Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

P&P: Volume 1 (September 2 - 15)

Please use this thread to discuss the first Volume of Pride and Prejudice.  Please avoid spoilers in this thread.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Opening lines....

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a young man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife.

One of the most famous opening lines in fiction and it sets the stage for Austen's tone in her novel - observant, acerbic, and witty.

It's a funny line, certainly, but the word choice is what makes it stand out.  It isn't "suggested" or "Everyone agrees that" = it is a truth universally acknowledged.  Acknowledged by whom?  I'm sure Mr. Bingley doesn't feel that he lacks a wife.  He has two sisters after all, including a maiden elder sister to keep house for him.  But to the ladies of rural Hertfordshire his 5,000 pounds per year lacks the management of a wife.  And so he needs one.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Opening lines....

I love that opening line!  Of course, I think it is the mothers of single daughters that universally acknowledge that 'truth'!  It is almost written from the point of view of Mrs. Bennett, and we are immediately plunged into her schemes along those lines!  Of course, all the mothers in the neighborhood are busily acknowledging that truth at the same time!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia