Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

In custody

Hi,

I have just read this book: "In Custody"

written by Anita Desai, shortlisted for the Booker prize in 1984.

It is such a wonderful book about India, Poetry, Poverty and hope.

Incidentally, she is the mother of Kiran Desai whose book we read a while ago. "In custody" is better I think.

I wonder why we came across any of her books before...

Next time, I hope!

Best regards to all of you.

Danielle

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: In custody

Keep it in mind for February and/or March!  :smileyhappy: 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

NOOK Daily Find 11/8/12 - THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD

Their Eyes Were Watching God - for a limited time, likely only today 11/8, Zora Neale Hurston's classic novel is available for $1.99 on NOOK.  Very LbW appropriate :smileyhappy:  

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Daily Find 11/8/12 - THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD

I highly recommand reading this book. Very very powerful!

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best wishes and safe travels for Thanksgiving!  May you have a relaxing weekend with family, friends, and lots of good food :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks Melissa, Wish you a Happy Thanksgiving day too !
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks, Melissa!  Hope you had a great holiday!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Merry Christmas!

May your holidays be bright! Thanks for another great year :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
dulcinea3

Re: Merry Christmas!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!!!  I have a college friend staying with me, and we had a nice day - made roast beef and Yorkshire pudding - yum!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Merry Christmas to all!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year  Everyone !  

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Ideas for March/April 2013

Sorry i've been a bit behind-hand here - we had a grant due at work that required alot of over time to get it in.

So, we need suggestions for books to read in March or April.  I've been looking at:

The Song of Achilles by Madeleine Miller (winner of the Orange Prize)

The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones (an excellent read for fans of Downton Abbey)

Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel (winner of the Booker Prize - we've tossed it around before as an idea) 

The Giver by Lois Lowry (amazing YA classic that I've been meaning to re-read)

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons 

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (we read her previous work, Bel Canto, a few years ago)

Any other ideas?

Melissa W.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for March/April 2013

[ Edited ]

I read The Uninvited Guests last year, and loved it more than I thought I would.  I think you guys would enjoy it.  And Wolf Hall cracked me up, becuase I had it on my shelves for a long time, and just got rid of it last week because I thought I would never read it.  I believe I have given up on historical fiction.  I've also read State of Wonder back in 2011 and really enjoyed it as well.

Another book I would suggest is Gillespie and I by Jane Harris.  I read it last year as well, and it was my favorite book of the year.  I would love to read it as a group if anyone else was interested in it.

And I was curious to see if anyone would be interested in The Unseen by Katherine Webb.  I read The Legacy, and loved it and would like to read her newest book as well.

I've never read anything by Kate Morton, and I would be interested in reading her.  I've only read one Sarah Waters book, and think one of hers would be a good choice as well.

Gillespie and I  

The Unseen  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Melissa & Ryan,   I agree a State of Wonder looks good. 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I would vote for State of Wonder, Gillespie and I, or something by Kate Morton.

Laura

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

I will follow your choice. However,  I really enjoyed reading Bel Canto when we did and I would be curious to discover another of her books.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

State of Wonder - March 2013?

Ok, so it seems everyone was most positive/mentioned-this-title-the-most about reading State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - so we'll put that on the schedule for March.

Which gives us a bit of breathing room for April since there were many titles suggested.  I think Kate Morton had the most buzz - The House at Riverton (her debut novel) was one of the first First Look choices.  Do you want to read her debut or one of the others?  THaR was very readable and I've not read her others.

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: State of Wonder - March 2013?

Melissa_W wrote:

Ok, so it seems everyone was most positive/mentioned-this-title-the-most about reading State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - so we'll put that on the schedule for March.

Which gives us a bit of breathing room for April since there were many titles suggested.  I think Kate Morton had the most buzz - The House at Riverton (her debut novel) was one of the first First Look choices.  Do you want to read her debut or one of the others?  THaR was very readable and I've not read her others.

I don't think we should read The House at Riverton since that has already been discussed on the B&N forums.  I would suggest The Forgotten Garden or The Distant Hours since those are available in paperback.  I would lean toward The Forgotten Garden since that is her second book and seems to have received marginally better reviews than The Distant Hours.

Laura

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I like the plot synopsis of The Forgotten Garden.

Fozzie wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

I don't think we should read The House at Riverton since that has already been discussed on the B&N forums.  I would suggest The Forgotten Garden or The Distant Hours since those are available in paperback.  I would lean toward The Forgotten Garden since that is her second book and seems to have received marginally better reviews than The Distant Hours.

Melissa W.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm okay with either Kate Morton book

Melissa_W wrote:

I like the plot synopsis of The Forgotten Garden.

Fozzie wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com