Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Thyme50
0 Kudos

Re: NOMINATIONS: July 28 - August 3, 2009

Where My Ink Comes From by C.N.King--A self-published work just recently came out.  It is available through CreateSpace.com.   The prose of this 18 year old young mother is so genuine and rare.   The book is written in the form of a  diary of a young girl striving for high achievement in music in order to pay for her college career .  Along this path she strruggles with a disfunctional family  to cope with friends, relationships and ambition.  Her reflections and how she views her pregnancy and her previous suicide attempts prior to this event would serve as good bio-therapy for teens at risk.   
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Please talk to Melissa about whether Where My Ink Comes From qualifies as woman's literature.  Also, books discussed here need to be readily available and a quick search did not find Ms. King's book for me -- oh, yes, I did find it with one very strong reader review. 
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Respect, but not love, for Flannery O'Connor.  I really don't know the work of Katherine Ann Porter and would be interested in reading something by her.

Ryan_G wrote:
Can I at least get a little love for Flannery O'Connor and Katherine Anne Porter? :smileywink:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

This was her only novel and took her over 20 year to finish.  It was an immediate best seller when it was published in 1962.  I haven't read this since college, about 15 years ago, but I remember loving it.  It is funny and rather satirical.  Of the four books I nominated I would want this one to selected if none of the others are.

Peppermill wrote:

Respect, but not love, for Flannery O'Connor.  I really don't know the work of Katherine Ann Porter and would be interested in reading something by her.

Ryan_G wrote:
Can I at least get a little love for Flannery O'Connor and Katherine Anne Porter? :smileywink:

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

Melissa --there is something about the B&N website which fights with my computer. Every time I try to PM you, I get the 'page not available' error--which is why I have never nominated a book or voted on previous selections.

If anyone else is interested in reading Frankenstein in October, please send Melissa a Pm for nominating it.

Thanks

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Sounds fascinating, even though I have always had a hard time reading Lessing.  I will probably vote for it if nominated.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Pepper

Jon_B wrote:

I have a recommendation:

The Memoirs of a Survivor 

by Doris Lessing

This book was recommended to me after I finished The Pickup (the August pick for LbW of course), although it's a very different book, I think the recommendation came from the fact that both Lessing and Gordimer are of European descent but both partially grew up in Africa, which certainly had some effect on both their prose styles and their general outlook - and that of their characters.  But in terms of subject matter and story this is a very different book.  It could in some ways be described as "science fiction" in the sense that it takes place in a hypothetical future but it's not at all like any other science fiction I've read.  There's nothing to do with technology, space, computers, articificial intelligence, or anything like that.  It's a very real, very gripping portrayal of what the disintigration of a western society might look like, how it might work. It's a very emotional book in many ways, and very thoughtful.  I'd love to read it again in a group setting.  I know a couple other people who might be interested as well.

Just my 2 cents! 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Streamsong,

I sent the nomination in for you

streamsong wrote:

Melissa --there is something about the B&N website which fights with my computer. Every time I try to PM you, I get the 'page not available' error--which is why I have never nominated a book or voted on previous selections.

If anyone else is interested in reading Frankenstein in October, please send Melissa a Pm for nominating it.

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Indeed, she seems quite a fascinating  character with an interesting life by itself. I saw her on TV when she received the Nobel Prize in 2007 (as well as Nadine Gordimer a few years before!). She sounded so modest and shy. I am willing to try reading her book even though I have the feeling it might not be so easy...

Peppermill wrote:

Sounds fascinating, even though I have always had a hard time reading Lessing.  I will probably vote for it if nominated.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Pepper

Jon_B wrote:

I have a recommendation:

The Memoirs of a Survivor 

by Doris Lessing

This book was recommended to me after I finished The Pickup (the August pick for LbW of course), although it's a very different book, I think the recommendation came from the fact that both Lessing and Gordimer are of European descent but both partially grew up in Africa, which certainly had some effect on both their prose styles and their general outlook - and that of their characters.  But in terms of subject matter and story this is a very different book.  It could in some ways be described as "science fiction" in the sense that it takes place in a hypothetical future but it's not at all like any other science fiction I've read.  There's nothing to do with technology, space, computers, articificial intelligence, or anything like that.  It's a very real, very gripping portrayal of what the disintigration of a western society might look like, how it might work. It's a very emotional book in many ways, and very thoughtful.  I'd love to read it again in a group setting.  I know a couple other people who might be interested as well.

Just my 2 cents! 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Are the nominations going to be announced today?