Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: 'Underwear as Outerwear'

I think LbW readers will be interested and amused by this BBC Radio 4 piece broadcast this morning:-0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7689554.stm

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: What's next?

[ Edited ]
I see that B&N have listed The Gathering in Announcements for November reads Melissa. What date are we starting? 
Message Edited by Choisya on 10-27-2008 08:19 AM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

We'll start Monday, November 3.

Choisya wrote:
I see that B&N have listed The Gathering in Announcements for November reads Melissa. What date are we starting? 

Message Edited by Choisya on 10-27-2008 08:19 AM

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I picked up my copy of The Mysteries of Udolpho at B&N last night.   This edition wasn't due according to the announcement until November, and I only ordered a week or two ago.  The print seems reasonable in size for my eyes.  I see from the reviews that supposedly the tale starts slowly but builds in interest.

(Also enjoyed the complimentary cappuccino offered this month at my usual store!  Thx!)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

It's always a pleasant surprise when your book comes in early (mine came in last week - same edition).  I think Oxford has started to realize that perhaps tiny print isn't such a good thing for long-term readership; the new editions seems to have better and larger printing than the 90s editions.

I have Castle of Otranto on order as well.  I figured it was a good time to read the main work by the instigator of the Gothic trend for contrast.

Peppermill wrote:

I picked up my copy of The Mysteries of Udolpho at B&N last night.   This edition wasn't due according to the announcement until November, and I only ordered a week or two ago.  The print seems reasonable in size for my eyes.  I see from the reviews that supposedly the tale starts slowly but builds in interest.

(Also enjoyed the complimentary cappuccino offered this month at my usual store!  Thx!)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

It's always a pleasant surprise when your book comes in early (mine came in last week - same edition).  I think Oxford has started to realize that perhaps tiny print isn't such a good thing for long-term readership; the new editions seems to have better and larger printing than the 90s editions.

I have Castle of Otranto on order as well.  I figured it was a good time to read the main work by the instigator of the Gothic trend for contrast.

Peppermill wrote:

I got my Oxford edition a few weeks ago.  I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but the print didn't look too bad.  It's definitely larger than the complete works of Shakespeare (Illustrated Stratford) that I've been reading for the Shakespeare group!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I have Castle of Otranto on order as well. I figured it was a good time to read the main work by the instigator of the Gothic trend for contrast.

Castle of Otranto is a riot, and a very quick read (unlike Udolpho!)

0 Kudos

I think the era of Brits not showing their wealth is over. LOL.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

When I see the royals and other aristos displaying their expensive kn****** I'll agree FC.  :smileyvery-happy:.

foxycat wrote:

Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

When I see the royals and other aristos displaying their expensive kn****** I'll agree FC.  :smileyvery-happy:.

foxycat wrote:

You mean knickers? Is that self-bowdlerized or done by the site?  Why is it a I always associate you with the Queen?

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:

Choisya wrote:

foxycat wrote:

You mean knickers? Is that self-bowdlerized or done by the site?  Why is it a I always associate you with the Queen?

I had assumed "knickers" as well, foxycat, but who knows, since she decided to censor herself?

knockers?

knives?

knockwursts?

:smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

New avatars

I've gone through my Preferences and Profile. Can't find the place tro choose my new avatar.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

ROFL.   I censored myself as it is quite a rude word of exclamation in the UK:smileyvery-happy:.  The Queen FC!!! What an insult!:smileysurprised::smileyhappy:

dulcinea3 wrote:

foxycat wrote:

Choisya wrote:

foxycat wrote:

I had assumed "knickers" as well, foxycat, but who knows, since she decided to censor herself?

knockers?

knives?

knockwursts?

:smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: New avatars

[ Edited ]

Rochelle -- did you make the selection about creating your B&N profile?  When I click on my screen name, I get a selection that says: See My B&N profile.  When I click on that, I get my profile with a translucent overlay that says Set Up Your B&N profile.  If I click on "Go to My B&N", I can see my avatar and a selection below it permits me to change it.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.  (I have had such fun with this new system.  :smileysurprised:  :smileysad:  )

foxycat wrote:
I've gone through my Preferences and Profile. Can't find the place tro choose my new avatar.

Message Edited by Peppermill on 11-01-2008 10:35 PM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Re: New avatars

I was already registered at the store years ago, had no profile, just email and PW. I'll look for it. I don't think the new system is fun. I belong to several other boards and email lists, and they're just wasting a lot of my time. I might just leave it blank.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Next book selection.

[ Edited ]

I have been wondering if there are any female Native American authors whom we could consider for our next selection? 

(I think the new avatars are pathetic! Surely B&N can do better than this or allow a facility which lets us load our own.)

Message Edited by Choisya on 11-03-2008 10:03 PM
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Helen Hunt Jackson is not native American, but she wrote beautifully and tragically about them in Ramona. Or maybe they were all Hispanics; I'm not sure.

Choisya wrote:

I have been wondering if there are any female Native American authors whom we could consider for our next selection? 

Message Edited by Laurel on 11-03-2008 07:55 PM
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I personally love Barbara Kingsolver

Choisya wrote:

(I think the new avatars are pathetic! Surely B&N can do better than this or allow a facility which lets us load our own.)

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I've read her Poisonwood Bible but nothing else.  I don't think she is a Native American though?

debbook wrote:
I personally love Barbara Kingsolver

Choisya wrote:

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I believe Louise Erdrich is part Ojibwa and grew up in North Dakota where many of her novels are set.

Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse  

Choisya wrote:

Melissa W.