Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

A Dog's Purpose (from a six-year-old)

A DOG'S PURPOSE (From a 6-year old)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker.  The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer.  I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure.  They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him.  Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.  Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.  We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.  Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him.  What came out of his mouth next stunned me.  I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life---like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'  The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy-ride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simply growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently
ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Re: Well, nobody's perfect

Melissa--How can you keep track of that many storylines at once? I can read only one book at a time.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: A Dog's Purpose (from a six-year-old)

Kathy that's a beautiful story. I would love to live my dogs' life. I am currently sitting on the floor b/c they have the furniture and I don't want to disturb them, they bring me so much joy, it's the least I can do.:smileyhappy:

KathyS wrote:
A DOG'S PURPOSE (From a 6-year old)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker.  The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer.  I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure.  They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him.  Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.  Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.  We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.  Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him.  What came out of his mouth next stunned me.  I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life---like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'  The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy-ride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simply growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently
ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: A Dog's Purpose (from a six-year-old)

Yes, I'm glad you liked the story.  I liked it, even though it did make me cry.  It was sent to me, today.  I thought of Anax, and hoped he'd be okay in this story.  I thought about my one daughter, who has a dog that is the love of her life.  Her previous dog died of cancer. It was the most heart wrenching call I'd ever gotten from her.  I shouldn't have dogs, I have asthma, although my youngest daughter had one, and a cat, and they lived with me for a year.   She's allergic to cats, and I'm allergic to dogs...We all survived, thank goodness.  I loved those two characters, a dog and a cat who loved to cuddle and sleep together.  

Good thoughts for the day,

Kathy

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

I'm not sure (sometimes I don't do very well - see Proust).  I have a mildly eidetic memory, which means I tend to remember most of what I see, so I can usually pick up where I left off in most of my books.  Part of the reason why I have so many is due to my mood (if I'm not feeling it, I have to switch books) and the fact that I have the attention span of a magpie somedays.  I like shiny, things - nice, shiny, new books :smileyvery-happy:

foxycat wrote:
Melissa--How can you keep track of that many storylines at once? I can read only one book at a time.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Melissa, how do you feel about discussing this book we are on , now...The Green Knight?  Does it interest you, or are you too busy?  Or do you generally not participate in your book groups?  Just curious.  I was also wondering who elected this book for discussion.

Kathy

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Most days I just try to hang in there

I really would like to post more.  However...life in all it's time conuming forms generally interrupts a number of my plans.  I don't like to post drivel for everyone to read so I feel that I'm often limited to either what I can pull off the top of my head quickly rather than a well thought-out reply.  If someone posts something I also agree with, but I have nothing to add to, I generally don't post a reply.  If I think it's a great post, then I'll say so (I'm just not the type of moderator to rotely post "good job" or "I agree" after every post - it creates that many more posts for everyone to click through).  Sometimes the conversation moves so quickly that some days I do well just to read through everything!  I also hesitate to participate much before the end of the month - because I've read the whole book, and have had time to reflect on how the book works as a whole, I don't want to mess up and inadvertently drop a spoiler on everyone.

As far as TGK in particular, I find the book very interesting.  My knowledge of philosophy and schools of thought is like a black hole (my brain sucks them in but has difficulty releasing them) so Murdoch has me soundly trounced in that respect.  I read somewhere that Murdoch didn't much like editing her work (or having others do it for her) and as I look back through TGK I can see places where it could have used a stubborn editor.

(TGK actually tied Brick Lane for fourth place in that voting round; because I had never read either author I exercised my moderator privileges and decided that we would read both)

KathyS wrote:

Melissa, how do you feel about discussing this book we are on , now...The Green Knight?  Does it interest you, or are you too busy?  Or do you generally not participate in your book groups?  Just curious.  I was also wondering who elected this book for discussion.

Kathy

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Sorry

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by KathyS on 09-21-2008 09:02 PM
KathyS
0 Kudos

Gotta go

Melissa, I just wanted to say thank you for allowing me to come to your board to play with this Murdoch book, and picking everyone's brain!  I've enjoyed all the informative information and discussion.

After tonight, I won't be checking the boards for a while.  I sort of explained about writing.  It's also addicting to see what's being said,  and then wanting to participate in more discussions, and I can't right now. 

I've loved talking about this book with everyone.  If the author were here, I'd thank her, too!

It's been a real pleasure.

All stay well,

soon,

Kathy S.

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Re: Most days I just try to hang in there

I am new to this board but am enjoying it immensely. I am also going through Proust at the moment as well as TGK. I plan to read the weekend away---Brick Lane is sitting here as well. Also readig The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. There are others as well. This weekend I will try to get through TGK - a little late I realize but I wanted to be familiar with it for future conversations. I have read Sir Gawain many times, also Morte d'Arthur.

deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo also, I am really enjoying it. Are you reading it for the October discussion?

debbaker wrote:

I am new to this board but am enjoying it immensely. I am also going through Proust at the moment as well as TGK. I plan to read the weekend away---Brick Lane is sitting here as well. Also readig The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. There are others as well. This weekend I will try to get through TGK - a little late I realize but I wanted to be familiar with it for future conversations. I have read Sir Gawain many times, also Morte d'Arthur.

deb

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Not quite ready yet but I do like the book so far. Are you ready?:smileyhappy:
Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

william hazlitt
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through. Hopefully, I'll be done by the time the discussion starts but I have alot to read for October.

debbaker wrote:
Not quite ready yet but I do like the book so far. Are you ready?:smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Me too!
Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

william hazlitt
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Keeping the room orderly

Melissa--

You said you dropped the old community Room because it became a  labyrinth. I think the solution is for people to remember to change the subject line in their discussions. Maybe you can put a sticky reminder in here. 

Are we still using the grand old library rooms that we chose for the Community Room? With our respective cats on our laps?

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Keeping the room orderly

foxycat wrote:

Melissa--

You said you dropped the old community Room because it became a  labyrinth. I think the solution is for people to remember to change the subject line in their discussions. Maybe you can put a sticky reminder in here. 

Are we still using the grand old library rooms that we chose for the Community Room? With our respective cats on our laps?

I'm guilty of that. I will try to be better.

Does this library allow dogs that think they are cats? I have one of those.

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Only if he behaves like a cat. No subservience allowed.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

And how about a cat who is sure he is a dog? He's named Riley for the life he leads.

debbook wrote:

foxycat wrote:

Melissa--

I'm guilty of that. I will try to be better.

Does this library allow dogs that think they are cats? I have one of those.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

I can see a dog wanting to be cat, but can't imagine a motiove for the opposite.

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk129/foxycat123/catelection.jpg[/IMG]

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Hilarious!

foxycat wrote:

I can see a dog wanting to be cat, but can't imagine a motiove for the opposite.

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk129/foxycat123/catelection.jpg[/IMG]

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton