Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

It's NOMINATIONS time! Spring 2011

It's that time again!  A new reading schedule for the next 5-6 months (starting in March) is needed so I need nominations.  Please send me your list of nominations by Private Message (PM) by February 7 (in the am).

For all the newbies, the way I set the schedue for LbW is a little different from the other groups.  I collect nominations for a week (you can nominate as many titles as you wish), I make a ballot of the most popular/likely titles, and then everyone votes for their favorite four from that ballot.  I usually wind up with a tie for last place, hence the 5-6 months since I decided that having to choose was sometimes impossible.

As far as books that are eligible, we don't have too much in the way of strictures.  Most of the books we've read fall into the "literary" or "classic" category (with I think only one non-fiction foray).  In the past, people have asked for guidance when nominating titles.  I did a short piece a while back that outlines my thoughts (since I have to read everything on the schedule).  Here, also, is a link to our past discussions/schedule list - I don't actively discourage people from nominating previously-discussed books, particularly as we get new participants, but I don't want to keep revisiting the same books/authors repetitively.

So put those thinking caps on! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Oops, forgot one thing

Please talk up your nominations, toss ideas around, etc. on this thread.  It helps when I go to make the cut to see which books are getting a little extra play. :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Re: It's NOMINATIONS time! Spring 2011

I've sent in my nominations, and here is my list:

Looking over the past selections, I see a few authors that I'd like to get back to.

Anne Bronte, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.  We last read Anne in 2008, and this is her only other book.  Also, it is a bit more interesting than the autobiographical Agnes Grey; a possibly scandalous woman moves into the neighborhood!

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall 

We've done one Gaskell a year for the past two years, so how about another?  To continue with the novels that the miniseries were made from, my first choice would be Cranford (although the miniseries was based on this and an additional two books, so this is not the whole story we are familiar with).  I'd be open for any other suggestions from others; there is a lot to choose from.

Cranford 

We last read du Maurier in 2008, too, and she has plenty to choose from also.  I know that Pepper is reading Jamaica Inn for a literary retreat this weekend, so maybe she would be up for a discussion here, too.  Alternatively, My Cousin Rachel or Frenchman's Creek.

Jamaica Inn 

My Cousin Rachel  

Frenchman's Creek    

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Wordsmith
Fozzie

I'm thinking of nominating:

Half of a Yellow Sun 

The Master Butchers Singing Club  

Gone with the Wind  

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

I'd love to revisit Cranford!  it's one of those books you can never get enough of.  Same with Country of the Pointed Firs, another book I'd be interested in reading for Spring.

Redcatlady

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Some good ideas are already up, so I will reflect a few days before deciding whether to nominate something additional.  I would like to browse my bookcase for what is already there that is on my TBR.

These are possibilities;

A Writer's Britain  by Margaret Drabble.  I own this book and am considering a trip that focuses on the Britain of writers, so am very interested in getting it read.  It seems to be an excellent background book reading the works of English writers.  Also, Dame Drabble is someone we have not read here yet, even though she is one of the editors of an Oxford guide to British literature and a novelist/literary critic.

Baby No Eyes  by Patricia Grace

Tu  by Patricia Grace These may be difficult to obtain, but I don't understand if they are.  The following is from Ms. Grace's bio on the Neustadt Prize site:

"New Zealand author Patricia Grace, the twentieth laureate of the Neustadt International Prize for Literature, has been writing and publishing since the mid-1970s. Grace’s published work includes six novels, five short-story collections, and several books for children. Baby No-Eyes, her fourth novel, was the representative text read by this year’s Neustadt Prize jury. Joy Harjo, who nominated Grace for the Neustadt award, notes that Grace is “an essential and key figure in the emergence of a unique Maori fiction,” describing her work as a “brilliant weave of Maori oral storytelling contained within the more contemporary Western literary forms of the novel and short story.” Grace’s previous awards include the New Zealand Fiction Award in 1987 and the Frankfurt Liberaturepreis in 1994 for her novel Potiki, which has been translated into several languages. She received the Hubert Church Prose Award for Best First Book for Waiariki in 1976. Dogside Story won the Kiriyama Pacific Rim Fiction Prize in 2001 and was also long-listed for the Booker Prize. Her novel Tu was awarded the Deutz Medal for fiction at the Montana New Zealand Book Awards in 2005. Grace was born in Wellington, New Zealand, and now lives on the ancestral land of her father’s people in Plimmerton, a small coastal community. She and her husband, Waiariki Grace, have raised seven children. A special section of the May 2009 issue of World Literature Today will be devoted to her life and work."

http://www.ou.edu/worldlit/neustadt.htm  [Ibis (Assia Djebar - 1996) and a class on Postmodern Literature (Nuruddin Farah - 1998)  introduced me to these awards.]

Place of Greater Safety  by Hilary Mantel.  I started this with the library copy, decided to buy my own when I needed to return it, and still haven't carved out the time to read it.  I loved the humor as far as I got.  It deals with the French Revolution, a period of history about which I know little, but closely linked with our own U.S. battles for freedom.  As far as I have read, I think I would find it a better read that Wolf Hall, which I listened to and enjoyed.  (I know others who were disappointed, despite its winning the Man Booker.)

Moo  by Jane Smiley 

I am no Jane Smiley fan (Thousand Acres turned me off on her.), but I picked up a copy of this on a library used books stand and would be interested in cracking the cover. 

Villette (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  by Charlotte Bronte

This also sits on my bookshelf, waiting for a time that I get around to reading it.

Uncle Tom's Cabin (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  by Harriet Beecher Stowe

There is a new participant on these boards who is very enthusiastic about reading this.  It has been years since I approached the story and I do have real reservations about it.  (Go look at its Wikipedia article.)  But, it might bring in a new member if we did it like in April.  I would consider it interesting to contrast with Beloved, which we did read.  (Yes, I know some find that an off-putting read, but it does deal with the depravity of the same subject, human slavery.)

That's what I'll put out there to chew on for a few days.  Send me a PM if you have a comment that you would like to share, but hesitate to put up on the board.  Otherwise, I shall look for your comments.  If any of these do interest you, do not depend on my nomination -- take the initiative.

As I said before, there are already some excellent choices in the hopper, so except probably for Drabble's A Writer's Britain and for something by Patricia Grace and for Place of Greater Safety, I am still mulling these myself.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
guitargirlHL
0 Kudos

Here are some suggestions:

EMMA BY JANE AUSTEN

ANNE OF GREEN GABLES BY L.M. MONTGOMERY

FRANKENSTEIN, OR THE MODERN PROMETHEUS BY MARY SHELLEY

JACOB'S ROOM BY VIRGINIA WOOLF

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE BY JANE AUSTEN

SILAS MARNER BY GEORGE ELIOT

THE TENANT OF WILDFELL HALL ANNE BRONTE

REBECCA BY DAPHINE DU MAURIER

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

(Sorry, I'm really clumsy with that 'Add Product' tool....)

Elaine

Half Broke Horses

Arcadia Falls

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Contributor
Nitengale317

I just found this forum and am so excited...

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Their Eyes Were Watching God (Zora Neale Hurston)...anything by her would be wonderful.

Louisa May Alcott...beyond the little women/little men series.

Diaries of Mary Chestnut or Sarah Morgan...(Civil War Ladies)

More recent/current authors...Fannie Flagg, Elizabeth Berg. Lighter than some of the more "literary" authors but 2 that I really love. Women writing about women in life, death, love  and almost every thing in between.  

Wordsmith
BookWoman718

How about something from one of our fabulous writers of mysteries that are also literature?  I'm thinking of either Elizabeth George or Donna Leon, for example.

And, apart from mysteries, another great modern writer who is totally underappreciated:  Lynne Sharon Schwartz.  I get truly excited when I see a new title from her, and I discovered her twenty years ago when she was recommended in an NYU fiction writing class. 

Any of these would be a treat for the moderator to read, by the way. 

I have to add that I do get tired of reading and re-reading the classics, written in the day when to speak of a woman's independence or sexuality was scandalous.   We've fought that battle and won it.  I am impatient and ultimately annoyed at the books in which women who dared to cross the line come inevitably to a bad end.  In my heart, I do believe there were some 'sinners' who lived to enjoy the experience! 

Distinguished Correspondent
zaphiragirl
0 Kudos

I don't really have any time to make my nominations nor I think I'll be able to join most of them...but I did perused over some of the titles some of you nominated...of all...-which most seemed really interesting- I loved the idea of joining  Gone With the Wind and Pride and Prejudice to our dicussion list for this year...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
God Bless and Happy Reading!
Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

Here's another idea. I absolutely loved Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. How about her next book: 

A Secret Kept

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Nitengale317 wrote:

I just found this forum and am so excited...

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Their Eyes Were Watching God (Zora Neale Hurston)...anything by her would be wonderful.

Louisa May Alcott...beyond the little women/little men series.

Diaries of Mary Chestnut or Sarah Morgan...(Civil War Ladies)

More recent/current authors...Fannie Flagg, Elizabeth Berg. Lighter than some of the more "literary" authors but 2 that I really love. Women writing about women in life, death, love  and almost every thing in between.  

For a book by Louisa May Alcott other than the Little Women books, I would suggest Eight Cousins.  That was the first book I ever read by her; my mother had it from when she was a girl.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Reminder! PM me nominations

Just a reminder: if you have NOT sent me your nominations by PM then I will not consider them when I made the cut for the ballot.

Cheers :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.