Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

Remind me about THE SPARROW next time we discuss schedule

[ Edited ]

One of my fellow booksellers - who knows about this group - has suggested Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow as a future group read.  I think it would be a good fit (I perused GoodReads for a bit) so remind me later when we talk reading schedules. :smileywink:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

[ Edited ]

Melissa, to read something different and amusing, read this. Thanks!

***Content removed by LbW moderator - inappropriate material.***

Melissa_W

Einstein,

The subject matter of your book is inappropriate for this group.  Please only post about your work in the "Read My Book" thread where I have moved your previous posts.  Future posts will be deleted.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi!  Just wondering about the discussions.  It looks like people are still discussing the last book.  I just read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and deciding on what comes next.  Is there any interest in the McCaffrey book, The Girl Who Heard Dragons?  It sounded like Melissa and I were the only two interested.  If it's still on, when do you want to start?  I'm afraid of the same thing happening like with the last Austen (minor works), where I went ahead and read it, and by the time the discussions were posted, I was on to something else and couldn't find the time to review them closely enough to come up with much to say.  If you still want to read it, but later in the month, I can put off starting it a bit (have plenty else to read!), or if you want to just drop it because nobody else wants to read it, that's fine, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I was going to throw up the threads tomorrow. :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ok, Melissa, I'll start reading it tonight! :cathappy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

October/November 2012

I feel like I need to beg off for September - we have a huge grant due and another big study winding down at work so its going to be hard for me to remember to get a book read etc. in September (not to mention that we haven't got a book lined up - my bad, since I can't remember to do anything right now).

So how about we regroup for October and November?  I know at one point we tossed around Daphne du Maurier's The Doll for the fall, any other suggestions?

Melissa W.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: October/November 2012

That's fine with me, Melissa - you deserve a break!  I've already got three or four books lined up for September, anyway.  I have to stop joining GR groups, because I can't keep up with all that I want to read!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I loved The Doll so I would enjoy the conversation.  I hope one day we can read Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie

Melissa_W wrote:

So how about we regroup for October and November?  I know at one point we tossed around Daphne du Maurier's The Doll for the fall, any other suggestions?

I am reminding you of The Sparrow.

The Sparrow  

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

OMG, yes!!  Thank you, Laura! :smileyvery-happy:  The Sparrow is definitely one to stay at the top of the list.  (See, this is what happens when I don't write things down, lol)

Fozzie wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

I am reminding you of The Sparrow.

The Sparrow  

Melissa W.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

The Doll is fine for me. I just found this review from the Gardian.  The stories sound promissing.

Danielle

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

So, seeing no other suggestions/argument, I'll put The Doll on the schedule for October and then The Sparrow for November (yay!).  Ryan suggested Ship of Fools - should be put it on the schedule for December or wait until January? (I've never read Katherine Anne Porter, but always meant to - thoughts?)

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

So, seeing no other suggestions/argument, I'll put The Doll on the schedule for October and then The Sparrow for November (yay!).  Ryan suggested Ship of Fools - should be put it on the schedule for December or wait until January? (I've never read Katherine Anne Porter, but always meant to - thoughts?)

I vote wait until January for Ship of Fools.  It is long!

Laura

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Oh, yes, that's a good point! 

Fozzie wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

Melissa W.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I think January would be better for the same reason.... I'm just excited to finally read it.

Melissa_W wrote:

Oh, yes, that's a good point! 

Fozzie wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

October, November, and January!

So, here's our schedule:

October: The Doll by Daphne du Maurier (almost typed Rebecca du Maurier - oops!)

November:  The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

January 2013:  Ship of Fools by Katherine Ann Porter

December is a busy month for all of us but even if we don't have an official group read, I'd like us to share our favorite holiday stories - of all types :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: October, November, and January!

I'm in for The Doll!  And I love holiday stuff, so I will participate in that, too!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: October, November, and January!

I'm in for October and January!

Wordsmith
Fozzie

[ Edited ]

The Round House  

There is going to be a discussion thread for this book on the B&N Fiction board this month.  I thought it might be of interest here since we read The Master Butcher's Singing Club.

Laura