Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: April/May 2012 Sked

Melissa_W wrote:

For April I'll put The Weird Sisters on the schedule - it is a really fun book to read, lots of Shakespeare influences, and very quotable :smileyhappy:

And what's this about a surprise? ...

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Well, Eleanor might stop by LbW in April.  We were tweeting a bit about it.  She's travelling a lot next month but is really excited her book is on our schedule so she said she will try to drop in.  So I can't promise to have our first author visit, but it might happen :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

Well, Eleanor might stop by LbW in April.  We were tweeting a bit about it.  She's travelling a lot next month but is really excited her book is on our schedule so she said she will try to drop in.  So I can't promise to have our first author visit, but it might happen :smileyhappy:

I was hoping it might be an author visit!  Yeah!

I read Chapter One of the book yesterday.  I know I am going to love it.

Laura

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I was just wondering if anybody had acquired some early Austen for our May reading, and if so, what you got, since it seems to be divided up into various volumes that are currently available.  I have what appears to be just about everything (except for her letters) in one volume, not currently available.  I read it in April, and really enjoyed it.  I'll go back and review which ones I especially liked for recommendations, but I'd rather know what people actually have, so I can concentrate on those.  I know Melissa suggested Love and Freindship and Lady Susan, which are the most well-known.  I think we should also do The History of England, which was amusing and clearly showed which royals she preferred and which she hated.  It is in the second volume of juvenilia, which also includes Love and Freindship.  I did find a link to it online, which includes Cassandra's illustrations, which are not in my volume: http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/austen/accessible/introduction.html  I suppose others are also available online, if sought.  It's getting closer to May, so I thought maybe it was time to start a discussion on what to include.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I have at least one copy of everything so whatever everyone wants to read, I'm good to go :smileyhappy:

The History is a delightful little book - very much worth reading.  Sanditon and The Watsons are unfinished novels (it is believed that she was working on The Watsons at her death and it has a decidedly different tone, rather bleak).  Catherine in the prototype for what eventually became Northanger AbbeyLady Susan is Austen's only epistolary novel - it's a bit longer than many of her other minor works/juvenilia so I think we should put that on the schedule for "last" (it's also got some wicked satire).

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I did enjoy both The Watsons and Sanditon, and it was only a pity that they were unfinished, although in the case of The Watsons, she had told Cassandra some of what she had planned, and Cassandra later told the nieces.  Actually, it was Sanditon that she was working on when she died.  The Watsons was abandoned when her father died, probably because she had planned for the father to die and it hit too close to home.  She did keep on writing right up until she passed away, and wrote a rather lengthy poem the day before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Oops, my bad.  Thanks for catching that.

dulcinea3 wrote:

I did enjoy both The Watsons and Sanditon, and it was only a pity that they were unfinished, although in the case of The Watsons, she had told Cassandra some of what she had planned, and Cassandra later told the nieces.  Actually, it was Sanditon that she was working on when she died.  The Watsons was abandoned when her father died, probably because she had planned for the father to die and it hit too close to home.  She did keep on writing right up until she passed away, and wrote a rather lengthy poem the day before.

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Austen Schedule

So, here's what I worked out for a rough schedule:

Week 1:  The History of England

Week 2:  Love and Freindship (and it's so hard to spell that one "wrong" )

Week 3:  The Watsons and Sanditon

Week 4:  Lady Susan

Any thoughts?  Additions (especially in week 1, since that one isn't very long, although it is delightful)?

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

June/July 2012

With Austen down for May, we need to work out books for June and July!  Suggestions?  I have a few ideas but I want to see what you're thinking of first :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: June/July 2012

The Doll  

Rebecca's Tale  

The Book of the City of Ladies  

The Girl Who Heard Dragons (Dragonriders of Pern Series)  

The Professor  

I just went through my TBR list, and above are a few that might be interesting:  The Doll is a new collection of 'lost' stories by Daphne du Maurier.  Rebecca's Tale is about the first Mrs. Dewinter.  The Book of the City of Ladies is, I believe, medieval literature; I don't know much more about it, but it's been on my shelf a long time.  The Girl Who Heard Dragons would be a sci-fi change of pace, by the late great Anne McCaffrey; this is a collection of short stories, and I don't think they are all Pern stories.  And The Professor is my last remaining Bronte TBR!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Austen Schedule

That sounds great, Melissa.  I did like some of the short stories in the first volume of the juvenilia, but I don't know if people who get the second volume, that includes Love and Freindship and The History of England, will have those.  There are several more things in the second volume, so maybe we can select something more from those.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would suggest authors we have not read before on this board.  

We have talked about books by Anne Tyler.  Any of her books would be fine with me.  

We have talked about Louise Erdich.  I would suggest The Master Butcher's Singing Club.  

The Master Butchers Singing Club  

I thought of a another author to consider --- Isabel Allende.  I would suggest The House of the Spirits.

The House of the Spirits  

Laura

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

Any thoughts?  Additions (especially in week 1, since that one isn't very long, although it is delightful)?

I just realized that we are already a week behind in starting these discussions.  It looks like Melissa hasn't been around in a couple of weeks - I hope everything is ok!  It wouldn't bother me if anyone wants to delay this.  I've been having some health issues of my own, and am also deep into Middlemarch and finding it slow going.  I did read the Austen last month, but would want to at least superficially reread anything as we discuss it.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Sorry, I had a horrendous workweek (crazyhospitaljob + graduationweekend/Mother'sDayintretail = zero free time). 

Why don't we do one piece per week through May/June?  By then we'll have our next book/s picked out, too.

(I like the idea of reading some Louise Erdrich - she's been on the shortlist many times - or Iabel Allende)

dulcinea3 wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

I just realized that we are already a week behind in starting these discussions.  It looks like Melissa hasn't been around in a couple of weeks - I hope everything is ok!  It wouldn't bother me if anyone wants to delay this.  I've been having some health issues of my own, and am also deep into Middlemarch and finding it slow going.  I did read the Austen last month, but would want to at least superficially reread anything as we discuss it.

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

By then we'll have our next book/s picked out, too.

(I like the idea of reading some Louise Erdrich - she's been on the shortlist many times - or Isabel Allende)

I'll let you choose the specific book, Melissa.  Moderator's privilege!

Laura

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

Sorry, I had a horrendous workweek (crazyhospitaljob + graduationweekend/Mother'sDayintretail = zero free time). 

Why don't we do one piece per week through May/June?  By then we'll have our next book/s picked out, too.

(I like the idea of reading some Louise Erdrich - she's been on the shortlist many times - or Iabel Allende)

dulcinea3 wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

That sounds fine, Melissa.  Maybe The Watsons and Sanditon could be split into separate weeks, too.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Dulci, 

The Doll was amazing and I think you would love it.  I read it late last year after reading Rebecca for the first time, which I enjoyed.  I almost liked The Doll more.  I would love to go over it again with others who are reading it as well.

dulcinea3 wrote:

The Doll  

Rebecca's Tale  

The Book of the City of Ladies  

The Girl Who Heard Dragons (Dragonriders of Pern Series)  

The Professor  

I just went through my TBR list, and above are a few that might be interesting:  The Doll is a new collection of 'lost' stories by Daphne du Maurier.  Rebecca's Tale is about the first Mrs. Dewinter.  The Book of the City of Ladies is, I believe, medieval literature; I don't know much more about it, but it's been on my shelf a long time.  The Girl Who Heard Dragons would be a sci-fi change of pace, by the late great Anne McCaffrey; this is a collection of short stories, and I don't think they are all Pern stories.  And The Professor is my last remaining Bronte TBR!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ryan, I'm glad to hear your good opinion of The Doll!  I've read a good amount of Du Maurier, so I'm looking forward to something 'new'.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi Milissa, and all...I've hesitated to join a discussions group, it seems I'm getting so critical in my old age, I hate to possibly mess up a discusion!  But, I would like to suggest a new author I've stumbled upon, Bernice L. McFadden.

I've read several of her books now, and love them all....but this one, The Warmest December, took me by surprise.  Powerful is a word I rarely use, but it says it all.

http://kathys-aliceinwonderland.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-warmest-december-novel-by.html

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

So is there nothing happening on this board anymore, or is it just temporary?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com