Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: State of Wonder - March 2013?

I will be here for the March read of State of Wonder !  I have had it on my wishlist, always thought it would be a great book. Can't wait to read it with everyone. The Amazon jungle looks good right now. Lol.  

Correspondent
streamsong

I thought I'd post the recently released longlist for this year's Women's Prize for Fiction (the former Orange Prize):

Kitty Aldridge - A Trick I Learned from Dead Men
Kate Atkinson - Life After Life
Ros Barber - The Marlowe Papers
Shani Boianjiu - The People of Forever are Not Afraid
Gillian Flynn - Gone Girl

Sheila Heti - How Should a Person Be?
A M Homes - May We Be Forgiven
Barbara Kingsolver - Flight Behavior
Deborah Copaken Kogen - The Red Book
Hilary Mantel -Bring Up the Bodies
Bonnie Nadzam - Lamb
Emily Perkins - The Forrests
Michèle Roberts - Ignorance
Francesca Segal - The Innocents
Maria Semple - Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Elif Shafak - Honour
Zadie Smith - NW
M L Stedman - The Light Between the Oceans
Carrie Tiffany - Mateship With Birds
G Willow Wilson - Alif the Unseen

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Thanks Streamsong, :smileyhappy:

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

I'll have the April schedule up this evening...

I left the book on the kitchen table at home.

Fail.

In the meantime, keep discussing State of Wonder and put your thinking caps on - it's time to pick books for the next few months. :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W

Suggestions for June and July 2013 books

I'd like to throw

The Song of Achilles  

Where'd You Go, Bernadette into the hat.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Correspondent
streamsong

Re: Suggestions for June and July 2013 books

Please Look after Mom 

I would read either of Melissa's suggestions.

In turn, I would like to nominate Please Look After Mom . I don't believe I've read anything by a Korean (North or South) author and know very little about the culture.

This won the 2011  Man Asian prize for fiction.

And ....May is Mother's Day in the US. . :smileylol: (How's that for emotional blackmail?)

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Where'd You Go Bernadette and Please Look After Mom look good to me.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

"Please look after Mom sounds great to me. I'he never read anything from Korea and I'm looking forward reading this particular book. 

Danielle 

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Schedule of June and July 2013 books

It seems the two more popular titles were Please Look After Mom and Where'd You Go Bernadette. :smileyhappy:

Now the only question left is the order!  Both books are about moms in some way and May is the month for Mother's Day.  Bernadette is a bit funnier than Please.  Since The Forgotten Garden is a bit "heavier" do you want to put the funny-ish book inbetween?  Let me know?

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Schedule of June and July 2013 books

Melissa_W wrote:

It seems the two more popular titles were Please Look After Mom and Where'd You Go Bernadette. :smileyhappy:

Now the only question left is the order!  Both books are about moms in some way and May is the month for Mother's Day.  Bernadette is a bit funnier than Please.  Since The Forgotten Garden is a bit "heavier" do you want to put the funny-ish book inbetween?  Let me know?

Sure, let's put the funnier book between the heavier books.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

Re: Schedule of June and July 2013 books

Are we skipping May? The next book will be June?

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Re: Schedule of MAY and JUNE 2013 books

Good catch! I did mean may and June, so Bernadette for may and Please look after Mom for June. Thnks :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR

I am just back from a four day trip to N.Y. (from France). And of course while I was there I couldn't stop myself going into a Barnes and Nobles book store with my children (who hardly speak English) and ask for the May and June books. It was so exciting seeing all these books in English and not having to order them via internet struggling with an e-credit card number each time. I even mentioned to the selling clerk that I'll be reading those books with a B&N book club, but although he was very nice, he didn't comment on that. If I had been alone, I would have spent at least a few hours there. Fortunately the weather was very nice so we walked and walked and walked...and we all had a good time.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I'm so glad the weather for your trip was nice.  I've never been to NY and I can only imagine all the things you can see and enjoy just by walking around :smileyhappy:

chadadanielleKR wrote:

I am just back from a four day trip to N.Y. (from France). And of course while I was there I couldn't stop myself going into a Barnes and Nobles book store with my children (who hardly speak English) and ask for the May and June books. It was so exciting seeing all these books in English and not having to order them via internet struggling with an e-credit card number each time. I even mentioned to the selling clerk that I'll be reading those books with a B&N book club, but although he was very nice, he didn't comment on that. If I had been alone, I would have spent at least a few hours there. Fortunately the weather was very nice so we walked and walked and walked...and we all had a good time.

Melissa W.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: Schedule of MAY and JUNE 2013 books-spoiler!

So, as soon as I got the books from one of the N.Y. B&N book stores, I started reading them (while resting in my  N.Y.hotel room) and read part of the June book intead of the May book. When I came back home in France I realized my mistake and  had a look at the May book. And what a surprise!: both books are about a missing mom but this is the only similarity between these two books , so be re-assured and not disappointed : everything else is very different! Both books are very enjoyable! But I guess it's better to wait until late June so as to wholly draw comparisons between both books.

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

I'm enjoying Bernadette and am already wondering about July/August.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

We'll be working that out at the beginning of June.  Put your thinking caps on! :smileyhappy:

Redcatlady wrote:

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

We'll be working that out at the beginning of June.  Put your thinking caps on! :smileyhappy:

Redcatlady wrote:

Eliott Holt's You are One of Them seems good, and so does Karen Joy Fowler's latest.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Hello again! And a September schedule

Whew!  I was unable to log in to the book clubs for some time (actually, I was having a bit of trouble staying logged in to a number of other sites, so was likely an issue on my end) so after a thorough clean-out/update of all the software bits on my laptop I am now able to get logged in!

I've been doing a bit of thinking and, since the schedule has gone to pot and this is a great big anniversary for a certain author, I'd like to re-start the schedule with Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  I know it's a re-read for some/many of us but 2013 marks the 200th anniversary of its publication and I don't think a group titled Literature by Women should let that pass without marking it in some way (we didn't read Sense and Sensibility in 2011).

So we'll start out September with Pride and Prejudice and go from there!  Look for new threads very soon :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Hello again! And a September schedule

Sounds great, Melissa!  I don't know if I will reread it or not, but I know and love it so well!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia