Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

Re: Paris

Yes, I'm joining. I started Middlemarch a couple weeks ago, got distracted and put it down. I'm almost ready to pick it up again (as soon as I finish a little novel I picked up - and can't put down). My copy has VERY small type and I'm struggling to read it. I don't suppose it has anything to do with that middle-aged thing?!? Another problem I'm having is putting my brain into 1800s English, but I think Middlemarch will have me hooked by 100 pages or so...
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I bought another copy for the same reason jmc. It is best not to struggle with both the language and the print!:smileyhappy:

jmcnaughton wrote:
Yes, I'm joining. I started Middlemarch a couple weeks ago, got distracted and put it down. I'm almost ready to pick it up again (as soon as I finish a little novel I picked up - and can't put down). My copy has VERY small type and I'm struggling to read it. I don't suppose it has anything to do with that middle-aged thing?!? Another problem I'm having is putting my brain into 1800s English, but I think Middlemarch will have me hooked by 100 pages or so...

Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I bought another copy for the same reason jmc. It is best not to struggle with both the language and the print!:smileyhappy:

jmcnaughton wrote:

Hmmm, an excuse to go to B&N?!? What a novel idea! Thanks, Choisya.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Have a happy week off!

This next week is our "bye week" but don't be surprised if I try and play catch up! You're under no obligation to respond until after Monday Dec 31 (:smileytongue:).

Otherwise have a good week. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (or a belated Hannukah or Winter's Solstice :smileyhappy: )!
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: A Healthier New Year?

According to this Guardian article, birdsong is good for you so how about making a New Year Resolution to get up at dawn each day?:smileyvery-happy:.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2184035,00.html

Some interesting information about ancient sounds/language passed down by the Brahmins of India too.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Inernational Rail Travel

Those of you planning holidays in Europe and beyond may be interested in this website compiled by a British rail enthusiast who has travelled by train all over the world. He gives some very detailed information about how to get to destinations, cheap ways to travel or to obtain seats etc etc. Just click on any country listed on the left. Given the hassle we are all now experiencing at airports, rail is becoming a more popular way to travel, at least in Europe, and the prices are getting more compatible all the time.

http://www.seat61.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Have a happy week off!

[ Edited ]
Melissa -- I know that your schedule is "impossible", but I do want to ask, do we want to try to have a Middlemarch discussion for the remainder of January and, if so, how do we accomplish it?

In my opinion, Middlemarch is a well-written book that should sustain good discussion. But, attaining that discussion here on-line doesn't seem to be happening. I'm not certain "why." Are there other readers that are in a similar quandary, or is this just a book that some of us are glad B&N encouraged us enough that we are reading it and now let us just go and do that? Somehow, we as readers seem not to be stepping up to discussing this book -- or is that a mistaken impression on my part? Without minimizing the value moderators provide, I don't see moderator questions or comments as being as critical to sustaining interesting conversations as the participation of readers of the text.

Message Edited by Peppermill on 01-08-2008 11:37 AM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Xmas engagements notwithwstanding, I had thought that the Middlemarch discussion had ended on the 31st December and that we were having an interregnum until we got our next book up and running?:smileyhappy: Is this not so?

Peppermill wrote:
Melissa -- I know that your schedule is "impossible", but I do want to ask, do we want to try to have a Middlemarch discussion for the remainder of January and, if so, how do we accomplish it?

In my opinion, Middlemarch is a well-written book that should sustain good discussion. But, attaining that discussion here on-line doesn't seem to be happening. I'm not certain "why." Are there other readers that are in a similar quandary, or is this just a book that some of us are glad B&N encouraged us enough that we are reading it and now let us just go and do that? Somehow, we as readers seem not to be stepping up to discussing this book -- or is that a mistaken impression on my part? Without minimizing the value moderators provide, I don't see moderator questions or comments as being as critical to sustaining interesting conversations as the participation of readers of the text.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

We only took Christmas week off (officially) and started again with book 5 Dec 31. Choisya, you're such an overachiever :smileytongue:

Choisya wrote:
Xmas engagements notwithwstanding, I had thought that the Middlemarch discussion had ended on the 31st December and that we were having an interregnum until we got our next book up and running?:smileyhappy: Is this not so?

Peppermill wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
LOL. I NEED an interregnum because I am currently editing my daughter's Masters dissertation!!!:smileysurprised:

pedsphleb wrote:
We only took Christmas week off (officially) and started again with book 5 Dec 31. Choisya, you're such an overachiever :smileytongue:

Choisya wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-08-2008 07:24 PM
New User
readsalot777
0 Kudos

Hi-

I am a newbie. Is this group still active?
Thanks, Deirdre
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Middlemarch

readsalot777 wrote:
Hi-

Thanks, Deirdre

Deirdre -- It certainly can be if some of us will make it so. At this point, I'm willing to respond to posts if I think I have something worth adding to the discussion, but I am not very with it for saying "Here's a thought. Anyone want to expand, challenge, LOL, ridicule, even agree, ....?"

Also, I think a few others are around who might respond to new postings.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Middlemarch

I'm at the bottom of Book 7 now, but I don't know where my mind is.

Peppermill wrote:

readsalot777 wrote:
Hi-

Thanks, Deirdre

Deirdre -- It certainly can be if some of us will make it so. At this point, I'm willing to respond to posts if I think I have something worth adding to the discussion, but I am not very with it for saying "Here's a thought. Anyone want to expand, challenge, LOL, ridicule, even agree, ....?"

Also, I think a few others are around who might respond to new postings.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Congrats to her :smileyhappy: I hope she does well.

Choisya wrote:
LOL. I NEED an interregnum because I am currently editing my daughter's Masters dissertation!!!:smileysurprised:

pedsphleb wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-08-2008 07:24 PM

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

Pepper -

I'm still around, but I'm not up to schedule so I'm just posting as I read books. In fact, today I have off and I was planning on spending a good chunk of it in Middlemarch. I'm enjoying the book thoroughly, but I know I'm not the most consistent poster. As I type my bookmark is in Book IV, if that gives you some idea of where I am

I agree that moderators don't propel discussion (or shouldn't). It's what the readers bring to the discussion. I'm not sure if anyone else is still around, but I'll certainly continue as I read.
~ Happiness is a good book, a sleeping cat, and a glass of wine. ~
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffeeklatsch 2

I'm going to close this thread and start a new community room thread called "Barnes and Noble Cafe - Welcome to Literature by Women" or something like that (I think Kaffeeklatsch 2 was a bit confusing and wasn't obvious as the community room).
Melissa W.