Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

[ Edited ]

So we should follow Lewis Carroll's instructions, but you don't have to state your name and business.  Feel free to introduce yourselves on here, especially if you're new to this board :smileyhappy:

I'm the reader-moderator, Melissa W., so you can direct any questions about "Literature by Women" to me via PM.  I'm a research assistant in Hospital Epidemiology by trade and I flog books at my local B&N to support my book habit.  I live with my two spoiled cats, Chaucer and Dante, in Iowa.

Message Edited by Maria_H on 03-03-2009 08:20 AM
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hi.  My name is Laura.  I live on the south coast of Maine.  You can read more about me in my profile.

I have completed Death Comes to the Archbishp, but still have 80 pages to go in The Mysteries of Udolpho.  LOL!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello - I am Choisya from Over The Pond.  I am 76 today and live 20 miles north of London with my elderly black cat, Cleo, and a couple of weekday lodgers whom I rarely see:smileyhappy:.  I look forward to joining y'all in this read. 

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-02-2009 11:43 AM
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Happy Birthday C!!! I hope you get your birthday wish.

I am Deb from upstate NY. I live with my 2 spoiled pups Max and Scout, whom I adore and worship.  I've started Death but am also finishing up Silas Marner. My reading is very slow lately. Perhaps my brain is frozen from all the cold weather,lol.

Choisya wrote:
Hello - I am Choisya from Over The Pond.  I am 76 today and live with my elderly black cat, Cleo, and a couple of weekday lodgers whom I rarely see:smileyhappy:.  I look forward to joining y'all in this read.   

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Happy Birthday Choisya!  Have a wonderful day! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Hello - I am Choisya from Over The Pond.  I am 76 today and live 20 miles north of London with my elderly black cat, Cleo, and a couple of weekday lodgers whom I rarely see:smileyhappy:.  I look forward to joining y'all in this read. 

A very happy birthday to you!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Happy Birthday, Choisya!!!  Are you doing anything special today to celebrate?

My name is Denise, and I respond to that as well as my screen name Dulcinea, Dulcie, or whatever you want to call me, as long as I know it's me.  I've been around here for a bit over a year, after taking a hiatus after the demise of the much-mourned BNU.  I'm a computer programmer, and I live in Massachusetts with my two young cats, Romeo and (Kublai) Khan, who give me lots of love and laughter.  I've been reading since I taught myself when I was three, and have more books than fit in my condo, so I have a large overflow at my parents' house, as well.  My favorite genres are mystery and classics, especially British 19th-century.  In college, I was a Spanish major (managed to fit in British lit classes, too!) and studied for my MA in Madrid; hence, the screen name.  I also like to scrapbook and play with oracles like Tarot (the classes in both those subjects are what I miss most about BNU).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Rochelle, and I live in NYS with my cat Sneakers, who lets me share her apartment. Home repair is my main business, with computer repair on the side. And I haven't bought the book yet because we just had 10 inches of snow with more to come tonight. I just finished Possession, which was done here about two years ago. The last book I did with Melissa was Rebecca.

Happy Birthday, Choisya!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Happy birthday Choisya, wish you all the best  and a new year full of interesting posts on the B&N boards.

I'm Danielle from France. I've completed reading "Death...", I am currently reading  "Sag Harbor" and teaching myself Russian! Everything else can be found under my name. I'll try to contribute as much as possible to the general conversation.

I have just seen snow on the East Coast on the news, tonight: amazing. Good luck to everyone living down there, keep warm.

Danielle

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Choisya -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  May this be the first day of a delightful year!

Hi, all!  Am looking forward to exploring Cather once again on these boards.  Only copy available in the local library was the large print version, so we shall see what that experience is like.  While I like listening to books to take the stress off excessive reading, I have only once or twice before picked up a "large print"version.

I live in New Jersey, so my snow-drops are covered with a hopefully insulating layer of soft snow today.  I am a technical and business type by training, so the opportunity to explore literature on these boards is great fun.  Although my handle is Peppermill (first used in CB radio days as a "sugar and spice" with a bit of bite response to over-the-road-drivers' slang), I use "Pepper" if I sign my posts. 

(We used to carry a peppermill, even in our ski lunch baskets.  Still today, all pepper in this house is freshly ground.  So, if that sometimes overflows into my comments, ...!)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Ryan.  I'm 32 year old living in Wichita, KS.  I'm a Leo, love Scrabble, dogs, tea, and long walks on the beach.  I'm currently thinking about writing a story about the Rolly Pollys.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your good wishes everyone!  
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

I live in New Jersey, so my snow-drops are covered with a hopefully insulating layer of soft snow today.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Poor little things never had a chance.  White little faces frozen in the prime of life.  I've shoveled out the car, going back to work today. Maybe I can stop at the library tonight.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Frequent Contributor
WinterLady
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hi everyone!  I've been around since the beginning of this year.  I love books and decided to vary my reading diet by reading more classics.   I've started Death Comes for the Archbishop last weekend.  I have a big sleepy dog and two occassionally-bickering parakeets.  We've been discussing adding another dog or maybe a cat.
Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

Hello, everyone, and happy birthday, C!

I'm AJ and I pop in and out, depending on greater life stresses and what the selection is.  I wish I'd remembered March was Cather - I would've dropped in earlier!  I'm 29, live in the Twin Cities, and have the requisitive feline resident (lol).  I work in a bank these days, and am dreaming of working at B&N fulltime.

I've been reading to escape for as long as I can remember, majored in literature, and can still disappear into a good book for hours at a time.

~ Happiness is a good book, a sleeping cat, and a glass of wine. ~
Distinguished Correspondent
simple_girl

I saw that you would be discussing Emma and couldn't resist joining in. I am a recent college graduate (B.S. in Econ) from the west. I just got accepted into the Americorps and will be helping kids in poverty get money to go to college. I am also preparing for the GRE so I can go to graduate school next fall. Jane Austen is one of my favorite, if not favorite, authors and I am excited to discuss one of her novels with all of you.
"It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do or fail to do."
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, simple_girl!  Grab a book, put your feet up, and jump right in :smileyhappy:

simple_girl wrote:
I saw that you would be discussing Emma and couldn't resist joining in. I am a recent college graduate (B.S. in Econ) from the west. I just got accepted into the Americorps and will be helping kids in poverty get money to go to college. I am also preparing for the GRE so I can go to graduate school next fall. Jane Austen is one of my favorite, if not favorite, authors and I am excited to discuss one of her novels with all of you.

Melissa W.
Reader
magnet
0 Kudos

Bonjour everyone. They call me Beatrice, Lois, or Cher, depending where you catch me at the moment. I read Huck Finn with a Barnes and Noble group a few years ago, and loved every moment. If you really want to get something from a book, join the B & N reading group and you will not be disappointed.

Good to see you again, Choisya. I think I met you on Greatwriting.UK if you are the same person. Happy Birthday, and many more.

I have been writing mostly this past while since writing is what I really would like to improve at, and so reading is quite necessary to become a good writer. Can't wait to delve into Emma. Love Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronté, Charles Dickens, etc.

I will be going to London at the end of May for a short, much needed vacation. Would love to meet you, Choisya.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Beatrice/Lois/Cher :smileyhappy:  Feel free to jump in anytime. 

magnet wrote:

Bonjour everyone. They call me Beatrice, Lois, or Cher, depending where you catch me at the moment. I read Huck Finn with a Barnes and Noble group a few years ago, and loved every moment. If you really want to get something from a book, join the B & N reading group and you will not be disappointed.

Good to see you again, Choisya. I think I met you on Greatwriting.UK if you are the same person. Happy Birthday, and many more.

I have been writing mostly this past while since writing is what I really would like to improve at, and so reading is quite necessary to become a good writer. Can't wait to delve into Emma. Love Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronté, Charles Dickens, etc.

I will be going to London at the end of May for a short, much needed vacation. Would love to meet you, Choisya.

Melissa W.
Contributor
SusanHG
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

My name is Susan and I am a full-time mom from upstate NY.  I am coming over from Classics, but still immersed in reading Little Dorrit.  I would love to join in for Wives and Daughters and will start reading as soon as I can.  I have never read it, but it has been on my list to be read.  I have also tried to locate the film by Andrew Davies in our public library system. I think someone mentioned Netflix, so maybe we'll join.  I am usually a sporadic contributor to the book clubs depending on how busy I am with my family, so please bear with me.

I love literature and hope to be surrounded by it in a career someday. I studied English at university and will be returning to graduate school in the Fall to finish. Barnes and Noble Book Clubs definitely keep me going!