Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE DOLL: "A Difference in Temperament"

Please use this thread for discussion of "A Difference in Temperament".

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Re: THE DOLL: "A Difference in Temperament"

[ Edited ]

I loved the insight into human nature in this story.  This couple really love each other, but have a hard time understanding each other because of their 'difference in temperament'.  He loves her so much, but wants some time for himself, while she wants to do everything together.  This creates a tension between the two of them that just escalates and escalates.  He wishes she would understand, while she feels he doesn't want to be with her enough.  When he wants to go out and she objects, he offers to stay, but she doesn't want him to stay just because she wants him to (although he really would like to stay), and her reaction drives him to leave.  When he buys her an azalea and is excited to give her his gift, she just thinks he did it to appease her.  What I found ironic was that his thoughts are mostly about how much he loves her, while her thoughts are mostly about how he doesn't love her enough.  She keeps thinking about how she wishes he would make some gesture, but when he does, she doesn't recognize it.  I wonder how it will all turn out eventually.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I loved the insight into human nature in this story.  This couple really love each other, but have a hard time understanding each other because of their 'difference in temperament'.  He loves her so much, but wants some time for himself, while she wants to do everything together.  This creates a tension between the two of them that just escalates and escalates.  He wishes she would understand, while she feels he doesn't want to be with her enough.  When he wants to go out and she objects, he offers to stay, but she doesn't want him to stay just because she wants him to (although he really would like to stay), and her reaction drives him to leave.  When he buys her an azalea and is excited to give her his gift, she just thinks he did it to appease her.  What I found ironic was that his thoughts are mostly about how much he loves her, while her thoughts are mostly about how he doesn't love her enough.  She keeps thinking about how she wishes he would make some gesture, but when he does, she doesn't recognize it.  I wonder how it will all turn out eventually.

Here's what I wrote about this story:

A vignette on saying what you mean and how to treat a spouse.  Nothing special.

I am glad you found more to like in it than I did.  :smileyhappy:

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

I think it is a very sad story, about how things can turn out badly between to people even though they sincerely love each other. Their love for each other is so powerful and so blind that they just don't see how to behave between each other in order to make the other one happy. There is a complete misunderstanding of the other one's need. I think they will have a hard time being happy together.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

chadadanielleKR wrote:

I think it is a very sad story, about how things can turn out badly between to people even though they sincerely love each other. Their love for each other is so powerful and so blind that they just don't see how to behave between each other in order to make the other one happy. There is a complete misunderstanding of the other one's need. I think they will have a hard time being happy together.

I agree.  I think it will just keep getting worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia