Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Discussion of Tea on the Cooking, Food and Drinks Board

Thanks, Z, for doing this: for those who are interested, here's a link to it.

ziki wrote:
I ... started a separate tea thread on food forum, just in case; the topic grows on me all of a sudden!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

More Jane

Welcome back, Liz! Luckily, we'll have more of Jane Austen elsewhere at BNBC in just a few weeks (with David M. Shapard: see the Coming Soon page): I plan to listen to an audiobook of Pride and Prejudice this time.

Did you change your mind about any of the characters in MP after this reading?

LizzieAnn wrote:
Pmath, thanks for leading our discussion of MP - it's always a fun & interesting time when we discuss Austen.

pmath wrote:
Friends, I'd like to thank you all, especially my fellow JA fans (in alphabetical order) Jerri, Laurel, Leonora, Linda and the indefatigable Lizzie Ann, for making our discussion of Mansfield Park such a success.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: The Play

What have I done now??:smileysurprised: Whatever it is, I deny it because I can't be bothered to change to Threaded mode to read your link pmath:smileyvery-happy:.

pmath wrote:
Jan, I would never do such a thing to you: it was Choisya! See your response. (You're reading very carefully. I've been baking toffee bit cookies: they're more dangerous, since you can't stop at one!)

jd wrote:
Pmath, would you believe I bought the play and was all snuggled up and ready to read it and then the phone rang and when I returned my dog ate it? No??? I did not thinks so. :smileyhappy: What is it we all say, it is on my 'to read shelf', somewhere, I am sure, thanx to you I did not actually have to read the play - again coffee and brownies with my compliments - jd

pmath wrote:
Jan, have you read Lovers' Vows yet? Ha-ha (pun intended)! I enjoyed your great sense of humor.

jd wrote:
I loved this point counter point of this discussion and appreciate everyone.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion of Tea on the Cooking, Food and Drinks Board

Pmath - is there any possibility of you posting your links in both threaded and linear view because I can never pick them up and it is a great fag to have to switch my Preferences to threaded and then back to linear!!! (Don't bother for this one because I still don't want to use the Food and Drink board.)

pmath wrote:
Thanks, Z, for doing this: for those who are interested, here's a link to it.

ziki wrote:
I ... started a separate tea thread on food forum, just in case; the topic grows on me all of a sudden!

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Linked Messages

Okay, Choisya, I just figured out how to create a link that works for both views! However, if someone else using the threaded view links a message, you don't need to switch: see my earlier message, quoted below. Try the new-and-improved link out!

pmath wrote (here):
In the threaded view, you'll go directly to a linked message, but in the linear view, you may need to scroll to the message highlighted in yellow.

Choisya wrote:
Pmath - is there any possibility of you posting your links in both threaded and linear view because I can never pick them up and it is a great fag to have to switch my Preferences to threaded and then back to linear!!!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Sabotage

You sabotaged my efforts to persuade Jan to read Lovers' Vows herself: do you deny posting this very helpful message?

Choisya wrote:
What have I done now??:smileysurprised: Whatever it is, I deny it because I can't be bothered to change to Threaded mode to read your link pmath:smileyvery-happy:.

pmath wrote:
Jan, I would never do such a thing to you: it was Choisya! See your response.

jd wrote:
What is it we all say, it is on my 'to read shelf', somewhere, I am sure, thanx to you I did not actually have to read the play ...

pmath wrote:
Jan, have you read Lovers' Vows yet? Ha-ha (pun intended)!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Linked Messages

Thanks pmath, very helpful - I have struggled with this for a long time and should probably have mentioned it sooner.

pmath wrote:
Okay, Choisya, I just figured out how to create a link that works for both views! However, if someone else using the threaded view links a message, you don't need to switch: see my earlier message, quoted below. Try the new-and-improved link out!

pmath wrote (here):
In the threaded view, you'll go directly to a linked message, but in the linear view, you may need to scroll to the message highlighted in yellow.

Choisya wrote:
Pmath - is there any possibility of you posting your links in both threaded and linear view because I can never pick them up and it is a great fag to have to switch my Preferences to threaded and then back to linear!!!

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Sabotage

Sabotage is rather a strong word since I didn't know what you were trying to do:smileysad: I was just posting further info on the topic. No matter, it is all water under the bridge now:smileyhappy:.

pmath wrote:
You sabotaged my efforts to persuade Jan to read Lovers' Vows herself: do you deny posting this very helpful message?

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

jd wrote:
What is it we all say, it is on my 'to read shelf', somewhere, I am sure, thanx to you I did not actually have to read the play ...

pmath wrote:

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Research

Choisya, I was joking! We're grateful to have our very own research officer.

Choisya wrote:
Sabotage is rather a strong word since I didn't know what you were trying to do:smileysad: I was just posting further info on the topic. No matter, it is all water under the bridge now:smileyhappy:.

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

jd wrote:

pmath wrote:
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: More Jane

Maybe just Henry - I actually liked him better with this re-reading than I had earlier. Even being something of a player & actor, he was also well-developed & real. Still can't take to Fanny or Edmund; I can't imagine a very lively atmosphere within that home.

pmath wrote:
Welcome back, Liz! Luckily, we'll have more of Jane Austen elsewhere at BNBC in just a few weeks (with David M. Shapard: see the Coming Soon page): I plan to listen to an audiobook of Pride and Prejudice this time.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Reading Group Guide

Some of you might find this printable reading group guide useful, as you reflect on our discussion of MP.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Through Chapter 48: Balance

Liz, I change my mind about all the characters every time I read it! The characters are complex, and I don't think even most literary scholars have read MP enough times to have a balanced view of them.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Maybe just Henry - I actually liked him better with this re-reading than I had earlier. Even being something of a player & actor, he was also well-developed & real.

pmath wrote:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

My Rôle Here

[ Edited ]
Friends, as I mentioned earlier to Linda (here), I'll join you in the main Possession discussion threads on the start date of Monday, May 21.

Since this is your board, I'll be taking a more hands-off approach this time around, and responding to your posts instead of initiating discussions.

Message Edited by pmath on 05-25-200710:33 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: My Rôle Here

pmath wrote:
Friends, as I mentioned earlier to Linda (here), I'll join you in the main Possession discussion threads on the start date of Monday, May 21.

Since this is your board, I'll be taking a more hands-off approach this time around, and responding to your posts instead of initiating discussions.

(My heart was nearly broken this past weekend over the conflict, and it's still very sore, so I hope you'll understand my desire to stay more in the background in the future: perhaps I'm even more like Fanny than I think!)

As a participant on the forum I feel I've got double messages after this 'experiment' started last month. As for the future of these user led discussions I am not going to discuss that subject here but I want to say the following: I personally think that all moderating functions should stay with BN in which case the so called host can still promote a discussion and keep it going, which is the primary aim. Also if a forum like this is initiated I feel that continuity is paramount and BN has to attend to that, with or without the help of the host. I am also confused when the user moderated groups are refered to as 'my group' by the host and the program is set from that POV. In such case the groups should be clearly separated from the BN program to avoid the confusion.

It is enjoyable to have friendly discussions readers inbetween, however, the classics profit from a leader who has a substantial knowledge of the subject(literature). That we have seen in the past. About this I have spoken to the responsible staff on BN and I have no more to say about it here.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

User-Hosted Boards

Thanks for bringing this up, Z: I hope we can indeed discuss this here, along with BNBC staff members, and that others participants will share their thoughts too.

ziki wrote:
As for the future of these user led discussions I am not going to discuss that subject here but I want to say the following: I personally think that all moderating functions should stay with BN in which case the so called host can still promote a discussion and keep it going, which is the primary aim. Also if a forum like this is initiated I feel that continuity is paramount and BN has to attend to that, with or without the help of the host.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

No-Man's Land

BTW, I personally feel I'm in a no-man's land: it's not where I want to be.

pmath wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up, Z: I hope we can indeed discuss this here, along with BNBC staff members, and that others participants will share their thoughts too.

ziki wrote:
As for the future of these user led discussions I am not going to discuss that subject here but I want to say the following: I personally think that all moderating functions should stay with BN in which case the so called host can still promote a discussion and keep it going, which is the primary aim. Also if a forum like this is initiated I feel that continuity is paramount and BN has to attend to that, with or without the help of the host.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: User-Hosted Boards are fine!

[ Edited ]
For my part, I feel that all the reader-moderated discussions by Pmath, LizzieAnn and Laurel have gone very well indeed, despite the 'conflicts', which IMO have been storms-in-teacups. When so many different people from different backgrounds and of different ages etc participate in these discussions, there is bound to be disagreement from time to time. Providing these disagreements are 'aired' in a pleasant manner, without any personal abuse, they should not be taken too seriously by anyone and if things get difficult to resolve they should be referred to the BNBC staff by the reader-moderator, which happened last weekend. If there is personal abuse that should be reported to BNBC staff immediately by whoever sees it first so that they can remove the offending post(s), which no-one else can do.

I also think that any changes proposed by either BNBC or reader-moderators should be posted about and discussed before they are acted upon and reader's votes should be solicited wherever possible. We are all adults here and used to having a democratic say in what affects our lives - at home, at work, in our leisure activites and in politics. Wherever possible in life, I think it is a good principle to be democratic wherever we can and not to impose decisions from 'on high'.

It also stands to reason that from time to time volunteer reader-moderators might either get overloaded or ill and may wish to step aside for awhile. They are not like paid, professional moderators who have a contractual obligation to stay-the-course. This 'volunteer' aspect of reader-moderators should be respected by all of us. That being said, I do believe that it is necessary to maintain as much continuity in a particular discussion as possible and that reader-moderators should stick to the books they have commenced with, and/or selected, wherever possible, because readers get used to their style of doing things.

My preference, like Ziki's, would have been to stick with the professional moderators like Bob, Ilana and Co. but given that a decision has been made by BNBC to remove them and to appoint Reader-Moderators, I feel we have no choice but to go along with that decision or have a free-for-all, which I feel would not work at all.

pmath wrote:

ziki wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-18-200701:35 PM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Through Chapter 48: Balance

You're quite right - that's why I love to re-read many books. Our experiences affect how we view a book, and as we grow & change & mature - so does our point of view.

pmath wrote:
Liz, I change my mind about all the characters every time I read it! The characters are complex, and I don't think even most literary scholars have read MP enough times to have a balanced view of them.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Maybe just Henry - I actually liked him better with this re-reading than I had earlier. Even being something of a player & actor, he was also well-developed & real.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Roles Etc.

Hi everyone --

Thought it appropriate to post a quick message here. We understand that maintaining a discussion both focused and wide-ranging can sometimes seem daunting to all concerned; different folks favor different approaches in everything from how long to let a conversation run, to how much there should be central management of topics etc.

But we think it important to observe that this has been, and continues to be, a terrific success as a book club, thanks in great part to the wonderful job pmath has done leading the discussion. It's a fact of life (though we're always sorry to experience it!) that tempers can flare in any group, and conflicts arise over issues large and small. We know that feelings get bruised in even the most collegial of communities, this one not excepted.

But on the whole this has been a wonderful conversation, and we have every reason to believe that the discussion of Possession will be every bit as lively and rewarding as Mansfield Park. We support pmath in her role as host of this book club, and look forward to working with her to make it as good as it can be, for as long as she chooses to lead the conversation.

And of course, we'll continue to examine the way we structure all of our book club conversations, and we encourage your thoughts along the way about how to keep improving the experience. (And you can always post those suggestions here.)

Thanks,
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

The Two Camps

Do you think there are two camps because some readers are so repulsed by some character or the other the first time they read MP that they refuse to read it again?

LizzieAnn wrote:
You're quite right - that's why I love to re-read many books. Our experiences affect how we view a book, and as we grow & change & mature - so does our point of view.

pmath wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote: