New User
Currer_Bell
0 Kudos

Re: New to Book Club

I just joined the book club. I am also part of a local book club in my area and I've had a good experience so far...nothing like in the NY Times article. I think I'm becoming addicted to book clubs!

I used to participate in classes when Barnes and Noble used to have the 'university' but haven't been on the site since.

I'm trying to catch up...just finished Volume I and starting on Volume II and I'm gotten really into the book now.

Hoping to contribute to some discussion later...there's already been some great insight to Volume I.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Welcome.  With that screen name, it's pretty easy to know who YOUR favorite author is!  :smileywink:

Jump in with your comments anytime.  New voices are always warmly welcomed.

Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Welcome, Currer!  Feel free to comment on Volume I and II as you go along. :smileyhappy:

PS:  I love your username.

Currer_Bell wrote:

I just joined the book club. I am also part of a local book club in my area and I've had a good experience so far...nothing like in the NY Times article. I think I'm becoming addicted to book clubs!

I used to participate in classes when Barnes and Noble used to have the 'university' but haven't been on the site since.

I'm trying to catch up...just finished Volume I and starting on Volume II and I'm gotten really into the book now.

Hoping to contribute to some discussion later...there's already been some great insight to Volume I.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Mamma Mia

I watched the film of the play Mamma Mia yesterday afternoon and found it very life-affirming, especially from a woman's perspective. The bonus items on the making of the film are also very interesting from a women's standpoint. Has anyone seen it?  It is a bit 'raunchy' but very enjoyable.  I understand that some folks are having 'Mamma Mia' parties where they sing and dance along to the film!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

Fiction Reading Increases for Adults

It would be nice to think that resources like these book clubs may be an aid to the statistics reported -- or, at least, that they will in the future.

(I am posting this on Epics, Etc. and Classics boards as well.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

I read that this morning - huzzah for reading fiction! :smileyvery-happy:

Peppermill wrote:
Fiction Reading Increases for Adults

It would be nice to think that resources like these book clubs may be an aid to the statistics reported -- or, at least, that they will in the future.

(I am posting this on Epics, Etc. and Classics boards as well.)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

I just lost  3-paragraph reply when "Authentication failed." What's going on here?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

I hate to type, but the essence of my reply was that MM was delightful and very much in favor of the independent woman.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re : Silas Marner next?

Melissa:  Am I right in thinking that Silas Marner by George Eliot is our next read?  I hope so because I have just ordered it!:smileyhappy:
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Re: Re : Silas Marner next?

Yes, Maria had it on the announcements this week.

Choisya wrote:
Melissa:  Am I right in thinking that Silas Marner by George Eliot is our next read?  I hope so because I have just ordered it!:smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Its downloaded on my kindle, ready for action!

Choisya wrote:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Now don't boast about your Kindle or I will get jealous!:smileysurprised:  I have an Ectaco but it is nowhere near as good:smileysad:   I am hoping that the economic recession will force someone into releasing Kindle in the UK. 

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I am surprised the Kindle isn't available in Europe, but I am sure that it is on Jeff Bezo's agenda! Maybe he's still waiting for it to be more mainstream over here.

Choisya wrote:

Now don't boast about your Kindle or I will get jealous!:smileysurprised:  I have an Ectaco but it is nowhere near as good:smileysad:   I am hoping that the economic recession will force someone into releasing Kindle in the UK. 

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Electronic Books

Bezo apparently had a huge backlog he couldn't fill for Christmas.

debbook wrote:
I am surprised the Kindle isn't available in Europe, but I am sure that it is on Jeff Bezo's agenda! Maybe he's still waiting for it to be more mainstream over here.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Electronic Books

I ordered mine right before Thanksgiving and was told I wouldn't get it until Feb but I ended up getting it a week before Christmas. So anyone that ordered a month ahead of time got it for Christmas. Part of the big bump was Oprah's endorsement. Of course!

Peppermill wrote:

Bezo apparently had a huge backlog he couldn't fill for Christmas.

debbook wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I don't understand it because the UK would be an extremely good market for them - we read more books per capita than the US and what electronics books there have been, like the recent Sony, have flown off the shelves.   

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

They're trying to get a wireless deal that will work throughout Europe. Not easy to do, I guess.

Choisya wrote:

I don't understand it because the UK would be an extremely good market for them - we read more books per capita than the US and what electronics books there have been, like the recent Sony, have flown off the shelves.   

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Hey, it's tough out there in Iowa!

[ Edited ]

Don't mess with librarians from Iowa!  They used to send Dewey out after delinquent patrons with claws sharpened and poised, but since his death, they send the cops instead.

An Iowa woman has been arrested because she failed to return a library book.

Thirty-nine-year-old Shelly Koontz was arrested Thursday night on a fifth-degree theft charge. She is accused of keeping "The Freedom Writers Diary," which she checked out from the public library in nearby Jesup in April.

Police say the book—which is about a high school teacher's effort to inspire students to write—is valued at $13.95.

Court records show library employees tried repeatedly to contact Koontz by phone and mail. A police officer even visited her home last September.

Officials at the Buchanan County jail say Koontz was released after posting $250 bond.

Message Edited by Everyman on 01-25-2009 01:08 PM
0 Kudos

Re: Re : Kindle for the UK.

Good! Please keep me posted Laurel - I see you as my Kindle Liaison Officer:smileyhappy:.  

Laurel wrote:
They're trying to get a wireless deal that will work throughout Europe. Not easy to do, I guess.

Choisya wrote:

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Re : A feminist backlash?

This BBC Radio 4 broadcast this week may interest LbWers.