Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: Hello again! And a September schedule

Even if you don't actually re-read it, I'm sure you can throw a few thoughts in here and there :smileyhappy:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Sounds great, Melissa!  I don't know if I will reread it or not, but I know and love it so well!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

''........Waiting to see if threads are really going to be set up before I make the committment of buying the book since my copy seems to have gone missing.

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

fine with me.

Danielle

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Threads are up and ready!

I dont' know if the Please Look After Mom threads are still pinned to the top of the board - according to the menu they aren't but according to what I see on the screen they are! :/  I'll have to enlist Alex to help me if the problem persists. 

Happy reading!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Congratulations, Alice Munro!

Runaway  

Dear Life  Alice Munro is the first Canadian to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature for her work in short stories.  We read her collection Runaway back in May 2010, making Munro the first Nobel winner in my lifetime that I've read before the announcement of the award.  Congrats to her!  Her latest collection, Dear Life, is now out in paperback.

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Happy Holidays!

Wishing all of you a very happy and warm holiday season!  Safe travels! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Holidays!

Thanks, Melissa! Same to you!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3

No more community!

Just read the news from B&N that they are shutting down the community message boards in less than a week. What a sad thing. Although this board has been inactive for a while now, I just wanted to pop in and say that I will miss all of the great discussions we have had here over the years. Melissa, you have been a great moderator! Goodbye to everyone who has made this group fun!

(See you on Goodreads!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR

Re: No more community!

Hard to believe. Indeed. We read such good books. For the past year, i have been studying for a Master degree in English civilisation and tourism in France and guess what! We had to write an essay on new zealander writers. One of those was Keri Hulme, who we read a few years ago. Soon, all the exams will be over and i'll go back to goodreads, the dickens project, actually. Best regards to you all.
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Just read the news from B&N that they are shutting down the community message boards in less than a week. What a sad thing. Although this board has been inactive for a while now, I just wanted to pop in and say that I will miss all of the great discussions we have had here over the years. Melissa, you have been a great moderator! Goodbye to everyone who has made this group fun!

(See you on Goodreads!)

I'm with you; I think I'll have to try Goodreads.  Goodbye, everyone!  ):

Jeff

Frequent Contributor
TerryV6
0 Kudos

We could all meet up over at Clubnook... http://clubnook.com/forum/forum.php
Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance

In case you didn’t see this message in the Harry Potter Book Club…..I wanted to post this on all the clubs for everyone to view.

It is with a heavy heart that we must part ways from our B&N Message board communities.  As of May 1st, we must pack our books and head for a new adventure.  This feels like......when your parents send you away for the summer, but we won't be making our way back to the comfort we had on the message boards.  We won't have the welcoming open arms of the friendly moderators on the various message boards!

As times change, things change too.  We have to adapt and make our way.  Change is never easy; and some people will have a hard time unless our friends show us some guidance. Even though we will be venturing onto something new, we need to stick together and share information to help those who need guidance along the way.

I joined the various book clubs back in 2010.  I found all the book clubs very useful and majority of the people friendly and willing to help out their fellow reader!

I am Thankful to everyone here that have provided their help and suggestions for new books to check out, and for the moderators who provided their time helping us throughout the years! 

I can't believe this is the end?  Where are we going to turn to for help or book suggestions now? :smileysurprised: Just when we know where to go and who to ask...it is taken away from us ::smileyindifferent::

I don't know about you, but I have been coming here daily to get ideas about new books to read from my fellow avid readers.  I also provided my 2 cents on how good a book was, so others could get an idea on weather a book was good or not.

I don't know the reason for the change, but it has me worried. :smileysad:  I simply love my Nook and the reason why I bought my Nook was because I knew that Barnes & Noble had a place (book clubs & Chat online) that I could feel comfortable knowing someone was there that could help, or give guidance when needed.

I think the Barnes & Noble communities are an awesome resource; from the moderators, to the readers.....everyone is a tight knit family; willing to help one another ::smileyhappy:

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I'll miss you all!!!

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I only found out today that the BNBC groups were being removed!  And then only because Ryan sent me a tweet :smileysad:

You all have been awesome readers and friends over the years and I found books I would never have read without you all to find and recommended them.  Many thanks!

Please keep in touch! 

If you are a Goodreads-er my profile is here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/312880-melissa (and I'll be making a shelf that has all the books we read on it!) - if we aren't already friends there please friend me :smileyhappy:

I am also on Riffle (https://read.rifflebooks.com/profiles/134464) and have the LbW books on a list there (https://read.rifflebooks.com/list/110219).

I still have my blog (balletbookworm.blogspot.com) and twitter (balletbookworm).

It was a great ride - hugs and kisses for all :smileyhappy: (and a tear or two)

Melissa W.