Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

SHIP OF FOOLS: Discussion Schedule January/February 2013

Happy New Year!

The 1962 novel Ship of Fools is Katherine Anne Porter's only novel.  She had originally intended to write only a novella based on her 1931 sea voyage from Mexico to Germany but 20 years later it had morphed into nearly 500 pages.  It was immediately snapped up as a Book of the Month Club selection and the movie rights sold for the equivalent of $3Mil in today's dollars (the 1965 adaptation was Vivien Leigh's last film and won Oscars for Best Set Decoration and Best Cinematography).

Now, Ship of Fools does not lend itself to being broken up for book club reading.  Other than the three sections, there are NO obvious breaks in the text aside from an extra space or two here and there.  So I'm not going to be able to break it up minutely - Part II is just going to have to be one very long thread.

Discussion Schedule:

Week 1, January 7 - January 13: Part I, Embarkation

Week 2 - 5, January 14 - February 3:Part II, High Sea

Week 6 - 7, February 4 - February 17: Part III, The Harbors

Week 8, February 18 - February 24: Discussion of the novel as a whole

And at the beginning of February we need to pick our next few books.  So everyone put their thinking caps on :smileyhappy:

Ship of Fools is currently available as a paperback and an Mp3 on CD audio book.  (I do have to say, the cover art on the paperback is rather innocuous, aside from having absolutely no blurbs on the cover anywhere)

The movie adaptation isn't currently available to purchase but it is available through Netflix.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: SHIP OF FOOLS: Discussion Schedule January/February 2013

I'm super excited for this, and hope to get started on the book within the next few days.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: SHIP OF FOOLS: Discussion Schedule January/February 2013

Great to see you again!  :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: SHIP OF FOOLS: movie

The movie sounds interesting too . Has anyone seen it?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I watched it a few years ago, but to be honest, I can't remember much about it.  I know I enjoyed it at the time.  I will have to look for it again, and see what I think now.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

I've got it on my Netflix queue. (Old fashioned-queue with CD's sent back and forth, so it may be a bit before I actually see it.