Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

P&P in Motion

Please use this thread to discuss the many film and television adaptations of Pride and Prejudice.  This is a very spoiler-friendly thread :smileywink:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Re: P&P in Motion

[ Edited ]

Let's see, I have four versions - the classic Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson film, the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth A&E miniseries, the old BBC version (think it was a miniseries), and the Keira Knightley film.  The A&E miniseries, for me, is the definitive version, but of course they had five hours to work with.  It was also written by the wonderful Andrew Davies, who has done so many wonderful adaptations of classics.  Even though the old Garson/Olivier movie is rather loosely adapted, I still love it.  I especially love Edna May Oliver as Lady Catherine!  And her part is probably the greatest departure from the novel, where she conspires with Darcy to trick Lizzie into refusing to say that she will not marry him.  Love it! Great cast, including Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O'Sullivan, and Ann Rutherford.

I've seen a lot of other adaptations, or movies based on the novel.  I enjoyed a Bollywood version called Bride and Prejudice.  And of course there is Bridget Jones' Diary, complete with Colin Firth as Darcy!  There was one version I wasn't crazy about, about Mormon kids.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Austenland  A new film based on Shannon Hale's novel opens some time this fall (I think).  There are elements from most of the novels but the one it draws on most is P&P.  I picked this up a few years ago as a NOOK Daily Find and really enjoyed the way the book was organized - around the heroine's ex-boyfriends in chronological order!  Can't wait to see how it was adapted - it had really positive reviews at the film festivals.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

Austenland  A new film based on Shannon Hale's novel opens some time this fall (I think).  There are elements from most of the novels but the one it draws on most is P&P.  I picked this up a few years ago as a NOOK Daily Find and really enjoyed the way the book was organized - around the heroine's ex-boyfriends in chronological order!  Can't wait to see how it was adapted - it had really positive reviews at the film festivals.

And then there's Midnight in Austenland, which should be made into a movie, too.  It expands the characters played by Jane Seymour and Amanda Coolidge quite well while also managing to introduce a murder mystery into the plotline.