Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

PLAM: Part 2, "I'm Sorry, Hyong-chol"

Please use this thread for discussion of Part 2 of Please Look After Mom.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Re: PLAM: Part 2, "I'm Sorry, Hyong-chol"

Y'all are going to laugh- but I misplaced my book about halfway through part 2.  It's somewhere in the house (probaby under the furniture due to feline assistance)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I found it - finally.  The cats had knocked it behind my desk, into a little space just big enough for a paperback.  I found it while vacuuming.

Since I'm behind - and am swamped at work - I'd like to continue the discussion of Please Look After Mom through July and choose a book to read for August then.  Cool?

Melissa_W wrote:

Y'all are going to laugh- but I misplaced my book about halfway through part 2.  It's somewhere in the house (probaby under the furniture due to feline assistance)

Melissa W.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR

That's fine with me. Right now, I deep into Nadine Gordimer's latest anthology of short stories: Life Times and I'm enjoying tremendously one short story after another . I am about to translate one of them into French as part of a Master degree in English Literature which I'll try to complete in 2014.

As for PLAM, I really think that it was a well written book despite the unusual "place" of the narrator. Moreover its central  themes are universal: solitude, generation gap, relationship between husband and wife, town/country life differences, children/parents relationship,  illiteracy..Might be a bit too painful though...

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Good luck with the Master's! :smileyhappy:

Yes, PLAM is very bittersweet.

chadadanielleKR wrote:

That's fine with me. Right now, I deep into Nadine Gordimer's latest anthology of short stories: Life Times and I'm enjoying tremendously one short story after another . I am about to translate one of them into French as part of a Master degree in English Literature which I'll try to complete in 2014.

As for PLAM, I really think that it was a well written book despite the unusual "place" of the narrator. Moreover its central  themes are universal: solitude, generation gap, relationship between husband and wife, town/country life differences, children/parents relationship,  illiteracy..Might be a bit too painful though...

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

chadadanielleKR wrote:

Very ambitious!  Good Luck!