Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE: Discussion September/October 2013

Hello, hello!  Pride and Prejudice was first published in January 1813 and has been in print almost continuously since then with the exception of a few years after Austen's death.  There isn't a lot I can add to the biography of Austen's life or the novel's publication history (easily found through a quick Google search) so let's get down to the schedule:

September 2 - September 15: Volume 1

September 16 - September 29: Volume 2

September 30 - October 13: Volume 3

October 14 - October 20: P&P in Motion (television and movie adaptations)

October 21 - October 27: Variations, Sequels, and Updates

I'll be using the Norton edition of P&P (with the extra essays, etc) but any edition of P&P will do!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Jane Austen's Ring

What do you think about the recent to-do about who should get custody of Jane Austen's turquoise ring?  And why did it slip out of the family's custody in the first place?

Redcatlady

New User
wiltingdragonfly
0 Kudos

Re: PRIDE AND PREJUDICE: Discussion September/October 2013

Aways a favorite.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen's Ring

Redcatlady wrote:

What do you think about the recent to-do about who should get custody of Jane Austen's turquoise ring?  And why did it slip out of the family's custody in the first place?

Redcatlady

The issue isn't that her family no longer had it (it had probably been given or willed to a non-family member at some point) but that the UK government decided that it needed to stay in the UK.  Never mind that it had been for sale for nearly a year before Kelly Clarkson bought it (and would obviously treasure it) - no one seemed to care before that point.  If items like that are considered important to British culture, they should be proactive not reactive.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com