_LaRochelle wrote:

Hi - My name is Lynne.  I tend to favor female authors because I appreciate a well-drawn female character.  A reading group would be nice for me because I sometimes miss sub-text and would like to train that part of my mind.  My brain is pretty analytical in other areas (I'm a chemist and former teacher) but I tend to take fiction at face value, missing a world of meaning I've been told!  Plus, it's just darn nice to discuss books with people who read!

My other interests are dogs, hiking/backpacking, yoga, crafts in general, and knitting in particular.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

Well I already 'belong' to a couple of groups here, so I though Literature by Women is something I should check out. I am a 20 something girl, who is stuck in MN.. I love to read. it's my biggest passion. I like romances, funny comical stuff, true life, pretty much anything but horror and gross stuff... since I am a big chicken!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Wheeze :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
New User
MMernin86
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Mandi. I am a registered nurse and I just recently got married. My husband works 5 days a week so reading helps the time pass by. I love to read, but sometimes find it difficult to find the right book for me.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Mandi :smileyhappy:  We just finished Alice Munro's Runaway and are starting Assia Djebar's Children of the New World.

MMernin86 wrote:

Hi, I am Mandi. I am a registered nurse and I just recently got married. My husband works 5 days a week so reading helps the time pass by. I love to read, but sometimes find it difficult to find the right book for me.

Melissa W.
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Arvie. 

Ive been in BN for almost a year and so I've been around. I'm mostly in Teen Reads and Writing Room.

I'm a homeschooled student. I'm 14. I love to read and have been posting some of my writings in here. I really like this site.

Mystery is one of my favorite genres. :smileyhappy:

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Arvie :smileyhappy:  Glad to have you with us!

_mOonSeeKer_ wrote:

Hi, I'm Arvie. 

Ive been in BN for almost a year and so I've been around. I'm mostly in Teen Reads and Writing Room.

I'm a homeschooled student. I'm 14. I love to read and have been posting some of my writings in here. I really like this site.

Mystery is one of my favorite genres. :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Winifred Holtby

I didn't know where to put this since this board's Message button isn't working, so I'm placing it here in hopes that somebody in charge will know how to get it into a separate topic mode if possible.

I heard a while back that the BBC (responsible for a lot of Masterpiece Theater offerings) will possibly be remaking Winifred Holtby's South Riding.  If that proves to be the case, would it be possible for us to study it in, say, fall of this year or early winter of next?

Just want to know.

Redcatlady

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Winifred Holtby

RCL -- Thanks for the heads up.  I don't know this author or book at all. 

South Riding  by Winifred Holtby  (no picture available)

Redcatlady wrote:

I didn't know where to put this since this board's Message button isn't working, so I'm placing it here in hopes that somebody in charge will know how to get it into a separate topic mode if possible.

I heard a while back that the BBC (responsible for a lot of Masterpiece Theater offerings) will possibly be remaking Winifred Holtby's South Riding.  If that proves to be the case, would it be possible for us to study it in, say, fall of this year or early winter of next?

Just want to know.

Redcatlady

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Re: Winifred Holtby

I just checked the Book Nook thread and it's not closed so you should've been able to reply there.

Keep the Holtby in mind for our next round of nominations/voting. :smileyhappy:

Redcatlady wrote:

Just want to know.

Redcatlady

Melissa W.
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

July book

I've been away a few months, not sure where to post this. I was able to log in successfully for change.  :smileyhappy: Are we still scheduled for Bel Canto this month? I've begun to re-read it.

Has voting for Sept+ already taken place?

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Book nook

I haven't posted at the Book Nook, but there are no entries there since April,  which is strange.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Re: July book

foxycat wrote:

I've been away a few months, not sure where to post this. I was able to log in successfully for change.  :smileyhappy: Are we still scheduled for Bel Canto this month? I've begun to re-read it.

Has voting for Sept+ already taken place?

We'll probably do a vote at the end of July and, yes, we are still scheduled for Bel Canto.

The "Book Nook" thread is the catch-all thread - people post off-topic stuff there as necessary.

Melissa W.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

I've just finished Bel Canto. Quite an unusual book! Could easily become  a theater play or a movie.

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

No, I don't want to see the writers changing anything in a screenplay. It's rare that they leave everything as is, since the mediums are different.

Too long to be a stageplay.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS

"Bel Canto" is one of my all-time favorites...  an elegant salute to art and beauty, but also a suble, sly comedy of manners.

I see it as an indie film showcased in art-house theaters and Sundance/Tribeca-like Film Festivals...

But no, I don't see it as a mainstream blockbuster in multi-plexes.

It'll be an interesting book to discuss... so much meat on them there bones.

chadadanielleKR wrote:

I've just finished Bel Canto. Quite an unusual book! Could easily become  a theater play or a movie.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
willvoya
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Danielle and I am 23 years old. I currently reside in Atlanta, GA. I have been an active reader since the 8th grade. All I did was read which many of peers thought odd at the time, but it turned out to be an excellent escape for me. It all started with Harry Potter for me. At a volunteer training that I recently attended and a woman suggested that I do things that I like. Since "I love to read"  is one of the first things I say when people ask me about my interests, she suggested a book club. This is really different from what I expected but I am very excited!!!

Danielle♥

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light"
– Albus Dumbledore
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Danielle :smileyhappy:  We are just starting Ann Patchett's Bel Canto.

willvoya wrote:

Hi! My name is Danielle and I am 23 years old. I currently reside in Atlanta, GA. I have been an active reader since the 8th grade. All I did was read which many of peers thought odd at the time, but it turned out to be an excellent escape for me. It all started with Harry Potter for me. At a volunteer training that I recently attended and a woman suggested that I do things that I like. Since "I love to read"  is one of the first things I say when people ask me about my interests, she suggested a book club. This is really different from what I expected but I am very excited!!!

Danielle♥

Melissa W.
Contributor
MissJoMay
0 Kudos

My name is Jo; I've been posting some on the Classics board and then was lured over here when I saw on Melissa's blog that you guys were reading Bel Canto.  I love the novel and have decided to read it again, even though I have about 10,000 other books that I need to read!

I have taught 10th and 12th grade English for the last five years in Tennessee, but I just recently moved to Minnesota to try to find a teaching job up here.  I was in a book club in Tennessee, so I'm hoping this online book club will help fill that gap a bit.  I'm excited to be a part of this community!

Jo
"I cannot live without books." -- Thomas Jefferson
bookreadingbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JoMay -- Welcome!

Good luck on finding a teaching job in Minnesota.  Are you in the Twin Cities area?  I once lived there -- the winters can be bitter, but the summers and the lakes and the theatre were wonderful.  Much of the other living -- restaurants, communities, ambiance, shopping, educational opportunities, ...., was good, too.  Sorry, however, the friends I left behind weren't particularly readers, so I can't suggest a book group.   (We would rather ride horses out along the St. Croix or trout fish on the streams off Lake Superior or ski what I once considered challenging slopes.)

I believe several of us are re-reading Bel Canto.  I was startled at the quality of the Spark Notes available, but I do believe that it is on many student reading lists these days.  Have you taught it?  Proquest yielded a number of reviews and commentaries.  I think I like it better upon re-reading, although I enjoyed it the first time around.  Hopefully, this time I will better understand the union of Roxane and Gen.

These recent posts in the Community Room may interest you:

Finding a book club in a new location

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy