Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Moving Forward

Melissa.  I think I'm moving to the next section of this book, just in reading.  Seems as though I might be slogging this discussion down with my speculations and analytical reports on these characters, in this first part....and I haven't even finished with them! LOL.  At any rate, I'm sure these characters will live on without my couch! (Although, they might have to be put on Prozac!)

K.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

You're not slogging anything down( though not really sure what slogging is,lol). This first part of the book is nothing but questions so we have to analyze and speculate. With this book, we might still have alot of questions at the end. There is a lot to analyze with the characters in the second part, Freud's head would explode:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:

Melissa.  I think I'm moving to the next section of this book, just in reading.  Seems as though I might be slogging this discussion down with my speculations and analytical reports on these characters, in this first part....and I haven't even finished with them! LOL.  At any rate, I'm sure these characters will live on without my couch! (Although, they might have to be put on Prozac!)

K.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Kathy -- I am enjoying what you and others have been doing with "Ideal Children" and hope you won't abandon posting on that section.  Just haven't been particularly helpful myself this week.

"to work hard and steadily" -- this is the meaning I ascribed to your use of "slogging," although I, like Deb, am uncertain about "slogging down." 

debbook wrote:
You're not slogging anything down( though not really sure what slogging is,lol). This first part of the book is nothing but questions so we have to analyze and speculate. With this book, we might still have alot of questions at the end. There is a lot to analyze with the characters in the second part, Freud's head would explode:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:

K.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Slogging

Morning, Deb in NY!  

The word, slogging...not sure why I  wrote that word.  I guess I was feeling like I was going to have to pass out waders, or a pair of Choisya's Wellies, if people wanted to read some of my thoughts on these characters.  "Oh, no, not another one of Kathy's Freudian discussions."  I've spent too much time on Ilana's board, I think! LOL  Or else, last night, I was just tired of being in my OWN head!  I'll save some of these thoughts of mine for later... Now I need to go back to bed.  I went to sleep at 1a.m., and woke at 4 - couldn't get back to sleep! 

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

Pepper, more like I was feeling "bogged down" last night, in my own "slogging" HA!  Just me, just tired.  It's nothing personal about the board.  It's all  been really great so far!  I just need to take a day or two to read more of this book.  Lots to go!

Kathy

Peppermill wrote:

Kathy -- I am enjoying what you and others have been doing with "Ideal Children" and hope you won't abandon posting on that section.  Just haven't been particularly helpful myself this week.

"to work hard and steadily" -- this is the meaning I ascribed to your use of "slogging," although I, like Deb, am uncertain about "slogging down." 

debbook wrote:

KathyS wrote:

K.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

You guys have lost me - what are you talking about?  Or has the second page of another thread somehow been stuck onto this thread?  Although the thread title on your posts still says THE BOOK NOOK.  But this conversation seems to have entirely changed from the first page to the second, and now you're talking about some specific book.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: Book Junkies! Enablers! Selecting Books to Discuss Together!

Margaret Drabble is also the sister of AS Byatt. :smileyhappy:

Everyman wrote:

I always get a bit of a start when I see the name of somebody I know from one context show up in a totally different context.  I know Drabble well from the Oxford Companion, but had no idea she was a novelist.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kathy, I don't think you need to worry about slowing (or slogging) down the discussion or anything - that's just the nature of Part 1.  It's slow and meandering and in places pretty confusing.  I have a feeling the discussion will pick up a bit when we start talking about Part 2 and Lucas.  It's much easier to read, more straight forward, and very compelling (except for Bellamy's letters to Fr. Damien which I still find irritating - they make me feel sorry for Fr. Damien!)

Message Edited by Jon_B on 09-05-2008 10:02 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Dulcinea's Dilemma!

dulcinea3 wrote:
You guys have lost me - what are you talking about?  Or has the second page of another thread somehow been stuck onto this thread?  Although the thread title on your posts still says THE BOOK NOOK.  But this conversation seems to have entirely changed from the first page to the second, and now you're talking about some specific book.

Dulcinea, The Book Nook, I assumed, is just the name of this new Community Room....

I addressed what I was saying to Melissa as, Moving Forward, only because at that moment thought I would start reading the second section of The Green Knight, instead of continuing to post in the first section of it.

As you follow the thread, Deb replied to me, I replied to her, and Pepper replied, etc.  I changed the subject from Moving Forward to, Slogging, because Pepper gave a definition of that word, and I addressed that subject.  It was just a running conversation about the discussion board we are currently on, The Green Knight.  I didn't want to stop the flow of that discussion thread, within the discussion, to comment on my feelings I was having about making further posts about these characters.  That's why I brought it over here to the Com. Rm.,  to talk more openly about my feelings as to my posting and reading.  I'm really sorry if this confused you.

Any time you want to start a new topic of discussion in this Community Room, just type a topic header into the subject line.  That way we pretty much know what we are all talking about.  If we all leave just  "The Book Nook", alone,  in the header, then nobody really knows the content of each other's  message.  I should have just taken it out, but it didn't seem important at the time.

I hope this explains what this conversation was about.

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

The Knight's Second Section...posting

Jon, why did you post  this clear down here? LOL  But thanks for your thoughts, though.

I was just having the feeling I was getting to much into these characters' heads, and felt the need to move on, for whatever reason.  I am anxious to start reading this new section, and it takes my whole concentration to read this book!  It's already Friday, and I haven't even started that section.  I do like to keep up with everyone else.

When I posting on this second section, and because it is quit long, I do feel we'll need to qualify in the headers, giving a reference to what we are posting.  I/we definitely don't want to be reading someone else's posts that will give things away that I/we haven't as yet come to in this section.  This book isn't exactly broken down into the run of the mill chapters!  I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to spoilers.  I like the element of surprise, but not that kind! HA!

Kathy

Jon_B wrote:

Kathy, I don't think you need to worry about slowing (or slogging) down the discussion or anything - that's just the nature of Part 1.  It's slow and meandering and in places pretty confusing.  I have a feeling the discussion will pick up a bit when we start talking about Part 2 and Lucas.  It's much easier to read, more straight forward, and very compelling (except for Bellamy's letters to Fr. Damien which I still find irritating - they make me feel sorry for Fr. Damien!)

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: The Knight's Second Section...posting

I agree, the length of these sections makes it more difficult to keep track of who has read how far - since Part 2 is so long its unreasonable to expect everyone to have finished it soon and so we should keep spoilers from later parts of the section out of the discussion for at least the first few days.  Maybe we could divide it up by page number or something?

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Yes, page numbering is probably the most logical thing to do.  That is, if everyone is reading the same paperback.  I assumed we were.  The first section was 70 pages, this next one will be 224 pages (to page 294)  We could break it either in half, or in approx.. thirds?  Wherever it seems logical, I guess.  I'll leave that up to you people to decide.  If each of us starts posting the page numbers randomly, it could get messy on the board.  I wouldn't want to see that happen.  It would have to be broken down into Page Number Header Goups.

Anyway, just a thought,

Kathy

Jon_B wrote:

I agree, the length of these sections makes it more difficult to keep track of who has read how far - since Part 2 is so long its unreasonable to expect everyone to have finished it soon and so we should keep spoilers from later parts of the section out of the discussion for at least the first few days.  Maybe we could divide it up by page number or something?

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Great idea!  I would support breaking it up by pages.  Maybe someone who has read the whole section or book could suggest a mid-week breaking point.

KathyS wrote:

Yes, page numbering is probably the most logical thing to do.  That is, if everyone is reading the same paperback.  I assumed we were.  The first section was 70 pages, this next one will be 224 pages (to page 294)  We could break it either in half, or in approx.. thirds?  Wherever it seems logical, I guess.  I'll leave that up to you people to decide.  If each of us starts posting the page numbers randomly, it could get messy on the board.  I wouldn't want to see that happen.  It would have to be broken down into Page Number Header Goups.

Anyway, just a thought,

Kathy

Jon_B wrote:

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

Jon, I was thinking the same thing about Fr Damien.:smileyhappy: He must be very annoyed with Bellamy. The guy's a priest but also human, how much can he take. Maybe he'll stamp 'return to sender' if he keeps getting too many more of these letters.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I didn't have TGK downstairs this afternoon and had some other reading to get done for this evening, so am a little slow in responding.  But, since no one else has yet, if you still want to split section 2, "Justice," for the sake of discussion, I would suggest pausing just before what I call the "Anax (the dog) story."  In my copy (Penquin), that begins on page 182 ("Anax had....been obsessed with one great thought...." ) and runs into page 197 ("his invitation to the birthday party" ).  It might be more logical to read through the "Anax story," but that would unbalance the amount of text.

I wonder if anyone else is giving each little section a title as they read?  To find things again, I find myself annotating with a title that is usually the chief participants in the dialogue in that section, such as "Clement and Lucas" or "Bellamy and Peter" or ....

If you want a separate thread, I would suggest sending a private message to Melissa.  Her work load is such that she doesn't always get a chance to stay current with all is posted on a day-to-day basis.

Pepper

PS -- I encourage everyone to use the OUTDENT to maximize your post's width when the editor doesn't do it automatically (as it frequently does not).

Fozzie wrote:

Great idea!  I would support breaking it up by pages.  Maybe someone who has read the whole section or book could suggest a mid-week breaking point.

KathyS wrote:

Anyway, just a thought,

Kathy

Jon_B wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Yes, Yes, please please OUTDENT!   Otherwise it takes absolutely ages to scroll down the posts:smileysurprised:  If posts come up indented just highlight them and click on the Outdent icon below Message Subject (fifth from the right). 

Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

I haven't read anything by Margaret Drabble but see that her "Red Queen"  and "The Radiant Way" are both part of Peter Boxall's "1001 Books to Read Before You Die".

Yes, I'm keeping track of the 1001 but I'm not obsessive. I'm rather hoping that it will work like Jasper Fforde's Granny Next who isn't allowed to die until she's read her list of books.

KathyS
0 Kudos

I don't use this function, but I'll be aware of it from now on.  Thanks.  I just try to delete the posts (or parts of the posts) in my replies, that don't pertain to what I'm talking about.  I also delete those extra blue lines that seem to accumulate at the end of quoted posts, and pull the one left, up tight into the text.

Choisya wrote:

Yes, Yes, please please OUTDENT!   Otherwise it takes absolutely ages to scroll down the posts:smileysurprised:  If posts come up indented just highlight them and click on the Outdent icon below Message Subject (fifth from the right). 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Pepper, I assumed Melissa, as well as Jon, have been reading all of these posts, and figured that one of them would take the initiative to break up this next section, if all were in agreement that it was necessary.  I don't 'title' these pages, I just stick post-its in the places I want to talk about, then type that reference in my message subject header.  Your suggestions, as to breaking the threads in the appropriate places, is a good one.  I haven't read the book, so I wouldn't know where these sections should fall.

Maybe you wouldn't mind finding a way to resolve this?  I would have just arbitrarily sectioned it off by page numbers, approx. thirds.  I hadn't thought it would be crucial, as to the context, to where it was broken.  But your logic sounds better than mine! :smileyhappy:  (that is, if you agree that this section should be split up)  I'm just following the leaders on this one! HA! 

K.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Margaret Drabble (born in my home town:smileyhappy:) is popular over here.  The Radiant Way is one of her best I think.

streamsong wrote:

I haven't read anything by Margaret Drabble but see that her "Red Queen"  and "The Radiant Way" are both part of Peter Boxall's "1001 Books to Read Before You Die".

Yes, I'm keeping track of the 1001 but I'm not obsessive. I'm rather hoping that it will work like Jasper Fforde's Granny Next who isn't allowed to die until she's read her list of books.