Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Udolpho

Man I've had Mysteries of Udolpho sitting on my desk since I first heard this group was going to do it and I still haven't had time to even open it!  Luckily I actually have a bit of free time this weekend so I'm really looking forward to joining in next week.  This is a book I've been wanting to read for a long time and just never got around to it
________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Udolpho

It's one of those iconic books in English literature that we see referred to frequently but don't happen to get around to reading. So I, too, and really pleased that we have this impetus to actually get to it. 

 


Jon_B wrote:
Man I've had Mysteries of Udolpho sitting on my desk since I first heard this group was going to do it and I still haven't had time to even open it!  Luckily I actually have a bit of free time this weekend so I'm really looking forward to joining in next week.  This is a book I've been wanting to read for a long time and just never got around to it

 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Udolpho

Udolpho was mentioned several times when we were discussing other Gothic novels here Jon - Wuthering Heights, Northanger Abbey and Rebecca - so I decided to make it my nomination for this month.  It is worth reading just for the scenic descriptions - do they remind you of Gascony and did you do any climbing in the Pyrenees?   I have been through them by coach and train but alas! have not climbed them.      

 


Jon_B wrote:
Man I've had Mysteries of Udolpho sitting on my desk since I first heard this group was going to do it and I still haven't had time to even open it!  Luckily I actually have a bit of free time this weekend so I'm really looking forward to joining in next week.  This is a book I've been wanting to read for a long time and just never got around to it

 

 
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Udolpho

Udolpho was mentioned several times when we were discussing other Gothic novels here Jon - Wuthering Heights, Northanger Abbey and Rebecca

 

Perhaps more accurate to say in some of those cases purportedly Gothic.   We've been over that enough times that we don't need to reopen the controversy, but it should be noted for the record that it is a controversy here and that baldly calling those novels all Gothic is not universally accepted on this board.  

 

However, I think there is and will be no controversy that Udolpho itself is truly a Gothic novel; perhaps, along with Otranto, one of the definitive Gothic novels.  

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Udolpho


Everyman wrote:

However, I think there is and will be no controversy that Udolpho itself is truly a Gothic novel; perhaps, along with Otranto, one of the definitive Gothic novels.  


Well....  I didn't read the entire introduction to my Oxford edition, because I wanted to get into the novel itself, but the intro's author seemed to have the theory that only parts of Udolpho are truly Gothic.  For example, the first part with the travels in the Pyrenees, and the period at Madame Cheron's do not have many Gothic elements.  Once Emily gets to Italy, that should be changing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Udolpho

Good point.  Our first week's reading isn't yet Gothic, though it does have a bit of foreshadowing. 

 


dulcinea3 wrote:

Everyman wrote:

However, I think there is and will be no controversy that Udolpho itself is truly a Gothic novel; perhaps, along with Otranto, one of the definitive Gothic novels.  


Well....  I didn't read the entire introduction to my Oxford edition, because I wanted to get into the novel itself, but the intro's author seemed to have the theory that only parts of Udolpho are truly Gothic.  For example, the first part with the travels in the Pyrenees, and the period at Madame Cheron's do not have many Gothic elements.  Once Emily gets to Italy, that should be changing.


 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

Hi,

I came across this article about book clubs. All things considered, I really like my B&N book club better!

Danielle

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

At least nobody flings a glass of wine in your face here!

 

And really, this is about forty book clubs rolled into one site, so there's a place for almost everybody.  


chadadanielleKR wrote:

Hi,

I came across this article about book clubs. All things considered, I really like my B&N book club better!

Danielle


 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

I read that article this morning.  I agree, there are so many different groups here that there's something offered or you will be able to find other readers who share your interests.

 

I also participate in a little book group made up of booksellers/former booksellers at my store - we're all friends, anyways, so we've never had those types of conflicts given out in the article.  There's really no taboo subject when we get together (we usually devolve into complaining about fellow co-workers we don't like) and we always talk about the book.  At least a little bit.


Everyman wrote:

At least nobody flings a glass of wine in your face here!

 

And really, this is about forty book clubs rolled into one site, so there's a place for almost everybody.  


chadadanielleKR wrote:

Hi,

I came across this article about book clubs. All things considered, I really like my B&N book club better!

Danielle


 

 


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

We laughed and congratulated ourselves that we have been in existence since 1991 -- without an expensive consultant!

 

Another book club in my community has apparently been in existence for over 30 years -- my understanding is that it started as an AAUW (American Association of University Women) group.

 


pedsphleb wrote:

I read that article this morning.  I agree, there are so many different groups here that there's something offered or you will be able to find other readers who share your interests.

 

I also participate in a little book group made up of booksellers/former booksellers at my store - we're all friends, anyways, so we've never had those types of conflicts given out in the article.  There's really no taboo subject when we get together (we usually devolve into complaining about fellow co-workers we don't like) and we always talk about the book.  At least a little bit.


Everyman wrote:

At least nobody flings a glass of wine in your face here!

 

And really, this is about forty book clubs rolled into one site, so there's a place for almost everybody.  


chadadanielleKR wrote:

Hi,

I came across this article about book clubs. All things considered, I really like my B&N book club better!

Danielle




 

 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

LOL Danielle, me too!  I have never belonged to a 'real' book club and didn't realise there were such power struggles!

 

 

 


chadadanielleKR wrote:

Hi,

I came across this article about book clubs. All things considered, I really like my B&N book club better!

Danielle


 

New User
Calencir2009
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

First, let me say hello since this is my first post.  I have been wary of book clubs because I have always heard horror stories from my friends.  I have just discovered your group here and while I still need to read a few past posts to catch up with the discussion, you are reading a book that has been sitting on my shelf for a while begging to be read.  So here I am, looking forward to joining in but in the meantime to avoid repetition and the propensity to appear foolish (giggle) I will try to catch up with the rest of you.  Forgive me if I am pretty silent until then. :smileywink:
Someday...someday...I will finish that book I call myself "writing".
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: THE BOOK NOOK: Welcome to the LbW Common Room!

Welcome!  Jump right in and you have plenty of time to catch up because we'll be working on Udolpho until the end of January.


Calencir2009 wrote:
First, let me say hello since this is my first post.  I have been wary of book clubs because I have always heard horror stories from my friends.  I have just discovered your group here and while I still need to read a few past posts to catch up with the discussion, you are reading a book that has been sitting on my shelf for a while begging to be read.  So here I am, looking forward to joining in but in the meantime to avoid repetition and the propensity to appear foolish (giggle) I will try to catch up with the rest of you.  Forgive me if I am pretty silent until then. :smileywink:


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Happy Holidays!

Happy Holidays everyone! :smileyvery-happy:  If you're travelling please be careful and watch the weather.  I'll be on during the break so feel free to keep discussing the first half of Udolpho.  If you really can't wait until January to talk about the second half :smileywink: go ahead and use the "whole novel" thread until I open up the week 4 thread.

 

 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Holidays!

I have been partying for the last 3 days as our family had its annual get-together over the weekend.  So my holidays finished yesterday and I have been in bed most of today, recovering.:smileyvery-happy:  So Happy Holidays everyone - have a wonderful time and as Melissa says, drive carefully especially if there is bad weather around (it is very mild over here).

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Holidays!

Choisya wrote:  it is very mild over here

 

Would you like some snow and cold?  We have plenty of both to share.  Near record snow and the longest spell of below-freezing temperatures (day and night) in decades.   And more snow coming tomorrow night, on top of what is up to 17 inches on the ground in some areas in the lowlands and more than four feet up in the mountains, and winter only started yesterday.  

 

Well over half the flights out of Seattle cancelled, and hundreds sleeping in the terminals. Almost all interstate bus services shut down.  Trains up and down the coast cancelled.  

 

So any frigid, pipe-freezing cold, or packed snow and icy hills streets you want to import, we would be glad to provide.  

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Holidays!

Mild in Paris as well, we hardly need a coat and the open air ice skating rinks are melting (there is a beautiful and free one in front the Paris townhouse for the holidays)

But it shouldn't last.  

 

Happy holidays everyone.

 

Danielle

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Holidays from Southern Calif!

Loving wishes for my LbW friends!  Stay safe, warm, and enjoy the holidays with family and friends.  A lot of Eman's nasty state weather has affected even the people here in So. Ca., being stranded in LAX for days, so I wish all of these people a safe return to their homes.

 

We're expecting rain through Christmas day, here where I live, with snow in the mountains. 

 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All!

 

Kathy S.

Frequent Contributor
book-nut
Posts: 131
Registered: ‎11-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Holidays from Southern Calif!

The weather here in South Florida is lovely.  Temperatures are in the 70's.  Ok, I'll be quiet ~ but give me some leeway to crow a little, we've had 3 major hurricanes in the last 4 years, and I was here for ALL of them! (lol!!!)

 

~ book-nut

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Holidays from Southern Calif!


book-nut wrote:

The weather here in South Florida is lovely.  Temperatures are in the 70's.  Ok, I'll be quiet ~ but give me some leeway to crow a little, we've had 3 major hurricanes in the last 4 years, and I was here for ALL of them! (lol!!!)

 

~ book-nut


 

Book-nut, you're allowed! 

It's 10:30 a.m., and 42 degrees and breezy....not a cloud in the sky, today! 

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood", Yea! 

This is winter, here where I live!

We've only had to deal with fires, floods, blizzards and winds this past year! 

I'm not complaining, today!

Happy New Year!

 

Kathy