Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch : Reading Selections

[ Edited ]
I see that the Mary Wollstonecaft has been left off this list - I think it was scheduled for September. Does this mean you have dropped it? (Not that it bothers me, I am just enquiring.) And something was on the original list for August - was it Little Women?

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-18-2007 01:49 AM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

I haven't set the reading list yet for September through December. We'll vote on those at the end of July. Wuthering Heights was originally to take 3 weeks then Sense and Sensibility would start followed by Little Women.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm new here. Where is the reading list you're referring to?

Message Edited by foxycat on 06-20-2007 01:44 AM
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome foxycat!:smileyhappy: Click on Message Listings at the top or bottom of this page and then click on 2007 Selections. Go to the beginning of that thread and read forward to the current dates.

foxycat wrote:
I'm new here. Where is the reading list you're referring to?

Message Edited by foxycat on 06-20-2007 01:44 AM

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-20-2007 07:06 AM
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Thanks, found it. Maybe it should be floated to the top. It doesn't look like there's any conclusive for the rest of the summer. Are we still messaging to pedsphleb? And that brings me to the problem of reading these forums...

I think this is a good pace to discuss posting style. When posting, contributors are including as many as 5 layers of quotations of previous posts.:smileysad: This makes reading a forum very ungainly, and stretches each forum to huge sizes that have to be scrolled. :

I'd like to suggest that you edit your quotations with the simple delete key or whatever is most comfortable for you. Alternatively, you can just copy the sentence or paragraph that you're replying to, and paste it into the top of your post inside italics or lines. A few, like Everyman, are already doing this.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:
I think this is a good pace to discuss posting style. When posting, contributors are including as many as 5 layers of quotations of previous posts.:smileysad: This makes reading a forum very ungainly, and stretches each forum to huge sizes that have to be scrolled. :

I'd like to suggest that you edit your quotations with the simple delete key or whatever is most comfortable for you. Alternatively, you can just copy the sentence or paragraph that you're replying to, and paste it into the top of your post inside italics or lines.

Excellent suggestion! Some context is usually very helpful to understanding a post, but too much is a distraction, not a help!

If you're not sure you're editing a post properly, maybe fear you've deleted too much, you can always use the Preview Post option to see how your message will look when you hit the Submit Post button.
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch : Reading Selections & Conventions of posting

Folks can still message pedsphleb, who will announce the results of the votes in late July. The thread will float to the top depending how your Preferences are set.

It is certainly best if the recent post precedes the quoted one, as here, and this has often been recommended. I do not like to see quotes taken out of context without showing the entire post because I think it can be misleading and can emphasise something the previous poster did not intend to emphasise. This has often been done with ill intent. There is no need to read the entire quoted post but at least it is there for convenient reference. Several of us put the particular bit of the post we are referring to in italics at the top of the page and this seems to work well. Or we intersperse our post with bits of another in italics. Either way I think the whole of the previous post (though not necessarily those attached to it) needs to be there in most instances.

foxycat wrote:
Thanks, found it. Maybe it should be floated to the top. It doesn't look like there's any conclusive for the rest of the summer. Are we still messaging to pedsphleb? And that brings me to the problem of reading these forums...

I'd like to suggest that you edit your quotations with the simple delete key or whatever is most comfortable for you. Alternatively, you can just copy the sentence or paragraph that you're replying to, and paste it into the top of your post inside italics or lines. A few, like Everyman, are already doing this.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch : Posting conventions.

[ Edited ]
The important thing is to place your own post above the main quoted post so that folks do not have to scroll through the quote before they get to your post.

You have just been able to read my post here (for what it is worth!) without having to read any of the quoted post below but it is nevertheless there for reference. This becomes particularly important if you are replying to something when that 'conversation' has moved on.

Another thing folks should remember to do is to scroll to the bottom of a quote and deleted any 'Message edited by' and if they go into the post again to edit themselves, they should do this again for as many times as they edit (only one will then remain). These are unnecessary adjuncts.

Everyman wrote:

foxycat wrote:

I'd like to suggest that you edit your quotations with the simple delete key or whatever is most comfortable for you. Alternatively, you can just copy the sentence or paragraph that you're replying to, and paste it into the top of your post inside italics or lines.

Excellent suggestion! Some context is usually very helpful to understanding a post, but too much is a distraction, not a help!

If you're not sure you're editing a post properly, maybe fear you've deleted too much, you can always use the Preview Post option to see how your message will look when you hit the Submit Post button.

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-22-2007 06:14 AM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
The important thing is to place your own post above the main quoted post so that folks do not have to scroll through the quote before they get to your post.

Sometimes I put a post above another; sometimes below. Whether I put it above or below depends on several factors. If I think reading the earlier comment is necessary or helpful to understand what I'm saying, I'll put my comment below, as I did here. That keeps the flow of the discussion in order, as with a conversation.

Sometimes when a reply is made at the top and the entire thread of maybe half a dozen messages is maintained below I start to read the comment, have no idea why it's being said, and have to take the time to scroll down to try to find in the hundreds of following words the sentence which inspired the comment.

Basically, I think on top is sometimes good and beneath is sometimes good. I just suggest that people make a conscious decision as to which order will make the post most useful to readers.

BTW, if a message is clipped and you want to read the full message in context, the easiest way I've found is to select Reply, then select View discussion in popup. That gives you the whole thread quickly, while still leaving the main message accessible. Then just cancel post to get out of the reply box. I find it quick and convenient.
0 Kudos

Yes, this is true of a 'clipped' quote but not, I think, so true of a complete quote. I still think 'clipped' posts taken out of context and standing alone can give the wrong impression and not everyone will bother to read the View Discussion pop-up and so get the wrong impression. I have seen this happen many times and sometimes it is done deliberately to mislead or ridicule.

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Sometimes I put a post above another; sometimes below. Whether I put it above or below depends on several factors. If I think reading the earlier comment is necessary or helpful to understand what I'm saying, I'll put my comment below, as I did here. That keeps the flow of the discussion in order, as with a conversation.

Sometimes when a reply is made at the top and the entire thread of maybe half a dozen messages is maintained below I start to read the comment, have no idea why it's being said, and have to take the time to scroll down to try to find in the hundreds of following words the sentence which inspired the comment.

Basically, I think on top is sometimes good and beneath is sometimes good. I just suggest that people make a conscious decision as to which order will make the post most useful to readers.

BTW, if a message is clipped and you want to read the full message in context, the easiest way I've found is to select Reply, then select View discussion in popup. That gives you the whole thread quickly, while still leaving the main message accessible. Then just cancel post to get out of the reply box. I find it quick and convenient.

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Choisya wrote:
You have just been able to read my post here (for what it is worth!) without having to read any of the quoted post below but it is nevertheless there for reference. This becomes particularly important if you are replying to something when that 'conversation' has moved on.

I agree, Choisya, but 3-5 levels of quotation are unnecessary. We don't all read each reply exactly when it comes in. We still have to scroll down to get to the next reply, and I'm spending more time scrolling that reading. And I'm not picking on you; :smileytongue: others do it too. Try following a conversation and scrolling through some of your replies on some of the other boards.

Unfortunately some of the other culprits aren't here. :smileysad:

Message Edited by foxycat on 06-24-2007 12:48 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I think you must be in Threaded Mode - I am in Linear. I do not have to scroll if the quote is underneath because I have my Preferences set to Linear and 'last post first'. Have you got your Preferences set to 'last post first'? I am also subscribed to the Email messages facility which I find very useful.

I still don't think it helps to cut out or 'edit' Quotes, which have a useful purpose. I agree that more than one quote is usually uneccessary. However, this has been a problem since way back in BNU days, just as not altering the Subject line has been, and you will always get 'culprits'.

foxycat wrote:
Choisya wrote:

I agree, Choisya, but 3-5 levels of quotation are unnecessary. We don't all read each reply exactly when it comes in. We still have to scroll down to get to the next reply, and I'm spending more time scrolling that reading. And I'm not picking on you; :smileytongue: others do it too. Try following a conversation and scrolling through some of your replies on some of the other boards.

Unfortunately some of the other culprits aren't here. :smileysad:

Message Edited by foxycat on 06-24-2007 12:48 AM

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Choisya--
I'm in Linear, oldest to newest.

Message Edited by foxycat on 06-24-2007 09:29 PM

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Great job, everyone!!

Thanks for all the great posts this weekend! I was away for a day at a friends' wedding and when I got back I was so excited to see a nice fat number showing the new posts. Keep it up :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Message Edited by foxycat on 06-24-2007 11:31 PM

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by foxycat on 06-24-2007 11:31 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

That may be your problem - try setting it newest to oldest!

foxycat wrote:
Choisya--
I'm in Linear, oldest to newest.

Message Edited by foxycat on 06-24-2007 09:29 PM

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Blogs and cats

Thanks Laurel! Yeah, he's definitely overweight. It was under control until that whole pet food mess in January - my cats eat Science Diet m/d (aka Atkins for cats) and it was the only type of dry cat food recalled! So they went on a different formula and Dante really pigged out. But they're back on the m/d so hopefully he'll lose a couple pounds. When he lays on the edge of the desk his little tummy hangs over the side (he growls if you poke it).

Laurel wrote:
Neat blogspot, Melissa! Dante looks just like my Riley, but fatter!

pedsphleb wrote:
it's the IP address for my blog: balletbookworm.blogspot.com (funny - I can see it on my post; the mice must get loose in the server sometimes)

Melissa W.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Blogs and cats

Science Diet is still OK over here - why was it recalled?:smileysurprised: My last cat thrived on it until he was 21, Cagney was 16 when she died in February and Cleo is also 16 and still thriving.

pedsphleb wrote:
Thanks Laurel! Yeah, he's definitely overweight. It was under control until that whole pet food mess in January - my cats eat Science Diet m/d (aka Atkins for cats) and it was the only type of dry cat food recalled! So they went on a different formula and Dante really pigged out. But they're back on the m/d so hopefully he'll lose a couple pounds. When he lays on the edge of the desk his little tummy hangs over the side (he growls if you poke it).

Laurel wrote:

pedsphleb wrote:
it's the IP address for my blog: balletbookworm.blogspot.com (funny - I can see it on my post; the mice must get loose in the server sometimes)

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I was just the m/d variety out of all of SDs formulas. Whatever conaminated agent is was happened to be linked to an ingredient in my kitty food, so we had to switch to a different Science Diet formula while the factory line was cleaned out. We were fine :smileyhappy: (and we got a good deal because the vet just gave me a whole new bag of cat food even though the boys had pretty much polished off the recalled one).

Choisya wrote:
Science Diet is still OK over here - why was it recalled?:smileysurprised: My last cat thrived on it until he was 21, Cagney was 16 when she died in February and Cleo is also 16 and still thriving.

pedsphleb wrote:

Laurel wrote:

pedsphleb wrote:

Melissa W.
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It was one of the contaminated foods in the US. Britain must get a different formula or a different lot.

Choisya wrote:
Science Diet is still OK over here - why was it recalled?

Message Edited by foxycat on 08-07-2007 03:24 AM