Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Kaffeeklatsch 2

To quote from the BNBC Community Room:

Here's our place for conversations that go on beyond books. Ask questions, make recommendations, share stories, or just catch up with friends.
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffeeklatsch 2

Pmath I am so glad that you decided to stay and guide us through these books. Thank you -jd Catchy title for this thread.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Kaffee und Klatsch

Thanks, Jan: you'll have to thank the intrepid coffee-drinking and chatting Choisya, who demanded the name as well as the thread!

jd wrote:
Catchy title for this thread.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffee und Klatsch

[ Edited ]
Well it wasn't really a 'demand', just the thought that as we walked down the LbW High street we would want to look for a name we were familiar with and not risk wandering into an inferior joint where they didn't blend their tea and coffee properly and had no etiquette whatsoever!:smileysurprised: Thanks pmath:smileyhappy:. Now remember folks, sit up straight and mind your manners - those Regency and Victorian ladies might be watching!

(Presumably when this thread gets too long in Threaded mode, you will start a Kaffeeklatsch 3/4/5/6/7/8/10.......pmath:smileyvery-happy:.)

pmath wrote:
Thanks, Jan: you'll have to thank the intrepid coffee-drinking and chatting Choisya, who demanded the name as well as the thread!

jd wrote:
Catchy title for this thread.

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-15-200712:57 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

tea

Choisya wrote: Now remember folks, sit up straight and mind your manners - those Regency and Victorian ladies might be watching!

...and they sure are!

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kaffeeklatsch 2 : Fair Trade again.

Given my previous exhortations to you all to buy Fair Trade tea and coffee wherever you can, I would also like to point out that more and more fashion items are being produced for Fair Trade outlets. In the UK People Tree are the retailers but you may have them under other names in the US - please look out for them. Here is the People Tree UK Collection:-

http://www.peopletree.co.uk/index.php?cPath=732&osCsid=8d1bae0f1e6c39766cd9a3a67e08a55a
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

The London Library

So the LondonLibrary values your life in pounds.
when you are 25 yo something you pay £8800 for life membership and when you are over the hump at 50 you pay £5500..so £3300 for those thirty years makes it £1100 a year...hmmm....I think libraries should be free and education, too.

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: The London Library is a Private Library

[ Edited ]
All our public libraries are free Ziki but the London Library is a private, independent organisation not financed by government. Apart from a few private collections there, I doubt there is anything which cannot be obtained within our free public system but the ambience of this old library, set up before there were free public ones, is very good and conducive to study and research. Which is why wealthy and established authors have traditionally used it. As a Parliamentary Research Officer I once had free access but alas! no more:smileysad:

(Education is free in the UK but there are also private fee paying schools - which we, in our perverse way, call public schools:smileyhappy: Their correct title is Independent Schools - that means independent of the state sector, although they have to follow the same national curriculum, examinations etc.)

ziki wrote:
So the LondonLibrary values your life in pounds.
when you are 25 yo something you pay £8800 for life membership and when you are over the hump at 50 you pay £5500..so £3300 for those thirty years makes it £1100 a year...hmmm....I think libraries should be free and education, too.

ziki

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-17-200706:44 AM

Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Well it wasn't really a 'demand', just the thought that as we walked down the LbW High street we would want to look for a name we were familiar with and not risk wandering into an inferior joint where they didn't blend their tea and coffee properly and had no etiquette whatsoever!:smileysurprised: Thanks pmath:smileyhappy:. Now remember folks, sit up straight and mind your manners - those Regency and Victorian ladies might be watching!

Funny, Choisya! BTW, I will be in England approximately Sept 8-22. The location is still shaping up as it is in part with business for my husband. We will be traveling around England but I am not sure yet of the areas we will cover. If I can set our path close enough, it would be sheer delight to sit down with a pot of tea and talk with you! I will keep you posted.
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I leave for Italy (Lake Como) on the 8th and don't return until the 16th but hopefully we will be able to meet up between 17th-22nd:smileyhappy:. I live only half an hour's train ride from London and can get to Peterborough and other cities on the Great Northern train line easily, including York.

Jansten75 wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Funny, Choisya! BTW, I will be in England approximately Sept 8-22. The location is still shaping up as it is in part with business for my husband. We will be traveling around England but I am not sure yet of the areas we will cover. If I can set our path close enough, it would be sheer delight to sit down with a pot of tea and talk with you! I will keep you posted.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Choisya, I've heard that Lake Como is beautiful! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Choisya wrote:
I leave for Italy (Lake Como) on the 8th and don't return until the 16th but hopefully we will be able to meet up between 17th-22nd:smileyhappy:. I live only half an hour's train ride from London and can get to Peterborough and other cities on the Great Northern train line easily, including York.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I enjoyed my holiday on and around Lake Garda, including 2 operas at Verona, last year LizzieAnn and I am told there are a lot of beautiful gardens around Lake Como so that is the 'draw' this year:smileyhappy:.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Choisya, I've heard that Lake Como is beautiful! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Choisya wrote:

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Hrm, I might be in Europe in September as well, but I'm not sure of the dates. Dad and I are scheming to get Mom to go on vacation in Vienna (after Dad finishes a conference there) and since she won't fly internationally by herself, I'm probably going to get to go along (dances around :smileyvery-happy: ), the added bonus being that I can speak some German whereas my parents do not.

Dad also would like to rent a car/get a train ticket and take Mom to see the Mediterranean, etc. while we are there, so we might be passing by Como (who knows). Or, my friend Kate, who is currently living in Wales, is lobbying for me to come visit whilst I am there - so she can take me to see Bath, etc - so I may be in England by the time you get back home! We'll see :smileyhappy:

Choisya wrote:

Jansten75 wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I hope so!!! I just telephoned Marcia (from BNU days) who is now in England, lodging on a houseboat on the River Trent near to where I used to canoe!! We are hoping to meet up within the next day or two. She was in Nottingham when I telephoned, about to go into the oldest pub in England (1189) - Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, built into the rock of Nottingham Castle:-

http://www.triptojerusalem.com/trip_today.php

pedsphleb wrote:
Hrm, I might be in Europe in September as well, but I'm not sure of the dates. Dad and I are scheming to get Mom to go on vacation in Vienna (after Dad finishes a conference there) and since she won't fly internationally by herself, I'm probably going to get to go along (dances around :smileyvery-happy: ), the added bonus being that I can speak some German whereas my parents do not.

Dad also would like to rent a car/get a train ticket and take Mom to see the Mediterranean, etc. while we are there, so we might be passing by Como (who knows). Or, my friend Kate, who is currently living in Wales, is lobbying for me to come visit whilst I am there - so she can take me to see Bath, etc - so I may be in England by the time you get back home! We'll see :smileyhappy:

Choisya wrote:

Jansten75 wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I enjoyed my holiday on and around Lake Garda, including 2 operas at Verona, last year LizzieAnn and I am told there are a lot of beautiful gardens around Lake Como so that is the 'draw' this year:smileyhappy:.

Your trip to the Lakes of Italy sound fabulous. Do you know the movie, "A Month by the Lake" with Lynn Redgrave(I think) and Uma Thurman. An absolutely fun movie to watch with beautiful scenes of the Lake District.
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

No and thanks for recommending it Jansten75 - have just ordered it:smileyhappy:.

Jansten75 wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Your trip to the Lakes of Italy sound fabulous. Do you know the movie, "A Month by the Lake" with Lynn Redgrave(I think) and Uma Thurman. An absolutely fun movie to watch with beautiful scenes of the Lake District.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Despite the good weather we are having in the UK, I am personally feeling a bit 'under the weather' and don't think I will be able to keep up with the discussions. Nor have I finished reading Possession, although I did watch a DVD of the film recently. I think perhaps more gardening and less reading is called for:smileyhappy:.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Have fun in your garden :smileyhappy: Be sure to pop in from time to time.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

It has been raining heavily so I am back indoors:smileysurprised:

pedsphleb wrote:
Have fun in your garden :smileyhappy: Be sure to pop in from time to time.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
It has been raining heavily so I am back indoors:smileysurprised:

Then we'll be like the old man and woman in the clock; it's a lovely day here and I'm about to go outside to work in the garden.