Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Mellovesreading
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Say "How do you do?" and shake hands!

Hi everyone!

I have been trying to figure out this system for months now, but did not ask for help.  So, I see you are finishing up a book, and will be starting a new one soon?  How do I get in on this group fully?  It seems like September's book would interest me and if I could get a step by step process so I can join you ladies in literature heaven, I would greatly appreciate it.  When do I start reading, does september's book come in ebook form since I have a nook?  And when (dates and times) do we discuss the book. 

I am currently a stay at home mom to 3 spoiled babies (dogs lol :smileytongue:)  and work part time as an Avon Represenative.  My husband and I recently moved far away after graduating from college and he currently has a very demanding job that he works long hours and many days a week at, so.....I need something to do for fun!

Thanks for your help, look forward to hearing from you all and excited to start reading!

Melissa

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Actually, you are most of the way there already! :smileyhappy:  We don't have formal registration for books so people can come and go as they please.  I'll be posting the new threads for Purge over the weekend - just reply to a thread to add your thoughts or responses.  The book clubs operate 24/7 so you can hop on whenever you like.

Purge is also currently availalbe in ebook since you have a nook.

Purge 

Welcome :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Flyweight
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone,

I just found out about this particular forum tonight, downloaded Purge and over the past few hours have finished through Part 2 of this fascinating book!

This looks like a terrific group and I'm looking forward to all the discussions.

I bought a Nook early last month and have been going crazy downloading all sorts of books.

Thanks so much for choosing a Nook-friendly book!

Cheers.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Flyweight wrote:

Hi, Everyone,

I just found out about this particular forum tonight, downloaded Purge and over the past few hours have finished through Part 2 of this fascinating book!

This looks like a terrific group and I'm looking forward to all the discussions.

I bought a Nook early last month and have been going crazy downloading all sorts of books.

Cheers.

WELCOME!  Glad you are enjoying your Nook!  Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Flyweight! :smileyhappy:  You're caught up with the reading, so post away.  Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Flyweight wrote:

Hi, Everyone,

Cheers.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
New User
cutesytee
0 Kudos

Well, hello there!

My name is Tara, and I just got the Nook app on my droid yesterday for a book I need to do for one of my uni classes and thus: instant BN addict once again. As a poor college kid I have been avoiding reading and going to BN because it just makes me really sad when I can't buy a book and read it! But, the free ebook section is love, LOVE I TELL YOU! Plus, I decided to join this book club to support my sanity.

Let's see. I do roller derby, go to University and work part time. I have very little time for myself, but when I do I make plushies, duct tape purses or just zone out in front of the TV. I'm a GleeK too :] I get paid on Friday and will be getting Purge then.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Tara!  Purge reads quickly for what seems like a longer book.  Next month we are reading Orlando so you should be able to find a copy at your uni library if needed :smileyhappy:

And GLEE is awesome :smileyhappy:

cutesytee wrote:

Well, hello there!

My name is Tara, and I just got the Nook app on my droid yesterday for a book I need to do for one of my uni classes and thus: instant BN addict once again. As a poor college kid I have been avoiding reading and going to BN because it just makes me really sad when I can't buy a book and read it! But, the free ebook section is love, LOVE I TELL YOU! Plus, I decided to join this book club to support my sanity.

Let's see. I do roller derby, go to University and work part time. I have very little time for myself, but when I do I make plushies, duct tape purses or just zone out in front of the TV. I'm a GleeK too :] I get paid on Friday and will be getting Purge then.

Melissa W.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi Melissa! 

I've decided to wander back to this end of town.  It's been two years since the Green Knight! I see next months read is going to be VW's Orlando.  I told Laura, on the fiction board, that I would give it a go. I see a lot of new faces, too!  That should be fun.

Looking forward to seeing you, Melissa, and everyone, again. 

Kathy

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Yay!  Good to see you back again, kathy :smileyhappy:

KathyS wrote:

Hi Melissa! 

I've decided to wander back to this end of town.  It's been two years since the Green Knight! I see next months read is going to be VW's Orlando.  I told Laura, on the fiction board, that I would give it a go. I see a lot of new faces, too!  That should be fun.

Kathy

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Hi Melissa! 

Kathy

Welcome back, Kathy!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
KathyS

Fozzie wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Hi Melissa! 

Kathy

Welcome back, Kathy!

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to a captive audience!  Clown Clip Art

No telling what Virginia will whisper in our ears!

Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.  I live in Texas and I am glad I found the Literature in Women board.  I have seen the schedule and will be joining everyone in October for VW's Orlando.  Can't wait to start the discussion with everyone. 

:smileyhappy:
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

1archi1 wrote:

Hello everyone.  I live in Texas and I am glad I found the Literature in Women board.  I have seen the schedule and will be joining everyone in October for VW's Orlando.  Can't wait to start the discussion with everyone. 

Welcome, Archi! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
New User
hannahgage
0 Kudos

How do you do?

Greetings and Salutations!

It was the best of times ...

Ok, yeah yeah.

I'd love to join your group. I've been looking for a more structured reading program. Generally I just buy whichever books sound interesting and read them when they seem ready. Currently I'm reading a few "new fiction" books:

Juliet - by Anne Fortier

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Mrs Dalloway - by Virginia Woolf

One of the True Blood books, #3 or #4 - by Charlaine Harris

It's a light reading month. I've been reading "easy and fun" books because I'm raising a litter of whippet puppies. I have a litter of 10 puppies, 7 weeks old, and they are absolutely precious but require a lot of care. I work at home as a web designer, as does my husband, Derek, We have five adult whippets so our lives revolve around the dogs.

I'd love to participate, should I start January's book? How do you normally approach starting in the group?

Warmly,

Hannah G.

South Carolina

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Welcome, Hannah!  I hope you do join us in January - we're reading Shirley by Charlotte Bronte, and I'm really looking forward to it!  I've never read it before.  You could take a look at how the threads are set up for this month's book to see how the discussions are structured.  You can read at your own pace and post in whatever section you've read.  We won't know until Melissa posts the new threads how she's going to break up Shirley, but personally I usually like to start reading up to a week before the month starts, so that I will be able to discuss the first week's section fairly soon once it starts.  I'll probably start next week.

Your dogs sound great!  They must be quite a handful!  I have two cats, and they're active enough to keep me pretty busy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Hannah!  We're pretty informal around here so come and go, read and post as you want :smileyhappy:  I will try to have the schedule up for Shirley sooner rather than later - I realized (rather belatedly) that I accidentally packed my copy of Shirley when I was packing up my books for my move at the end of the month.  So I will have to make do with a Google version in the meantime.

I usually try to break the book up into logical chunks, based on the structure of the book, and if that fails because there's no chapter numbers, etc., then I try to break it into equal chunks.  One chunk per week for 4 weeks.

Melissa W.
Peppermill
0 Kudos

hannahgage wrote:

How do you do?

Greetings and Salutations!

It was the best of times ...

Ok, yeah yeah.

I'd love to join your group. I've been looking for a more structured reading program. Generally I just buy whichever books sound interesting and read them when they seem ready. Currently I'm reading a few "new fiction" books:

Juliet - by Anne Fortier

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Mrs Dalloway - by Virginia Woolf

One of the True Blood books, #3 or #4 - by Charlaine Harris

It's a light reading month. I've been reading "easy and fun" books because I'm raising a litter of whippet puppies. I have a litter of 10 puppies, 7 weeks old, and they are absolutely precious but require a lot of care. I work at home as a web designer, as does my husband, Derek, We have five adult whippets so our lives revolve around the dogs.

I'd love to participate, should I start January's book? How do you normally approach starting in the group?

Warmly,

Hannah G.

South Carolina

Welcome and happy holidays, Hannah!

The whippets sound fun and exciting!  It always seems to me that animals require a lot of dedication --  I grew up around them and know that their schedules dictated my parents' lives -- which is probably why I keep and care for none today, although I know I would enjoy their companionship.

Hope you have pictures somewhere on the net that you can share with us.

Sounds to me as if Melissa and Dulcinea have pretty much laid out how this board works.  We have a few "regulars" who show up for most books -- one of the nice things about on-line is that participants can pick and choose, but like most book clubs, it is fun when as many as possible chip in -- often those least likely to choose a book may offer some of the best insights. We are international in scope, so don't be surprised with where ever someone lives. That is certainly part of the enjoyment of an online group!

Again, WELCOME and a blessed season for you and yours.  Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Correspondent
zaphiragirl
0 Kudos

Hello There Ladies, Angelica speaking...[well writting]

Ok so I'm senior year student, I love to write and read as much as I love to breathe. I'm currently reading The Messenger by Lois Lowry as an ap-english  requierement. I own two blogs, a christian one and a bilingual one on which I post reviews of books and authors, my own little short stories and thoughts.

I also love to bake, dance, watch Tv and of course Facebook, looking foward into reading more women's literature. I also am a frustrated feminist  :smileywink: and deeply in love with doggies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
God Bless and Happy Reading!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Hi, Angelica!

Hope you will join us for the discussion of Shirley next month.  I suspect it will touch some of those feminist issues with which we must all deal.

Pepper

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Angelica! :smileyhappy:  We'll be starting Shirley in the new year - and we'll be voting for a new schedule again soon.  Time flies!

Melissa W.