Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Book Junkies! Enablers! Selecting Books to Discuss Together!

I like that we can nominate books and vote on them.  The only improvement I can think of is to have a two step voting process.  In the first step, we narrow the nominations down to about 10 books and in the second vote we narrow the 10 books down to 3 or 4.

I prefer to read modern books and will continue to nominate that type of book, but am open to reading anything that interests me.

Peppermill wrote:

Thought I'd see if it is possible to have a discussion on how we select books together -- this is certainly not a smooth opening gambit, but am wondering if others have thoughts they are willing to share.  I like a lot of things about what we do, e.g., nominations, a time and place to lobby for suggestions, voting, selecting for several months at one time, some moderator discretion on the process.... 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

I thought The Story of Edgar Sawtelle was wonderful!

I bought The Gargoyle too.  I thought it would be fun to read around Halloween.

I noticed that The Time Traveler's Wife will be discussed on the Romantic Reads board next month.  Now there is one I could take of my to-be-read shelves!  Hopefully I will have time.

As for me, I try to read only one book at a time, at most three.  Right now I am reading:

The Green Knight, War and Peace (almost done!), and want to get to The Seamstress before I start Brick Lane, The Condition, and The Time Traveler's Wife for next month.  I would love to squeeze in Beijing China too.  I read about 40 pages of it and it is fascinating.

pedsphleb wrote:

As a fun (or scary) exercise, I thought it would be fun to list all the books I'm currently reading.  Maybe this will give me the impetus to finish a batch!

The Green Knight by Iris Murdoch (obviously)

Feather Man by Rhyll McMaster

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

The Dead Father by Donald Barthelme

Villette by Charlotte Bronte

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel

How to Read Novels Like a Professor by Thomas Foster

The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Why We Read Fiction by Lisa Zunshine

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

The Millenium Problems by Keith Devlin

How Beautiful it is and How Easily it Can by Broken by Daniel Mendelsohn

I need to start Brick Lane by Monica Ali (for October) and I'm going to get Home by Marilynne Robinson this week (my boss has already read the advance copy because she's neighbors with the author)

Laura

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Laura, if you don't get to The Time Traveler's wife next month, The Fiction Club will be reading it in December and I am going to beg the author to join us.

I have to finish TGK and by the end of the month read MacBeth, Brick Lane, The Meaning of Night and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow if I want to participate in all the book clubs that I am planning on.

I am also reading Moloka'i and The Lace Reader.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Wow...look what I found today!

[ Edited ]

I was returning a book to the library, today, and as I was walking out the front door, I stopped, as I saw some of the used books that our library's "Friends of The Library" had for sale.  One dollar, or less.  Of course I couldn't just walk by them.  I bought five books. 

Here is one of them:

British Poetry and Prose. Copyright, 1928

Houghton Mifflin Company

As I opened the book, it fell to this page.

THE FAERIE QUEENE

Containing the ledgend of the knight of the red crosse, or of holinesse

lo! I, the man whose Muse whylome did

maske,

As time her taught, in lowly Shepherds

weeds,

Am now enforst, a farre unfitter taske,

For trumpets sterne to chaunge min Oaten

reeds,

And sing of Knights and Ladies gentle

deeds;

Whose praises having slept in silence long,

Me, all too meane, the sacred Muse areeds

To blazon broade emongst her learned

throng:

Fierce warres and faithful loves shall moralize my song.

I'm not sure what all of this/words means, but it reminded me of Moy, and these girls....And the Knight.  I flipped back the pages of this book, and they, again, fell open.  And this is what I read:

SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT

(No, I haven't looked up and read the URL references.  I've seen some of what you talk about, in referrence to Sir Gawain [your posts within the discussion threads of this first section], but didn't know what the name Sir Gawain means to this discussion of The Green Knight.  So, some of what you talk about, I'm in the dark about, because I hadn't bothered to look up your referrences.)

It just shocked me when I saw this.  It's so foreign, the language!  It breaks words down, but the translations are never ending!

Isn't it funny, coming upon this book....coincidence, or not?  And to open on these pages, out of a 1,346 page book?

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 09-06-2008 04:23 PM
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: The Knight's Second Section...posting

...I assumed Melissa, as well as Jon, have been reading all of these posts, and figured that one of them would take the initiative to break up this next section, if all were in agreement that it was necessary.

Kathy -- They do or probably will (read all these posts), it is just that many of us know that Melissa's work load sometimes overwhelms, so a PM can be a heads-up for something that we want to get to her attention immediately.  

Since I have read TGK, I am not going to request a splitting of the threads for this week, but I certainly think the idea is reasonable.  I will try to be alert about spoilers, although I am one of those people who seldom considers that a "spoiler" need to "spoil" one's reading.

KathyS wrote:

Pepper, I assumed Melissa, as well as Jon, have been reading all of these posts, and figured that one of them would take the initiative to break up this next section, if all were in agreement that it was necessary.  I don't 'title' these pages, I just stick post-its in the places I want to talk about, then type that reference in my message subject header.  Your suggestions, as to breaking the threads in the appropriate places, is a good one.  I haven't read the book, so I wouldn't know where these sections should fall.

Maybe you wouldn't mind finding a way to resolve this?  I would have just arbitrarily sectioned it off by page numbers, approx. thirds.  I hadn't thought it would be crucial, as to the context, to where it was broken.  But your logic sounds better than mine! :smileyhappy:  (that is, if you agree that this section should be split up)  I'm just following the leaders on this one! HA! 

K.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

What Fiction Club?  Here on B&N?  News to me!  Thanks!

I really liked The Meaning of Night.

I bought The Lace Reader too.  It looks intriguing!

debbook wrote:

Laura, if you don't get to The Time Traveler's wife next month, The Fiction Club will be reading it in December and I am going to beg the author to join us.

I have to finish TGK and by the end of the month read MacBeth, Brick Lane, The Meaning of Night and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow if I want to participate in all the book clubs that I am planning on.

Laura

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Book Junkies! Enablers! Selecting Books to Discuss Together!

Everyman -- would you share more about West with the Night over on the nominations board?  It sounds interesting, but easy to overlook among the possibilities.

Everyman wrote:

Thought I'd see if it is possible to have a discussion on how we select books together

Good idea.

I just sent a list of suggestions to Melissa.  Thinking about, it breaks down into several main categories.

1.  Books I have found rewarding to read in the past and would like to have a reason to re-read with the added attraction of a discussion with this group of great discussants.  (It's different for me being in a discussion which is predominantly female; you often have significantly different ways of looking at books which open whole new dimensions for me.)  In this group as examples are any Jane Austen and almost any George Eliot. 

2.  Books which I want to read but haven't gotten around to and probably won't without the impetus of their being on the schedule here.  Examples are some books of Virginia Woolf and Ayn Rand that have been on the TBR shelf for a long time but haven't yet migrated off of it.  Also in this category is Radcliffe's Mysteries of Udolpho; it keeps being mentioned and I have it on my Kindle, but I haven't yet pulled it up into the reading queue.  (With over 300 books on the Kindle, it'll take a while to get through all these even without downloading more!)

3.  Just plain enjoyable books that I think it would be fun to share with other booklovers.  An example is West with the Night.  Not a particularly deep book, but a very pleasant read and a chance to look at the life of a fascinating woman.  

One problem is deciding in some of these cases which book of a particular author to suggest for the list.  If people want to read Woolf, but four or five of her books wind up on the list, it's likely that the vote for her will be split among them and none of them may make it.   I don't know what to do about that except maybe during the lobbying phase for those who want to read a particular author to hold an informal mini-vote on which of hers to put on the final list and take the others off for this round.  Just a possible suggestion.  

It was a good question, Pepper.  I wonder how others approach the process.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

It's the Reader's Choice Book Club on the Fiction General Discussion board. It is fairly new, it started as response to wanting to revive the B&N boards. We don't have an official moderator, but we manage well enough with help from Maria. There is a schedule up now for the reminder of the year. We nominate and vote for our choices. Check it out here. We only nominate books that are already in paperback to make sure they are more accessible and also to reduce the possibility of conflict with another board as many other boards do new reads. That didn't happen this time with The Time Traveler's Wife as the Romance board is doing it, so we moved our month. Our group also starts mid-month instead of at the beginning as some boards will get slow after the first couple of weeks.This month we are doing Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas, who I think (hope) will be joining us at some point depending on her time constraints. But she seemed willing.

Fozzie wrote:

What Fiction Club?  Here on B&N?  News to me!  Thanks!

I really liked The Meaning of Night.

I bought The Lace Reader too.  It looks intriguing!

debbook wrote:

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I found it!  Thanks so much.  I will definitely hold off on The Time Traveler's Wife until December.

debbook wrote:
It's the Reader's Choice Book Club on the Fiction General Discussion board. It is fairly new, it started as response to wanting to revive the B&N boards. We don't have an official moderator, but we manage well enough with help from Maria. There is a schedule up now for the reminder of the year. We nominate and vote for our choices. Check it out here. We only nominate books that are already in paperback to make sure they are more accessible and also to reduce the possibility of conflict with another board as many other boards do new reads. That didn't happen this time with The Time Traveler's Wife as the Romance board is doing it, so we moved our month. Our group also starts mid-month instead of at the beginning as some boards will get slow after the first couple of weeks.This month we are doing Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas, who I think (hope) will be joining us at some point depending on her time constraints. But she seemed willing.

Laura

KathyS
0 Kudos

Virgins..Continued

[ Edited ]

I brought this discussion over to here, and out of the Nominating thread.

Choisya wrote:

So how do you choose a book in a bookshop/library Kathy if you know nothing about it whatsoever??  I wouldn't want to spend my money unless I knew something about the book and the author. 

Choisya, I didn't say I didn't know about it "whatsoever"....I do know about books, before I read them.  What I was trying to say was, I don't want to be fed the story.  I do read reviews, reviews that don't tell me the story, blow by blow....and I listen to what other people may say about these books, on these discussions boards----whether they liked it, or not;  I listen to their over-view of their general feelings were about the writing, the story, things like that.  I have friends that tell me about books they've read, ones they know will appeal to my tastes. 

One of the moderators I've been on with  for years, has recommended books to me that were going to be discussed, knowing my taste in reading material.  Moderators get the books before the discussion starts, and they've read them before the discussion begins, generally...this is just a few ways I know about new authors, and new books.  I also have my favorite contemporary authors, and know their writing styles.  This is a major criteria for me, also.

We have discussed this many times in LbW and there are those who want to come 'virgin' to a book and 'non-virgins' who want to have read around it, about the author etc. before they commit themselves.  I think quite a few of us approach book reading here as a kind of light study and in that light we analyse a book, look at historical background, themes, authors' lives etc ec. in the way we might have done at college.

I don't have a problem being on boards were people have already read the book, or about them, etc.  But, also, I don't look at a book discussion in the same way as a lot of people might.   As long as the discussion is broken down in a way that these people who know a lot about the book aren't going to give spoilers away to those that may not have read that far.  I should qualify something.  I'm not saying I haven't read books before I've started a discussion.  I just make sure I keep track of where we are in the discussion, and categorize my thoughts [in taking notes this helps me to follow each thread, and participate along with everyone else.] as to not give anything away that will come in the next part of that discussion.  But it is fun to speculate with others, about the story, and see if we can come close to what is going to happen next.  If we already know what happens, then it makes it difficult to "guess".   And it takes the fun out of the discussion, for me.  I see it all as playfulness in observation.

This is just an observation from me:  I see the lack of participation  by board members in threads, where they have already read beyond these parts, so they don't take a full part in the book as it progresses.  Of course, this is the choice of all who participate, don't get me wrong,  I'm not complaining, I'm just observing.

I generally will read a book in thirds, mainly because a lot of discussions used to be broken down in this way.  As a lot of you may recall, we had questions that were submitted to us by the publishers.  It was a study in observation.  I would read these questions, and look for the answers within the text, as I read into that next section. 

I do love to read about the authors, but generally not to the extent that it becomes a 'study'.  I try to only study the text as it's given to me by these authors, and all of this added information I read as I have time.  I grant you, it does add enjoyment to the general overview of the reading, as long as it doesn't tell me "too" much, and I see it as an enjoyment  by many, but I don't always have time to venture off into that area of study, either.  And for everyone that does have the time, it's wonderful that this information is given.

To do think it is necessary (for some of us) to read around the book, not just to read the text alone.   A good author, after all, puts a great many allusions/metaphors/allegories into her/his book  which are often worth exploring. Some find it easy to 'see' these allusions etc as they read, others need help and yet others do not care to learn about them. There are a number of different folks here and hopefully all tastes are catered for.  

As I think you know me, now, I do like to "explore" these authors' within their text. I see everyone on these boards as seeing things differently, and that's the great fun of viewing what other participants have to say to these 'findings', along the way.  If something is not clear, then I do delve a little further into these things.  But I don't find that it's always necessary for me to do this, as it pertains to the story.  I think it really does have to do with the author's writing style. 

I think we have found, in general, that interest is kept up by the 'tangents' we discuss, as well as by the book itself because it makes the book richer.  Sometimes, if folks are not enjoying the book, discussing the 'tangents' can prove as rewarding as the book itself.  This was the case with Rebecca, which started off badly because folks didn't like the characters but then got very lively around some of the 'moral' points brought up by the novel.    

I'm not apposed to enriching the text,  but I am apposed to too many tangents, which can distract from following each thread, especially when people will not change the subject title.  I fall into conversations that sometimes have nothing to do with the discussions, and also discussions that give plotlines away.  I'm not saying that this board is like that, I'm just saying, in general, I've found a lack of consideration by some of these boards, in the past. 

I admit to falling into these tangent discussions, and this I don't like to do.  I've come from the "old" school of BNU, and having my hands slapped for tangent writing, by the Systems Operators, and being sent to the Com Room more than once,  was embarrassing, but this was the way I learned....but I'm finding myself falling back into it, once again, and it unnerves me to no end with this new BNBC's.  Every board seems to have their own rules, depending on the moderators.  As I said, I lean to the purist side of discussions.

It is also rather difficult to have a discussion of an unread novel when folks here read at different speeds or have differing amounts of time to spare.  I can pick up a novel like TGK and choose to read it day and night until I finish it but other poor folks have to go to work!   Then at what stage do we begin to talk about it?  When do those who have read it join in?  I think we just need to be flexible and to avoid drastic spoilers when we can.  There have been some very enjoyable reads on LbW amongst 'virgins' and 'non-virgins':smileyvery-happy:.

Choiysa, as I said, we all have to keep from going off onto tangents, unless it's here in the Com Room.  In the threads of discussion, themselves,  this is what can cause Spoilers...and keeping within the sections that are designated for us to discuss.  Keep an eye on subject headers, and we all can follow along at our own pace.  It's not difficult.  I'm certainly not a virgin, in any sense of the word, but I do like order...hm...that makes no sense at all, does it? HA  I hope I haven't disrupted this board with all of this discussion.  I really don't have a problem with anybody, or even the way everyone is participating.  I have no complaints.  How did I get off onto this subject, anyway?  I guess this what is called, a tangent!? :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by KathyS on 09-07-2008 10:47 AM
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Virgins..Continued

Thanks for that full response Kathy.  I understand what you were saying better now. 
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Perfect Pitch -- Audience with the Queen

Thought this was a bit of fun:

Sound ON.  

The first clip is this 6-year-old singer's tryout on Britain's "Got Talent":

Clip 1:  http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/7383/1/

The second clip is the finals

Clip 2: http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/7440/1/

The third clip is after she won the finals and after she sang for the Queen. This is a song and photos from her first recording:
Clip 3:  http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/19214/1/

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Perfect Pitch -- Audience with the Queen

She reminds me of the Voice of an Angel welsh singer, though Connie's voice is a bit breathier. 

But nice clips.  Thanks for posting!

Peppermill wrote:

Thought this was a bit of fun:

Sound ON.  

The first clip is this 6-year-old singer's tryout on Britain's "Got Talent":

Clip 1:  http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/7383/1/

The second clip is the finals

Clip 2: http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/7440/1/

The third clip is after she won the finals and after she sang for the Queen. This is a song and photos from her first recording:
Clip 3:  http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/19214/1/

0 Kudos

Cranford

Last night my PBS channel showed the BBC Cranford. I watched the whole thing--all three episodes in one fell sweep, with time out during fundraising pleas to watch the Arts channel and something on CBC about chronic contest entrants. 7pm-2am. I haven't been very productive today.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
AJ981979
0 Kudos

Hello, what a lovely little nook!  I'm AJ, I swing by depending on the book, altho I tend to follow discussions even for those I don't read.  I'm here because I miss others' input on what I'm reading and don't mind being stretched on my reading selections.

I've learned to manage my reading pile so it doesn't get insane (Melissa - I have no idea how you're keeping up with all that!).  I have...

The Green Knight

Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Joan Medlicott) - this for my neighborhood club

The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)

Downtown: My Manhattan (Pete Hamill)

~ Happiness is a good book, a sleeping cat, and a glass of wine. ~
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Cranford

Yes that Cranford series was excellent.  Tonight I watched an hilarious 'fantasy' on ITV based on Pride & Prejudice.  The fantasy was about an avid reader of P&P, in love with Mr D, doing some 'time travel' to their times and 'appearing' in the book as a friend of Elizabeth's (who is in London I think in another novel:smileysurprised:). Because she knows the plot, dialogue etc. she intervenes to make things go right, with disastrous consequences.  And she introduces modern things like paracetemol when Jane was ill at the Bingleys and sings 'Down Town' when asked to sing, to great acclaim.  She engages herself to nasty Mr Collins to keep him away from Charlotte but assaults him at the Netherfield ball when he gets too familiar. He then gets married to Jane and Bingley is devastated. The series ended tonight on a scene where she warned Wickham, who had just arrived, not to have anything to do with Lydia!    I have not described it very well but I hope you get to see it because it is very clever and a good hoot to boot!   I think the idea is that everything comes right in the end - thank goodness!

Laurel wrote:
Last night my PBS channel showed the BBC Cranford. I watched the whole thing--all three episodes in one fell sweep, with time out during fundraising pleas to watch the Arts channel and something on CBC about chronic contest entrants. 7pm-2am. I haven't been very productive today.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Cranford

That sounds hysterical. It reminds me of the Jasper Fforde novels, where the characters in the books get bored playing the same aprt and try to do other things.

I wonder if that show is available over here. I've never heard of it, but I'd love to watch it.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: 'Lost in Austen'

[ Edited ]

You can watch bits of it here debbook.

debbook wrote:

That sounds hysterical. It reminds me of the Jasper Fforde novels, where the characters in the books get bored playing the same aprt and try to do other things.

I wonder if that show is available over here. I've never heard of it, but I'd love to watch it.

Message Edited by Choisya on 09-11-2008 07:36 PM
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Thanks C, but it won't let me watch because I'm not in the UK. Maybe some US producer will steal the idea and bring it over here. Hmm, I wonder if that ever happens:smileyvery-happy:

Choisya wrote:

You can watch bits of it here debbook.

debbook wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 09-11-2008 07:36 PM

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

But its on youtube. I should have known.Going to watch it now.