Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: So, where do we go from here?

My memory must be going!  We certainly did to the O'Connor!  Thanks Fozzie :smileyhappy:

Fozzie wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

Two cents are always welcome :smileyhappy:

Adding male authors was a suggestion that quietly came and went - obviously, none of us felt it terribly necessary for drumming up more participants!  We did do a book of short stores (Runaway by Alice Munro) but none of the others have made it through our voting rounds.

elaine_hf wrote:

Hi. I haven't been a participant in this particular club - yes, you may label me a lurker - but I do participate in Deb's fiction group. That group has also dwindled down to just 3 participants or so; I chalk that up, at least partially, to the oncoming holiday season. I thought I'd poke around over here, because you seem to do a good job of book selection, and was thinking about joining you. Like many others here, I participate in several groups and have my hands full, but would definitely be willing to give it a go. A few thoughts here - if you're going to remain a 'literature by women' group, I wouldn't delve into the world of 'literature by men' - I guess that idea came up with the discussion on the 'classics' board, on page 1. And I'm wondering if the idea of short stories has any appeal, or any applicability. It may not be practical, but they can make for lively conversation! I love books by middle eastern women, there is such an interesting shift in perspective. The international idea has a lot of appeal to me.

Just my two cents' worth, feel free to ignore if you like... ;-)

We also read Flannery O'Connor's short story collection.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Follow me! - schedule edit

[ Edited ]

We had discussed that this would give Danielle less time between her initial reading and our comments  here.  Hope this works for everyone and that everyone sees this.  Since it ended up at the bottom of my previous page, let me copy/repeat this in hopes everyone will see it.  Melissa, thanks for making this change, I certainly hope I understood where we were correctly! Perhaps you will also start a 2012 schedule thread or something like that so this information can be up front for everyone?

I like the idea of Georgette Heyer at some point.  Michael Dirda recommends her in his Classics for Pleasure,  I have at least one of hers in my sort of started TBR pile.  (That's no statement of its inability to hold interest, just my attempts to read too many things at the same time.)

I don't have a strong interest in YA, but, since teachers are part of my f2f book group, we include one from time to time and it makes for interesting insight as to what is happening to writing addressed to that generation.  It might also attract young readers to this board and its other selections?

Melissa_W wrote:

Pepper reminded me that the group had settled on The Inheritance of Loss for January, then The Tiger's Wife for February.  My bad on the schedule mixup!

Melissa_W wrote:

Instead of doing 4-6 months of scheduling at once we'll do maybe two months ahead.  That being said, our re-boot schedule will be:

January 2012:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

We had discussed that this would give Danielle less time between her initial reading and our comments  here.  Hope this works for everyone and that everyone sees this.  Since it ended up at the bottom of my previous page, let me copy/repeat this in hopes everyone will see it.  Melissa, thanks for making this change, I certainly hope I understood where we were correctly! Perhaps you will also start a 2012 schedule thread or something like that so this information can be up front for everyone?

Yes, this is how I remember the schedule too.  I thought Melissa must have had a reason to change it, so I didn't say anything.  :smileyhappy:

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Yes, this is how I remember the schedule too.  I thought Melissa must have had a reason to change it, so I didn't say anything.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks, Laura.  (I went to Melissa in a PM in case she did have a reason for the change.  She was kind enough to come back as she has.  I think we all just didn't communicate the first time around.  I know her life is terribly busy to follow all the ins and outs we had.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Er hello

Not to be miss butinske but I was wondering if this board has and OT threads or games like my "In Other News" threads?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Ursula Le Guin

Not necessarily for discussion here, but I have been wanting to read something by Ursula Le Guin.

Are there books of hers other readers here would recommend?

Pepper

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: Ursula Le Guin

Her Earthsea series is probably the most well-known.  We could also look at The Lathe of Heaven (I've never read that one).

Here's the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_K._Le_Guin) - faster than typing in all her books :smileytongue:

Peppermill wrote:

Not necessarily for discussion here, but I have been wanting to read something by Ursula Le Guin.

Are there books of hers other readers here would recommend?

Pepper

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Ursula Le Guin

I miss the selection of books that comes up on this thread and I'm trying my best to get back into hanging around the boards more often, so I would hate to see anything happen to the baord.  I just read the conversation from the begining and the one thing I would say, what that means coming from someone who hasn't been around for almost year, is I agree with the opening of genres a bit.  But that's neither here nor there since I shouldn't voice my opinon too much since I haven't really been around.  :-)

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com