Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch

LOL. We have been alternating between very hot days and very cold ones - I call it fur-coat-and bikini-weather:smileyvery-happy:

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:
It has been raining heavily so I am back indoors:smileysurprised:

Then we'll be like the old man and woman in the clock; it's a lovely day here and I'm about to go outside to work in the garden.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch : Where is everyone?

[ Edited ]
Are folks still reading Possession or have they given up? The weather is still very wet here so I have been reading non-stop. I finished Possession a couple of days ago and am now deep into post-war British political history:smileyhappy:.

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-31-200710:19 PM

Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Are folks still reading Possession or have they given up? The weather is still very wet here so I have been reading non-stop. I finished Possession a couple of days ago and am now deep into post-war British political history:smileyhappy:.

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-31-200710:19 PM

I'm still reading, Choisya, but very slowly. I'm on Chapter 12, and I haven't had much time to sit down and post my thoughts, which happen to be in a whirl and need some sorting out. I'll catch up though. I hope their are others still with us.:smileyhappy:
New User
phatrose
0 Kudos

Hello!

I read Possession about 14 years ago, but it has remained one of my favorite books! I also love the movie. My only regret is that I didn't get to really participate in this discussion. Just reading your comments and enjoying the links has been wonderful. I want to add a story here (superficial) and to encourage you all to visit St. Paul's within the Walls American Episcopal Church when you are back in Italy.

I bought a hard cover copy of the book on a sale table in one of our local bookstores. The book jacket attracted me, but I put it away for over a year. When I began living and traveling in other countries I would pick up a stack of books that hadn't been read to keep me company on flights, trains, ships and public transportation. Possession was calling me. I lived in Rome for many years and attended St. Paul's within the Walls. I knew that the book jacket reproduction was of "The Beguiling of Merlin" by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and that I had seen other works by him. One Sunday morning during the Worship Service, it dawned on me that all the Mosaics that I loved there in the Church were like Burne-Jones. They ARE by Burne-Jones as well as some other art work in the Church and that made that book even more special. It is hard for me to see the book with other covers because I believe that the Burne-Jones cover is more representative of the story.

The Burnes-Jones mosaics are incredibly beautiful as are all of the mosaics in Rome. The statues in the the garden are by Peter Rockwell - the son of American Painter Norman Rockwell. Visit if you have time.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch : Burne Jones.

[ Edited ]
Hi phatrose and welcome to the discussion, which has only just begun so you are welcome to participate. I will be visiting Milan but not Rome when I go to Italy in September. I will mainly be roaming the Italianate gardens around Lake Como. As an atheist, churches are not my first port of call:smileyhappy: but I will bear what you say in mind if I visit Rome again. The largest Burne-Jones collection is in the town of his birth, Birmingham UK so if you are ever over here, do go to the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery there.

phatrose wrote:
Hello!

I read Possession about 14 years ago, but it has remained one of my favorite books! I also love the movie. My only regret is that I didn't get to really participate in this discussion. Just reading your comments and enjoying the links has been wonderful. I want to add a story here (superficial) and to encourage you all to visit St. Paul's within the Walls American Episcopal Church when you are back in Italy.

I bought a hard cover copy of the book on a sale table in one of our local bookstores. The book jacket attracted me, but I put it away for over a year. When I began living and traveling in other countries I would pick up a stack of books that hadn't been read to keep me company on flights, trains, ships and public transportation. Possession was calling me. I lived in Rome for many years and attended St. Paul's within the Walls. I knew that the book jacket reproduction was of "The Beguiling of Merlin" by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and that I had seen other works by him. One Sunday morning during the Worship Service, it dawned on me that all the Mosaics that I loved there in the Church were like Burne-Jones. They ARE by Burne-Jones as well as some other art work in the Church and that made that book even more special. It is hard for me to see the book with other covers because I believe that the Burne-Jones cover is more representative of the story.

The Burnes-Jones mosaics are incredibly beautiful as are all of the mosaics in Rome. The statues in the the garden are by Peter Rockwell - the son of American Painter Norman Rockwell. Visit if you have time.

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-02-200702:44 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch : Highly Recommended folks!

[ Edited ]
Following Everyman's recommendation of the book/play/film 84 Charing Cross Road, I hired the DVD and have just spent an absolutely delightful afternoon watching it, alternately laughing and crying! It is not only a book-lover's dream because the action takes place around an antiquarian bookshop in London and a purchaser of antiquarian books in New York but because it captures the atmosphere of post-war London until the 1960s so very well - the streets, the cars, the house interiors, the clothes, the food. I cannot say whether or not the New York scenes are as authentic as the British ones but I suspect they are because of the attention paid to detail by the director, David Hugh Jones.

The joy the staff of the bookshop had when Helene Hanff (Ann Bancroft) sent them 'food parcels' to supplement their rations, the joy she had when she received the parcels of rare books which Frank Doel (Anthony Hopkins)sent to her is really heart-warming. Helene's little tantrums at the typewriter when she receives the wrong edition of a book and Derek's calm, very English manners when he receives her letters, make a delightful contrast between a rather uptight Englishman and an exuberant American woman; both very lovable. And she even makes an exemplary Yorkshire Pudding, which looked just like mine! Other performances by an excellent cast, including a young Judi Dench as Mrs Doel, are superb.

I think you would ALL enjoy this film very much indeed, even Everyman, who I know does not usually watch films made from books. I enjoyed the play when I saw it but enjoyed this little cameo of a film much more. I rarely say this but I think the film surpasses the book:smileysurprised: and would welcome other opinions about this.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=43396077621

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-04-200701:45 PM

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Following Everyman's recommendation of the book/play/film 84 Charing Cross Road, I hired the DVD.br>

I guess you've probably found this:

http://www.84charingcrossroad.co.uk/
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Yes thanks Laurel - I posted it when Everyman made the nomination:smileyhappy:.

Laurel wrote:

Choisya wrote:
Following Everyman's recommendation of the book/play/film 84 Charing Cross Road, I hired the DVD.br>

I guess you've probably found this:

http://www.84charingcrossroad.co.uk/

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-04-200703:06 PM

Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Following Everyman's recommendation of the book/play/film 84 Charing Cross Road, I hired the DVD and have just spent an absolutely delightful afternoon watching it, alternately laughing and crying!

I saw 84 Charing Cross Road many years ago on TV (I think it was before cable) and absolutely loved it. I have wanted to read the book ever since.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

CallMeLeo wrote:

Choisya wrote:
Following Everyman's recommendation of the book/play/film 84 Charing Cross Road, I hired the DVD and have just spent an absolutely delightful afternoon watching it, alternately laughing and crying!

I saw 84 Charing Cross Road many years ago on TV (I think it was before cable) and absolutely loved it. I have wanted to read the book ever since.

I saw it on TV a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I especially remember the tins of food. The DVD is tempting....
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have it on DVD :smileyhappy: and I was watching it when I read Choisya and Everyman's posts yesterday. Great minds think alike :smileyvery-happy:

Laurel wrote:

CallMeLeo wrote:

Choisya wrote:

I saw it on TV a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I especially remember the tins of food. The DVD is tempting....

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 06-04-200707:56 PM

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

SCARY!

pedsphleb wrote:
I have it on DVD :smileyhappy: and I was watching it when I read Choisya and Everyman's posts yesterday. Great minds think alike :smileyvery-happy:

Laurel wrote:

CallMeLeo wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 06-04-200707:56 PM

Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

I just placed a hold on it at my library. I can't wait until it comes in. It sounds like we will really enjoy it.
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffeeklatsch 2

A 2007 Roland type find, although the contents of this one were known before (handwritten note from Lincoln to his generals after Gettysburg):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19095440/
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:
A 2007 Roland type find, although the contents of this one were known before (handwritten note from Lincoln to his generals after Gettysburg):

This is great, Peppermill. It's amazing how one small note can change how we write history.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Interesting.

It's amazing how one small note can change how we write history.

I think this is one reason why we should pay attention to literary criticism, which some folks are apt to dismiss. Literary critics often make new appraisals of work after such documents have been found.

CallMeLeo wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

This is great, Peppermill. It's amazing how one small note can change how we write history.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I think this is one reason why we should pay attention to literary criticism, which some folks are apt to dismiss. Literary critics often make new appraisals of work after such documents have been found.

Absolutely we should look forward to such new information. Researchers and scholarship are continuously advancing (and sometimes advancing to the rear as we find that things we thought we knew become iffy), and new discoveries can help us understand texts and their times better and help us do a better job of making our own judgments on them.

It's particularly great when we can see new original documents and information, as we can in this case, and can judge for ourselves.
0 Kudos

Melissa: The Buccaneers thread where you posted this remark is closed, so I can't ask the question as a reply there.

You wrote "I have some issues about how the plot summaries for the book differ from the actual plot so that will definitely pop-up as a discussion question." What plot summaries are you referring to? I haven't gotten the book yet -- does she put in plot summaries as Milton does with Paradise Lost or some of the very old novels do? Or are these summaries from somewhere else, and if so where?
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

BN's plot summary is spot on. It's the summaries that are used at other booksellers and even the description of the miniseries (they make it sound like the five girls are all related :smileysurprised:). So we'll see once I get the miniseries watched.

And I didn't realize I'd locked the thread for the Buccaneers :smileysad:. I'll go fix it.

Everyman wrote:
Melissa: The Buccaneers thread where you posted this remark is closed, so I can't ask the question as a reply there.

You wrote "I have some issues about how the plot summaries for the book differ from the actual plot so that will definitely pop-up as a discussion question." What plot summaries are you referring to? I haven't gotten the book yet -- does she put in plot summaries as Milton does with Paradise Lost or some of the very old novels do? Or are these summaries from somewhere else, and if so where?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch

Melissa - I came across this quote in our local on-line "newspaper" and immediately thought of you!

" But even if all the experts don't agree, I'd still know what knitting does for me...when I knit, as when I write, I find myself in ecstatic participation in a divinely animated world." - Bernadette Murphy, Zen and the Art of Knitting