Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

STATE OF WONDER: Discussion Schedule March 2013

State of Wonder  

(Whew! This is the first time all day I've been near my own computer!  I'll leave the Ship of Fools threads pinned for those who are still working through the book)

We read Ann Patchett's Bel Canto back in July 2010 so I'm delighted we'll be returning to South America with her newest novel, State of Wonder.  We'll be travelling up the Amazon in pursuit of a missing mycologist/pharmacist - a Heart of Darkness for the twenty-first century.

There are only eleven chapters so we'll cover a few chapters a week:

March 4 - 10:  Chapters One - Three

March 11 - 17:  Chapters Four - Six

March 18 - 24:  Chapters Seven - Nine

March 25 - 31:  Chapters Ten - Eleven and the Novel as a Whole

State of Wonder is available in trade paperback, large print paperback, hardcover, NOOK, and audiobook (mp3 and CD).

There is no movie of State of Wonder (as yet - I don't believe the rights have been sold) but I was noticing the similarities of the plot to the early 1990s movie Medicine Man.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: STATE OF WONDER: Discussion Schedule March 2013

I am really looking forward to this book!  

As luck would have it, the three books I had been on waiting lists for at my library all became available at once, a couple of days ago.  I had to read those while they were available to me, so it will be a few days before I pick up this book.  

Talk to you all soon!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

This is how we know librarians have ESP.  Mine always seem to know when I've planned to read something else.  We'll be here, Laura! :smileyhappy:

Fozzie wrote:

I am really looking forward to this book!  

As luck would have it, the three books I had been on waiting lists for at my library all became available at once, a couple of days ago.  I had to read those while they were available to me, so it will be a few days before I pick up this book.  

Talk to you all soon!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Looking forward to this one, I have started to read State of Wonder. So far very good ! :smileyhappy: 

Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

It'll be a few days before I start it, too. I'll be listening to the audio on my my way in and out to work--and need to finish the audiobook I have partially finished first. But I picked it up from the library today, so I'll be joining in, soon.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

The reviews for" Medicine Man" DVD.are good. It looks like a good movie too. I am surprised that there haven't been more movies on this subject. It has it all for adventure, Research Pharmacology Corporations. Environment, endangered species. I wonder how Spielberg would do this ?  Primordial Park maybe ?   

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

All this reminds me the famous Conrad's book  without the medical aspect. But I didn't read "State of wonder" yet. I am still in the middle of "the ship of fools"! p. 286 and it's getting better and better!

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

The Heart of Darkness is very interesting. That's what they called the interior of the African continent. Anything could kill you & eat you including cannabils. 

Sounds like everyone is going to start State of Wonder in the next week of so. I am done with the first section so I am a bit ahead. So I will hold off on the rest till everyone has a chance to read the first section. 

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Fine, I just ordered it and I am looking forward reading it.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok sounds good !  I am on my 3rd browser and noticed my last post. Just didn't look like that in preview . So if it looks like this again I will need to find another browser. I am not sure what's worse no spell check in browser 2. Or clipped sentence in browser 3. Or really slow log on in browser 1. 

I will see what happens with this post.    

Ok it looks like it worked this time :smileyhappy:  

I will start with the first section tomorrow Chap1-3 now that this browser problem is hopefully cleared up. See you all there " Great Book " so far ! 

New User
itbeginsandendswithyou
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone

This is my first time on the nook blog and I am interested in the book discussions. So is someone able to explain to me how this work please.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well, this isn't a nook-exclusive group, so anyone who is reading/wants to read Ann Patchett's State of Wonder in any format can join in.  I've already posted some threads to break the book up in pieces so just read the book, post your thoughts under the thread for that section (i.e. if you want to discuss something that happened in Chapter 5 post under the thread for chapters 4-6), and comment on others posts.  It's pretty free-form here.

This section of the BN Bookclubs is Literature by Women - we read classic and/or critically-acclaimed books written by women.  We're also one of the the oldest surviving groups, been here since the genre-specific groups were created by in Spring 2007.

Next month we'll be reading Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden.

itbeginsandendswithyou wrote:

Hello Everyone

This is my first time on the nook blog and I am interested in the book discussions. So is someone able to explain to me how this work please.

Melissa W.