Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: New Booker Award Announced

"Aravind Adiga, 33, won the 40th Man Booker prize on Tuesday night for his debut novel, “The White Tiger,” a vivid exploration of India's class struggle told through the story of a village boy who becomes the chauffeur to a rich man."   NYT

The link on the Man Booker prize in turn contains a link to an article on an upcoming read: The Gathering by Anne Enright.  I found the article of interest; others may think it approaches containing spoilers too much, so this is a warning to those super-sensitive on that subject.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: New Booker Award Announced

Hmmm, that article was a little too spoiler-friendly wasn't it? :smileysurprised:

I guess I will need to read The White Tiger now - I'd been thinking about it since the Booker shortlist was announced.

Peppermill wrote:

"Aravind Adiga, 33, won the 40th Man Booker prize on Tuesday night for his debut novel, “The White Tiger,” a vivid exploration of India's class struggle told through the story of a village boy who becomes the chauffeur to a rich man."   NYT

The link on the Man Booker prize in turn contains a link to an article on an upcoming read: The Gathering by Anne Enright.  I found the article of interest; others may think it approaches containing spoilers too much, so this is a warning to those super-sensitive on that subject.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

National Book Award 2008 Nominees

Since we're on the subject of book awards, the National Book Awards nominees were announced this morning.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: National Book Award 2008 Nominees

Marilynne Robinson is an author to consider for this board. She writes a book about every twenty years or so. Housekeeping  , Gilead  , and Home   are her novels. The New York Times featured Housekeeping on their discussion group not long ago.

pedsphleb wrote:

Since we're on the subject of book awards, the National Book Awards nominees were announced this morning.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I think so, too (she's been on the nominations list a few times).  Not that I'm partial or anything since she teaches at Iowa and she's neighbors with my boss :smileywink:

Laurel wrote:

Marilynne Robinson is an author to consider for this board. She writes a book about every twenty years or so. Housekeeping  , Gilead  , and Home   are her novels. The New York Times featured Housekeeping on their discussion group not long ago.

pedsphleb wrote:

Melissa W.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Aha! Another chance to wield your power!

pedsphleb wrote:

I think so, too (she's been on the nominations list a few times).  Not that I'm partial or anything since she teaches at Iowa and she's neighbors with my boss :smileywink:

Laurel wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I believe it is Housekeeping that has gotten such high praise for its sentence structures -- as I recall, I read it for that reason, although I was not certain I experienced whatever the critic had to make that statement (nor am I certain I could find the article again).  I have also read and discussed Gilead

Laurel wrote:

Aha! Another chance to wield your power!

pedsphleb wrote:

Laurel wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Melissa -- thanks for this link.  I have passed it along to book club friends.

pedsphleb wrote:

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Emily Post

If you got a kick out of the convoluted etiquette among the "500" in Edith Wharton's early life, as reflected in The House of Mirth, try this new bio of Emily Post.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2008/10/20/081020crbo_books_kolbert?currentPage=all
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Contributor
D_L_Blanco
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm a single Latina

female from New York City that wrote her first book entitled, guess what? SINGLE LATINA FEMALE: Tale of Toxic Friend. It is inspired from a personal experience that I went through with a good friend, Monica, that turned out to be not such a good friend after all. Although, the friendship was toxic I walked away from it learning a lot. Mainly, don't become close with jealous and needy people because it's like a cancer that can eat away at your spirit.

I have been writing poetry since I was a teenager and fortunately still have all of my poems from then. Writing has always been therapeutic for me so writing about my situation with Monica was like a final cleansing for me, if you will. It was written in the first person form because I wanted to tell my story as if I were talking with a friend. I hope my readers will enjoy it and thank you for taking the time to read a little about myself.

D. L. Blanco

Single Latina Female  

www.authortree.com/dlblanco

www.myspace.com/dlblanco

D. L. Blanco
New User
Kera
0 Kudos

Hey everyone, newbie here!

So hopefully I am not off base by posting a bit about myself in hopes of making friends, but with the way life goes, I'm probably making a fool of myself. But here it goes anyway!

I am a stay at home wife that lives in the boon-docks! Currently we only have one vehicle so my husband takes it to work. I have no way to meet people and I am hoping to find some friends before I go off the deep end!! . . . though sometimes I wonder if I haven't already. I am currently reading the 10th book of the Left Behind Series by LaHaye and Jenkins and the 2nd book of the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.

There is more about me in my profile. Thanks for reading a little bit about me and I look forward to chating with you!  ^.^

XoXo

Kera

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Hey everyone, newbie here!

Kera -- welcome!

There are lots of interesting people to meet on these boards!  Hope you will join us on the choices that we are have selected for the next several months for Women's Literature or on other threads that are akin to your interests.  (Look for the thread on this board with its schedule through April or May if you haven't found it yet, or ask us for help.  We do enjoy helping new people find their way around these discussions.)

Pepper

PS -- FYI, I am one of those people who probably would go off the deep end if I read ten books by LaHaye and Jenkins and more than one of Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles, so I may not be a "friend"  that you will seek, but we may become interesting acquaintances!  :smileywink:  :smileysurprised:

Kera wrote:

So hopefully I am not off base by posting a bit about myself in hopes of making friends, but with the way life goes, I'm probably making a fool of myself. But here it goes anyway!

I am a stay at home wife that lives in the boon-docks! Currently we only have one vehicle so my husband takes it to work. I have no way to meet people and I am hoping to find some friends before I go off the deep end!! . . . though sometimes I wonder if I haven't already. I am currently reading the 10th book of the Left Behind Series by LaHaye and Jenkins and the 2nd book of the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.

There is more about me in my profile. Thanks for reading a little bit about me and I look forward to chating with you!  ^.^

XoXo

Kera

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Kera wrote:

XoXo

Kera

Ah well I can't stand the Left behinds, but I'veread all the Anne Rices.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Hi, Kera.

I'm almost at the end of Anne Rice's new book, Called out of Darkness. I think it's fascinating.

Laurel

Kera wrote:

XoXo

Kera

New User
Kera
0 Kudos

Hiiya!

Thanks to everyone for the welcome!

This is the first time I have ever used a discussion board and I couldn't figure out how to put multiple quotes from multiple posts into this reply so I will just use names!

Pepper- I have not found the thread for the books. I welcome any help in finding them. Under normal circumstances I would have no problem but I have super slow dial up internet. I snail covered in molasses going up hill in the middle of winter could move faster than my internet. So that makes it very difficult since this site is very slow to load. And as far as friends go, sometimes the people with the most opposite tastes give the best perspectives and the most interesting cavitations!

Tiggerbear & Laurel- it's a funny story of how I started reading Anne Rice. I had a friend that really liked Anne Rice back in high school and so I decided to read one of her books. I went to the bookstore and just bought one that sparked my interest. About halfway through the book I realized that it was the 7th book in the Vampire Chronicles; Blackwood Farm. LoL So I finished the book and really liked it and decided to start the series. I bought the first three books compiled into one. I started reading them in my senior year and go sidetracked halfway through the second. I picked it up about 2 years later and forgot everything I read and started over. I made it just a little further the second time and then had exams in college and put it down. Now about 2 years later I have restarted the series for the 3rd time and am about 50 pages into the second book once again! So now that I've made a short story painstakingly long, I am I finally out of things to say to bore you ^.^

Thanks again!

XoXo

Kera

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome!

Welcome, Kera! :smileyhappy:

The schedule for LbW is as follows:

October 2008:  Brick Lane by Monica Ali

November 2008:  The Gathering by Anne Enright

December 2008/January 2009:  The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe

February 2009:  Silas Marner by George Eliot

March 2009:  Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather

Feel free to jump on in!

Melissa W.
New User
Kera
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

pedsphleb wrote:

Welcome, Kera! :smileyhappy:

Feel free to jump on in!

That saved me about an hour of searching! I think I will pick up in November since October is pretty much over! Thank you!

XoXo

Kera

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

Melissa -- thank you for the list of upcoming selections for Kera.  

Kera -- at the moment I did that last post, I didn't take the time either to find our list of either upcoming or earlier selections.  Melissa has been kind enough to fill the void.

This link should take you to the thread that describes the history of selections on this board.

Literature for Women: Previous Reading Selections

I quite agree that differences can create some of the most interesting relationships, which is one of the reasons I chose to jump in with a welcome!

Pepper

pedsphleb wrote:

Welcome, Kera!  :smileyhappy:

Feel free to jump on in!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Hiiya!

Kera wrote:  This is the first time I have ever used a discussion board and I couldn't figure out how to put multiple quotes from multiple posts into this reply so I will just use names!

The way you did it is fine.  But if you want to include mutliple quotes, perhaps the easiest way is to click on the "View discussion in popup" link right below the "Submit Post" icon.  Then you'll get a separate tab or window (depending on how your browser is set up) with the thread you're responding to, and you can toggle back and forth between that  window and your reply window to cut and paste from various posts.

However, what you did is just as good if you find it easier.

Welcome to the discussion!

0 Kudos

HOW TO TELL IF ANY SITE IS DOWN

[ Edited ]

I know some of you had trouble with this site recently. Use this:

www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com

My first sentence above should NOT be a link. 

Message Edited by foxycat on 10-25-2008 02:20 PM
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde